• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Taper - Clinic Can't Dispense < 5 mg

pandamnit-in-fl

Bluelighter
I've been on methadone for a few years, max dosage was ~85 mg, started a very slow taper last March dropping 2 mg every week until I hit about 15ish, then 1 mg every 10 days.

I'm now at 5 mg and have been for 9 days. Last week the doctor informed me their dispensing machine cannot dispense in units less than 5 mg (when I was in Seattle, people went down 1 mg to 0, which was my plan).

He recommended I dose every other day until steady state, then every 3rd day, 4th day but then to jump off bc you can't miss four days. I charted the half-life against dosage in my system every 12 hours, and by about the 6th day I'd be around 1.7 mg (average in system).

I just started a job that I can't afford to lose (work remotely). The doc told me jumping off from five would be no problem and then told me how many patients cold turkey in jail from amounts like 135 mg and added "and they were fine". He implied I was being a pussy.

I know everyone is different, but to those with experience: Is a jump from 5 to 0 something that you could have handled over a weekend? If not, does the doc's plan sound like it would have worked for you? If you had a job you can't lose, how would you approach this? I saved 100 ml of GHB for the w/d and use a pipette for accurate dosing (I plan on using it during the day if needed).

Thanks!

5mg to 0mg is actually pretty rough. But it takes a while for it to get bad. Day 9 is when it reaches its peak. The whole acute withdrawal is about 21 days.

You might consider using a red kratom at 5g every 5 hours to help ease you out. Just don't get addicted to the kratom.

No one is fine cold turkeying from 135mg. Just because they survive doesn't mean they were fine. Reminds me of the faulty logic people use for covid-19: if you survive it you're fine.

Do you have to consume on site, or do you take it away?
Consume on site during taper but the Sun take home. If you're thinking I could take it home and use a pipette to taper myself down, I had this idea:

You know how they give you a cup for water with a dose cup? Mix small amount of water with dose, pour half in both cups, that's 2.5. Split the remainder and you've got 1.25. So I COULD try the cup method to go to 3.75, etc. But mixing with water dilutes the concentration and hence the efficacy.

Given this - what would your idea be?

5mg to 0mg is actually pretty rough. But it takes a while for it to get bad. Day 9 is when it reaches its peak. The whole acute withdrawal is about 21 days.

You might consider using a red kratom at 5g every 5 hours to help ease you out. Just don't get addicted to the kratom.

No one is fine cold turkeying from 135mg. Just because they survive doesn't mean they were fine. Reminds me of the faulty logic people use for covid-19: if you survive it you're fine.
Thank you for the feedback - Kratom is a good idea. Warning noted.

I have a few questions:
  • What would you recommend as a target jumping off dosage *range* (I'd be using improvised and likely inaccurate methods)?
  • Is there any range for which the jump isn't very bad?
  • If someone is down at 1 mg and they finally get to 0 mg...it SOUNDS like such a small amount that it's hard for me to imagine it being bad, but then again, the binding affinity must be strong to half such a long half-life.
FWIW - while methadone has a half-life of 24-36 hours, that's for when you take a dose (peaks around 12 hours, then the next 12 hours back to "trough" - about 1/3rd dose). So when you don't redose the half-life is actually about 12.

what the fuck does covid have to do with this? lol

99% of people who survive the 99.8% survivable virus, “covid” are , yes, FINE.

so not sure what you’re implying by that....

what the fuck does covid have to do with this? lol

99% of people who survive the 99.8% survivable virus, “covid” are , yes, FINE.

so not sure what you’re implying by that....
Was wondering the same damn thing. Maybe he's super skeered of da big bad killer virus Lol

Volumetric dosing...

take your 5mg of Methadone carry bottle in 80ml’s tang/water and simply devide it into 5 even volumes

you’ll have 1mg of Methadone per 1/5th separate volume.....dose how you see fit

Volumetric dosing...

take your 5mg of Methadone carry bottle in 80ml’s tang/water and simply devide it into 5 even volumes

you’ll have 1mg of Methadone per 1/5th separate volume.....dose how you see fit
This is a great idea and it is what i've been doing.