• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone, diazepam

jayjaysleepyhead

Bluelighter
Hi guys im jay from uk back on here again. I need support u see i been on 40 mls liquid methadone for nearly 4 years now and i been on and off diazepam too. Im down to 14mg from 20 again 2nd dettox in 3 years , i find it a very lonely life this medication maintenance as im at an age now where ive döne it all . So ok im bored, no energy dont like na or groups or even going out anymore its the way i do it. Luckily i got my dad constantly on my case to get clean but he doesnt know how hard it is, i promised al be clean by march and in order to do that i gotta stop buying benzos and opiods tablets and the odd smoke of crack on paydays as it takes me 2 steps back as i find this dettoxing so boring. So any ideas or words of advice would help

Hi Jayjay, it's not unusual to feel this way when you're trying to detox. Coming off methadone completely would be hard enough but also diazepam at the same time I imagine will be tricky. Have you checked into the Ashton method (for benzodiazepines taper) Do you see a caseworker for methadone and what do they think about you being off by March? Perhaps you can talk to your dad about how challenging this has been for you. I'm going to go ahead to move this to Sober Living but keep us updated on your progress!

Have you ever been able to go any significant length of time only taking your medications as prescribed without any other problematic substance use?

A lot of the time it is really tough dealing with family, when they have their own particular understandings and approaches to what they think recovery is or should be. At least as often as not, the views of others about what our own sobriety should only, at best, to begin to approximate what they actually end up looking like.

On the one hand, it is necessary to find one's own path in recovery. No one can do recovery for you, and ultimately we all have to make decisions that only we as individuals are capable of making. Learning how to be more mature and skillful with making decisions is something you will have to figure out how to do for yourself.

Of course this doesn't negative the fact that, on the other hand, getting help from others is still a necessity. None of us can do this whole thing alone and we as infinitely more capable with working with wise, trusted teachers. But finding them is up to you, something only you can do!

I hope you understand that just because your father believe a certain thing about recovery or sobriety doesn't necessarily mean he is right or you need to agree with him. I'm not suggestion you duke it out with him over all this, just to remember that continuing to make progress in your own life won't always fall in line with what our family might see as "progress."

If you can get to a place where you are only taking your medications as prescribed, even tapering them (I'd start with dealing with the methadone, then the diazepam once you have taper off and gotten over the methadone withdrawal, but that is just me), that would be idea. But IMHO all you really need to do is get to a place where you aren't constantly shooting yourself in the foot.

Whether that means doing what you need to do to make your own way in life away from the family, even if for only a period of time, or finding ways to use substances in less harmful ways, relying on abstinence from the more problematic substance (say, heroin and cocaine) and harm reduction on those you find less problematic (say, cannabis and LSD), any progress is a step forwards.

There is no right or wrong way to do recovery, just as long as you meet yourself where you're at in life and find people who you feel safe with supporting and working with you to improve your health. As long as you keep trying you are not a failure, it doesn't matter how many mistakes are made along the way. The vast, vast majority of people "age out" of harmful patterns of drug use. Many stop using altogether eventually. Many others learn to use in ways that are not unhealthy. Few people are able to keep up problematic patterns of substance use indefinitely.

We learn from our mistakes. Perhaps there are ways that BL and the Recovery Forums can help you learn about yourself and what you need to move forward, setting and eventually finding success accomplishing your own goals for life and your personal recovery. After all, individuals recovering from mental illness, substance use, trauma, injury, sickness, etc, will all have a lot in common. Our paths will often lead to the same place of health and wellbeing. However, no two of our journeys will be exactly alike.

Finding one's authentic self has been my ticket to success in recovery. I am starting to see how, generally speaking, becoming authentic (rediscovering it, creating it for the first time, or becoming more so) what is at the heart of any path of recovery from this kind of shite.

How can we support you OP?

p.s. Thx T!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jayjay, it's not unusual to feel this way when you're trying to detox. Coming off methadone completely would be hard enough but also diazepam at the same time I imagine will be tricky. Have you checked into the Ashton method (for benzodiazepines taper) Do you see a caseworker for methadone and what do they think about you being off by March? Perhaps you can talk to your dad about how challenging this has been for you. I'm going to go ahead to move this to Sober Living but keep us updated on your progress!

Coming off Methadone is one of the most difficult challenges IMO/E. I would not recommend getting off diazepam during the same period. You'll need a bit of benzos to cope with methadone withdrawal which can take up to four weeks, at least!

One day at the time!
Take care!

Thanks guys and yes sober living is a good forum for me as thats where im trying to get to. Good advice and once i get rid of the devil tapping my shoulder i hope i can do this i will cont on sober living unless i relapse badly

Meth&benzo

Hi guys my original message is on (bdd). The moderator moved it to here as im trying to kick my meds and my once a fortnight day of using . Its so stupid this using thing obviously as an addict im blaming the guy who phones me with all these tablets i just feel obliged to buy some , i wont name them but they are benzos, opiods and mental health tabs and capsules no internet needed ,i just get so bored with my 40 ml of methadone and this 5th diazepam dettox sorry im being sarcastic its my 2nd dettox. Anyway im definetely holding on to something ive moved to a difèrent part of löndön ive kicked heroin i still smoke rock once in a blue møon not this year, i want to get clean i remember i dropped from 40ml to 20ml of meth in 2 weeks and i felt so depressed and lifeless i went back to 40 . Im a coward after that experience and have stayed in a comfort zone for a while now so i need advice and ideas from u guys as i cant do it alone

Thanks guys and yes sober living is a good forum for me as thats where im trying to get to. Good advice and once i get rid of the devil tapping my shoulder i hope i can do this i will cont on sober living unless i relapse badly

If you relapse, that is absolutely no reason to stay away from SL. Relapsing is most often a part of recovery. Do not believe the horror stories you hear. If you are diligent in working on improve the overall quality of your life and improving your health, over time lapses and relapses tends happen with less and less frequencies AND less and less severity. If you're not working on improve yourself on qualitative terms, who knows what will happen.

If you just keep trying you'll be pleasantly surprised. Hence why I want to emphasize that, no matter what life throws at you or what imperfect choices you might make along the way, we are always happy to support you regardless of where you find yourself. Relapse is neither inevitable nor required in recovery, but that doesn't mean it is a normal, natural part of the vast majority's journey in recovery.

p.s. And if you ever feel like not using SL, that is totally cool too. We like not having much in the way of requirements around here. We're more interested in wherever you are at, highlighting the related opportunities attached to wherever you're at (they're always there, sometime just less obvious considering the stigma, shame, depression, anxiety and self-hatred we might experience) and attempting a range of skillful options when it comes to supporting you in making healthier decisions regarding your own goals for recovery. Harm reduction at it's finest I like to think of it at ;)

Hi guys my original message is on (bdd). The moderator moved it to here as im trying to kick my meds and my once a fortnight day of using . Its so stupid this using thing obviously as an addict im blaming the guy who phones me with all these tablets i just feel obliged to buy some , i wont name them but they are benzos, opiods and mental health tabs and capsules no internet needed ,i just get so bored with my 40 ml of methadone and this 5th diazepam dettox sorry im being sarcastic its my 2nd dettox. Anyway im definetely holding on to something ive moved to a difèrent part of löndön ive kicked heroin i still smoke rock once in a blue møon not this year, i want to get clean i remember i dropped from 40ml to 20ml of meth in 2 weeks and i felt so depressed and lifeless i went back to 40 . Im a coward after that experience and have stayed in a comfort zone for a while now so i need advice and ideas from u guys as i cant do it alone

First of all, you're not stupid, you just made a (shall we say) silly decision (or number of decision) that ended up leading you back to an unfortunately familiar place of dis-ease and suffering. That is only human when it comes to the challenges of life my friend. Try and be a little kinder and easier on yourself. This is nothing to beat yourself up over. Rather, it is merely something to learn from.

I am wonderful, why are you on such a low dose of methadone if you have been struggling with your ongoing substance use?

Has your continued use of heroin/cocaine/(what) other substance(s) on top of your methadone been harmful to you?

Why not go back up, if not simply to 40mL, but even higher than that until you feel your cravings have been substantially relieved. That is the whole point of being on methadone, after all. The right dose for you is the right dose for you. No one can predict exactly what you will find as your ideal amount of the medication before you find it for yourself.

