• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone / Subutex / Opioid alternatives

Yeah me too.

Methadone made food taste incredible in a way I've never experienced before. I've never enjoyed food much at all, it's always been something I had to force myself to do given my shitty appetite. But on methadone I enjoyed food in a way that is very foreign to me.

Needless to say I got quite fat on methadone, which is unusual for me as I've always been a lean muscular person. This never occurred with pills or heroin etc. Alot of opioids make me crave sweet things, but methadone made me crave all kinds of foods, like pizza's and pasta. I found myself eating all kinds of weird pastries and pies as well 🤣.

They way I got off of methadone to a fair degree was actually via exercise, mostly weightlifting. The fat melted off pretty quickly. I do miss the food appreciation that methadone brought sometimes. That and the naps. Although at 380mg/day of methadone those were more like nods than they were naps 🤔.
How did you ever get off it? Please help me. I am struggling so much…. And lately, the methadone is metabolizing too quickly. They put me on split doses because I was metabolizing it so fast, and now once again, after raising my dose to 40mg in the morning and 55mg at night, after like a month, I am once again unable to sleep at night all thru out the night and feeling withdrawal symptoms a couple hours before my dose. What do I do 😭 I feel so fucking trapped

You could switch back to subs maybe, i find if i have been taking them more than not i can skip a day easy,sometimes 2 but on methadone i made sure i had it every day.
But every body's different

How did you ever get off it? Please help me. I am struggling so much…. And lately, the methadone is metabolizing too quickly. They put me on split doses because I was metabolizing it so fast, and now once again, after raising my dose to 40mg in the morning and 55mg at night, after like a month, I am once again unable to sleep at night all thru out the night and feeling withdrawal symptoms a couple hours before my dose. What do I do 😭 I feel so fucking trapped

Same exact thing happened to me. I would take 240mg of methadone in the morning, and another 140mg in the early evening, yet I'd still wake up the next morning with withdrawal symptoms (feeling cold, uncomfortable, etc). I'd take my methadone immediately when I woke up in the morning and just had to sort of sit there in discomfort for an hour and half waiting to feel better. Which is crazy since 380mg/day of methadone is a shitload of methadone.

As far as how I got off, I just tapered very slowly. Exercising everyday really helped. Also taking hot baths daily helped with the aches and pain of the withdrawal (the relief sort of lasts a while after you get out).

The process wasn't too bad. But took a long time (particularly since my dose was so high). I got readdicted to opioids a few times after I got off of methadone, but never to that same level. These days I take opioids pretty rarely, like 1x a month a most. Back when I was on 380mg/day of methadone everyone assumed I'd be on it for life, since that is a "lifer" type dose.

So at 85mg/day, there is definitely alot of hope in your situation, but you have to be ready to get off of opioids. But if you're not, then don't rush it. I definitely don't think it would have worked well for me at all if I hadn't been exercising. Thing is, that worked well for me because I enjoy exercising, so if that was never your thing, then if can be harder. Also, as a male, due to much higher levels of testosterone and lower amounts of body fat, the visible results of exercising occur more quickly than they do for females, which can definitely make exercise seem less appealing. Still, its the only way I was able to get off methadone fairly quickly and smoothly. I think it could work for a female potentially.

Same exact thing happened to me. I would take 240mg of methadone in the morning, and another 140mg in the early evening, yet I'd still wake up the next morning with withdrawal symptoms (feeling cold, uncomfortable, etc). I'd take my methadone immediately when I woke up in the morning and just had to sort of sit there in discomfort for an hour and half waiting to feel better. Which is crazy since 380mg/day of methadone is a shitload of methadone.

As far as how I got off, I just tapered very slowly. Exercising everyday really helped. Also taking hot baths daily helped with the aches and pain of the withdrawal (the relief sort of lasts a while after you get out).

The process wasn't too bad. But took a long time (particularly since my dose was so high). I got readdicted to opioids a few times after I got off of methadone, but never to that same level. These days I take opioids pretty rarely, like 1x a month a most. Back when I was on 380mg/day of methadone everyone assumed I'd be on it for life, since that is a "lifer" type dose.

So at 85mg/day, there is definitely alot of hope in your situation, but you have to be ready to get off of opioids. But if you're not, then don't rush it. I definitely don't think it would have worked well for me at all if I hadn't been exercising. Thing is, that worked well for me because I enjoy exercising, so if that was never your thing, then if can be harder. Also, as a male, due to much higher levels of testosterone and lower amounts of body fat, the visible results of exercising occur more quickly than they do for females, which can definitely make exercise seem less appealing. Still, its the only way I was able to get off methadone fairly quickly and smoothly. I think it could work for a female potentially.
How slowly? 1mg per month? 1mg every 2 weeks wasn’t working for me when I tried that.

How slowly? 1mg per month? 1mg every 2 weeks wasn’t working for me when I tried that.
Taper veryyy slow til you get 20mg approx. then it’s like real slow 2mg every 3 months til you get really low like 14mg then try to get some comfort meds, and taper very slowly 1mg every 2 months.. working for me I’m tapering RN im on 12mg was on 90mg I’m going down a 1mg every 2month

Last edited:

No, it was way faster than that, at least at first, but I was on a giant dose. If i had gone down 1mg a month at 380mg, it would have taken me 30 years to taper off 🤯

The beginning was actually pretty easy for me. But like i said my secret was exercise and I know that doesn't work for alot of people. The worst part was the very end. I quit at around 5mg (or perhaps it was 2.5mg) and I was surprised how sick I got.

But getting off opioids completely may not be for you. If you switch to suboxone you'll want to get down to 30mg-40mg at least before hand.

Gabapentin n Kratom. I was on 75mg for 4.5 years and got myself down myself. If your bottles are 100ml, you can do some volumetric math. For me it was 7.5mg/10ml. When you lower yourself down, you can store your unused dose in an extra bottle and save it for a day where you're really struggling. This also gives you more control over how quickly you go down.

Gabapentin is a god send for opioid withdrawal, as well as kratom. If you go the kratom route, I'd highly recommend a capsule machine. One can be bought off amazon*. As for the gabapentin, you might be able to get a script from your metha doc, if not and you're friendly with your fellow metha heads I can guarantee someone has some. Whether it's scripted or not, the more the better.

As for dosage of both, I was taking up to 5g's of kratom a day, and 400mg x3 a day of Gabapentin. When it comes to the kratom if you can do a "Toss n Wash" that is much more affective than capsules. Toss n Washing is when you get a glass of orange juice or something and you either fully hydrate your kratom in the liquid, or you 'Toss' the powder back and and 'Wash' it down with a liquid.

This is how I got down off of 75mg in like 4 months.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I'll try to answer them the best I can.

After I got off of methadone, I ended up on subloclade which is an intramuscular subutex. I only had to go in once a month for my shot and that was that. Eventually I just didn't want to be on an opioid maintenance therapy so I kicked it all together, but you may find if suboxone or subutex doesn't work for you, subloclade may.

Wish you the best

Last edited: