• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone and loperamide for withdrawals

bunny22

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

I have some.methadone pills and am addicted to smoking heroin.

How should I take the pills? I heard if dosed right I should take 1 every 24hr. Is that right?

I was thinking of taking 5mg jn the morning and 5mg around 2pm. I am saying 2pm because I tried taking 5mg in the morning but around lunch I was starting getting withdrawals but I smoked heroin then so I don't know if another 5mg would have eliminated the withdrawals.

But if I take 5mg at 2pm and it stops he withdrawals then I should take another 5pm at night to be able to sleep. So basically that would mean I would have to dose 3 times daily methadone as opposed to what I heard it supposed to work(1 dose every 24hr).

I also know loperamide is an opiod so would that help with withdrawals beside the stomach issues?(I need help with the pain) if so, how should I dose it?

Any help guys?

Also what else would you think would help with withdrawals? I tried kratom but didn't help. Maybe you can recommend a dosage?

I've never heard of loperamide working for pain.
When I was on methadone I had to take it twice a day.
I would try taking it 3 times if that works for you

Clonidine and benzos work well but only use benzos for a few days.
Lyrica works for people as well

I've never heard of loperamide working for pain.
When I was on methadone I had to take it twice a day.
I would try taking it 3 times if that works for you

Clonidine and benzos work well but only use benzos for a few days.
Lyrica works for people as well
Great advice, but if no is Lyrica is available, try gabapentin, it is like Lyrica's little brother. The methadone should help with the pain but be careful methadone can be easily addictive and withdrawals last longer than heroin. Heroin like a week to 10 days, that is what I read. And long term methadone use withdrawals a month or so.
My father(RIP) was a Thoracic( heart and chest) and vascular surgeon( he preferred vascular surgery) anyways, he told me about methadone.
He said it is a great and powerful painkiller that will not get you high, but it is very addictive and should only be used for a short period of time.
People on here constantly post that getting off methadone is harder than heroin. So only use methadone a short period of time or you will have an addiction with much longer withdrawals

Last edited:
Take dose od methadone which would stop sweats, nausea, hot/cold, restlessness...than take 25%lower methadone untill u run out, than u need clonidine/tizanidine, possibly some benzos and tramadol (IR liquid hits hard but last 6 hours/ER pills are too soft but function for 12-24 hours. Tram use only for further tapering and to boost your monoaminergic system. Advice levetiracetam - stop tramadol seizures...

It depends on what you can get your hands on. Loperamide used to be supplied in 1000 x bottles.
Further to that you have the option of taking Ibogaine, Kratom or Tianeptine.

Used methadone for pain from doc since 2006
60mg to 40mg to now 15 mg
I take it three times a day. Offered to me in a lower cost option , $5month to the oxycontin or fentynal patch which would be 1000/month
taking it as prescribed and only recently have started to taper down to 15mg/day with no other opiates

Just enjoy the methadone then if it is a low cost option. You need to take 80mg per day though.

Why so much? Im managing OK on 15mg
I might feel better on a higher dose but
have to go to a clinic as an addiction treatment to get dose that high
and the clinics don't allow benzodiazepines concurrent with methadone
And I like my clonazepam

Don't know if you're still struggling with this but get on Amazon and order yourself a bottle of D-phenylalanine it has to be the straight D-phenylalanine not DL-PHENYLALANINE or L-Phenylalanine. Big difference. DL-Phenylalanine acts like an MAOI in the brain except that it targets endorphins and enkaphlins meaning it stops their breakdown in the brain so they stick around longer rise to higher levels and are more effective.

When I've had to cut back my methadone dosage by 10mg for a few days or cut back methadone and also cut out the oxycodone on top of it to make it through the last few days of the month I start taking D-phenylalanine immediately. The withdrawals are so much less dramatic, the methadone I do still take lasts a lot longer and provides better pain relief.

It's a very little known and very underutilized tool for withdrawals of all kinds when endorphins are involved. If you smoke the H for pain or any kind you'll also find the D-phenylalanine really helps with pain in general. Some equate it to taking a 5mg Vicodin when taken on its own.

The one thing to be aware of is if you have existing high blood pressure dose very minimally ie one capsule maximum a day and monitor your BP if no real increase you can jump to two capsules a day. I wouldn't go above 3 capsules a day in general.

Hope you'll be able to get over the hump. Also the D-phenylalanine is about $10-$12 dollars so very affordable.

I would skip the loperimide in general except in very very low doses ie the same amount recommended for diarrhea. It's a super toxic drug especially for the brain absolutely not worth any reduction in withdrawals I might even provide.

Don't know if you're still struggling with this but get on Amazon and order yourself a bottle of D-phenylalanine it has to be the straight D-phenylalanine not DL-PHENYLALANINE or L-Phenylalanine. Big difference. DL-Phenylalanine acts like an MAOI in the brain except that it targets endorphins and enkaphlins meaning it stops their breakdown in the brain so they stick around longer rise to higher levels and are more effective.

When I've had to cut back my methadone dosage by 10mg for a few days or cut back methadone and also cut out the oxycodone on top of it to make it through the last few days of the month I start taking D-phenylalanine immediately. The withdrawals are so much less dramatic, the methadone I do still take lasts a lot longer and provides better pain relief.

It's a very little known and very underutilized tool for withdrawals of all kinds when endorphins are involved. If you smoke the H for pain or any kind you'll also find the D-phenylalanine really helps with pain in general. Some equate it to taking a 5mg Vicodin when taken on its own.

The one thing to be aware of is if you have existing high blood pressure dose very minimally ie one capsule maximum a day and monitor your BP if no real increase you can jump to two capsules a day. I wouldn't go above 3 capsules a day in general.

Hope you'll be able to get over the hump. Also the D-phenylalanine is about $10-$12 dollars so very affordable.

I would skip the loperimide in general except in very very low doses ie the same amount recommended for diarrhea. It's a super toxic drug especially for the brain absolutely not worth any reduction in withdrawals I might even provide.
What is D-phenylalanine

Loperamide does work at alleviating withdrawal symptoms. I was taking Dilaudid pills after major surgery and was abruptly shut off by a Dr. I read about taking Loperamide so I went and got some at a local pharmacy, I totally forget how much, probably 2 x 24 tab boxes so 48 tabs/96mg. Maybe less. Anyways, after 2-3 hours of taking it I felt ok/good. But that turned into an addiction in itself, 10+ years of taking it.

I recently finally stopped taking loperamide, was taking at least 70 tabs/140mg daily. Went CT and took Clonidine but I gave in on day 5 the withdrawals sucked, started loperamide again but was comfortable only taking 35 tabs/70mg. I got a script for Gabapentin and started taking Kratom and was able to rapidly taper off in like 10 days, hardly any symptoms except insomnia.

So now I probably have to deal with tapering the Kratom down. I also take Wellbutrin 150mg XL for sadness/depression that crept in.