When I was on methadone I started at 30mL (well, it is qualified as 30mg using a roughly diluted 10mg/mL solution in the states; it works out the same mg for mg as 30mL at 1mg/mL, which is the system in the UK). I went up to 60mL, then 80mL, then 90mL, then back down to 80mL. Stayed there for about 6-8 months, then reduce my dose by 5mg a week to 60mL. Hung out there for a while, until moving down to 40mL at the same dose reductio n rate.

Decreased it to 30mL shortly thereafter, then decided to go back up to 40mL. After hanging out there for a week or two I began tapering down by 2mL/week. At 30mL I hung out there for a while again, and when I was ready dropped my dose by 1mL/week until I was at 20mL. Hung out there for a while, then went down to 10mL at the same rate of reduction.

Jumped off around there, detoxing using codeine for three days to transition myself onto buprenorphine+diazpeam+clonidine+gabapentin which I took for a week before stopping everythign but gapabentin and trazadone. It all took almost exactly 2.5 years from start to finish, and there was more than one lapse and slip up along the way. But it all ended more successfully than I could have imagined last summer, and I'm still here, at a point where even the thought of using heroin makes me a little nauseous, sick, turned totally off.

Anyways, what I'm describing is not an uncommon way you hear about people who find success with methadone. Everyone's experience is a little different, though most people seem to find success staying on it for 2-3 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap lifestyle

Me again, hi toothpaste and thanks for some good advice. Unfortunatelyt i cant break my cycle at the mo, im stuck in a catch 22 i cant work as my flat is 800 pound a month , i dönt have a lot of möney ive lost all my mates ie. Married, normal ha ha, in scotland and basically just living their lives. My life at the mo now listen to this for a joke i get up at 4pm go to bed between 12 and 2 in the wee hours cant sleep despite my meds im too used to them now but i nod off at 9am , 10am at 4pm i go to chemist at 4.30 they supervise my diazepam but i can take my meth home but still gotta pick it up daily. I just see nothing to get up for i get 400 pound a montht benefits pays my mobile and my virgin cable , and council tax etc. Im left with half which i use for føod no bills luckily the rest is where my downfall lies and i buy benzos and opiods . I just cant motivate myself to change and its been 8 mönths since my operation i had an ulcer fixed i got open surgery pretty scary . Anyway thats my life and sorry again

There is no reason for you to be sorry my friend, you haven't wrong any of us here - this is for sure! I will try and respond further when I have a bit more time to. Try and be kind and gentle with yourself. This is life. Sometimes it can be a real bitch/cunt/prick/motherfucker/etc.

Meth,benzos

Hi again got your message toothpaste im using a very uncompatible phone as my android phone is broken. I will try stick to my original thread ok, ive written a list of things to do for tomorrow ie phone calls, cleaning, appts etc. So thats a start i suppose. As u say its me and me only that can change this im also hoping to get 1to 1 councelling or 1to1 with a shrink as i gotta talk to humans.

I'm glad you also realize that we all need help in our journeys through recovery. And also happy to see you're getting comfortable with forum etiquette :)

I think you have a great start ahead of you! Keep up the good work.

Meth,benzo dettox

Ok ,i must apoligise but my phone will not open the page that i want to continue where im at so i gotta open a new thread. Well im really struggling with my energy and sleep at the mo a couple of u know wots going on with me others dont. Its my meds i have been on 40mls of methadone daily for 3 years and im currently also tapering 2mg a month of diazepam im at 14mg now frow 20 and its took me 5 months to drop 6 mg of this poison, my motivation and energy levels are 0 out of 10 if i didnt have to go to pharmacy for my daily pick ups i wouldnt go out. Now for my crazy sleep pattern , i stay up as im not working as late as possible 2am the latest but i cant sleep and my clinic wont give me a sleeper because im on meth and diazepam they say it will return. So i nod off at 6am for a few hours then from 10am to 4pm i get little naps when i should be up but my head tells me get up for what ,again today i planned to get up but never. I need ideas, help mentally and support so please tb. If u think your input helps.

I found that it was the methadone, not so much the benzos, that killed my energy. I was taking methadone, diazepam and alprazolam for a good bit of time, and as soon as I started seriously dropping my methadone and got around 30mg did my energy really return.

I'd suggest either significantly slowing down or putting your diazepam taper on hold while you taper a bit on your methadone. Try going down to 30mg over the course of 3-5 weeks, then reassess. You energy levels will improve a bit.

Practicing healthy habits to improve sleep hygiene is also really important. See:

Tips to Improve Sleep Hygiene: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips
Sleep Hygiene wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_hygiene

Meth&diazepam

Wow do i need a new phone, thats me after 3 hours managing to reply again. So as horrible as this dettoxing and no sleep is i just got to battle on. I obviously should not expect miracles but its like when i finally get up i gotta go to chemist or i cant focus on my day thats why nothing gets done as i dont get up to 4pm . Im battling 2 strong medications and i think i underestimated the strength of methadone and diazepam combined . I plan to stop tapering my diazepam and to stay on 14mg a day and to concentrate coming down off the 40 ml of meth , but i really need to exercise and get up at a decent time as not sleeping is hell but it wönt kill me. Ok thanks for the support any more input from u guys is valuable to me , especially if u have been through similar to me.

Cont? Meth&valium

Hi to a couple of lighters u know who u are. Ive been trying to use same thread but its not posting due to my 2nd phone which is crap internet. Ok thanks to 10 yrs and TD for ur support , so how are u 10 yrs thats a weird username ten yrs clean or using nöne of my buisness. Ok 10th day indoors still not sleeping too and yes i still got that guys number even though i dont use class a,s anymore i cant seem to stop benzo or opiods in tab or cap form i mean they have oxycodone lyrica tramadol klonopin valium and serequel all dr scripts him and his bro are scammers and its hard to believe as most of the tabs are like strong mgs if u get my drift its once a fortnight i go and buy i hate it as i then go 11 days clean 3 days high on pills. How do i get my mind to stop doing this any ideas or therapies i can use guys? Im drifting away from my thread again as im so obsessed . Yes 10 yrs its hard to erase that number its like a crutch man. Hope u keep clean man stay away from the dreaded pin it is the most dangerous.

^[mention]10YearsGone[/mention]

No worries, I understand. Until you figure out the technical difficulties I'll keep moving threads you create on this topic here. Still, there is no reason your phone won't allow you to hit the respond button to post in your original thread here. But in any case, no worries.

I'll reply to your post sometime later today my friend.

I'm on 32mg suboxone and 20mg diazepam down from close to half a gram a day. Been stuck on 20 for a long time and don't see it moving for a long long Time, subs yes, benzos no. I've done a 14 day inpatient detox from oxy and Xanax (as well as a stack of other stuff) before and honestly I didn't even feel the opiate withdrawal for the benzos, omg, after the 2 weeks was when the hell started, I was bedridden for weeks. I had to reinstate and here I am, back on both. Go SLOW on the benzos. Follow something similar to he Ashton manual and listen to your body. It's super super slow but ime the only way to go. But as I said I can't drop anymore for awhile I don't feel. My tolerance is wrecked , don't think benzos will ever be effective for me again, they only stop me getting sick now. Benzos are the devil and the combo or benzo and opiates are hard going but you can do It, we all can. Good luck.

I'm a bit scattered after being without my subs for a few days so don't know if this makes sense in context of all the other posts but best wishes

I'm finding after 4 or so years on this stuff plus using before that its just sapping all my energy and motivation and I hate that. I was a personal trainer , ran a swim school and pool, have 5 high achieving kids and used to be so into life (while struggling at the same time with every aspect if that even makes sense) but I really feel the big dose of subs (I know you're talking methadone ) is really stealing my soul and I want it gone, much more willing to get rid of that or at least go way lower than I am the benzos, that detox scares me more than anything. Definitely do a proper taper program. Not one an inpatient hospital would suggest as short as a few weeks, it's just not long enough to get through it for most people, hopefully you come through it better than I did , cheering for you

hi guys, good to meet u yes its bloody hard alright, I have barely left the house this year im down to 20 of meth and just 1 blue vallium per day but ive lost all my good mates, a few women too,im totally isolated in a little studio flat in london, I swear the lonliness is worse than the dettox, so far the meth is the easier of the 2 the benzo u gotta go slower tapering,off it , we all in same boat im getting there I hope I do also get suicidal at times as ive also thrown so much away,one love jay jay stay in touch people if I can help u I will