• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Meth withdrawal has me exhausted

MiamiMami

Bluelighter
Little background: I’ve been doing meth daily for MONTHS. I guess you could call it microdosing, as I’m still able to go to sleep, eat, take care of myself, etc. Every now and then I’d have my 2 or 3 days binges. But once the paranoia and hallucinations hit, I’d grab my Xanax or Seroquel and knock myself out. I was super productive, able to go out and handle business, and just in a pretty good mood overall.

Then my bf found my stash and shit went to hell. I was hiding my habit so well that even he was like WTF. And of course meth has such a horrible, icky reputation…he was repulsed that *I* could be doing such a thing. Ok, so I stopped buying the shit. That wasn’t a problem. I’ve had to suddenly stop before (did 2 weeks in jail, plug out of town, etc) .. but every time I’d stop I’d be EXHAUSTED and sleeping all day. Same thing is happening now.

I know there isn’t much I can do about it but ride it out, but it’s just so frustrating! When I was getting high, I was taking care of everything I needed to do and always in a good mood. But now I’m just a sleepy, moody lump. And of course my bf doesn’t get it at all. He keeps asking me am I okay because he’s never seen me sleep so much…bless his heart. Ummm duhhh because I’ve been HIGH!

Its just funny how that kind of stuff works out. I’m drinking a Red Bull as I type this but I know it won’t offer much (if any) help. If there’s anything that can help get me through this, please let me know. At this point I’m thinking of finding someone with some coke or adderall or something.

If you use caffeine go with a no sugar high fat choice, I like light roast, white bean or robusta coffee beans brewed then add some coconut or heavy cream. Red Bull does nothing for me with all that sugar.

If you gotta get something get Adderall not blow, much better choice in this situation. Then taper off.

-GC

Might consider getting some bronkaid. Available in most states. You have to ask the pharmacist for it and show ID. Should help with the lethargy (structurally it is very close to methamphetamine). Make sure to drink plenty of water while taking it.

Little background: I’ve been doing meth daily for MONTHS. I guess you could call it microdosing, as I’m still able to go to sleep, eat, take care of myself, etc. Every now and then I’d have my 2 or 3 days binges. But once the paranoia and hallucinations hit, I’d grab my Xanax or Seroquel and knock myself out. I was super productive, able to go out and handle business, and just in a pretty good mood overall.

Then my bf found my stash and shit went to hell. I was hiding my habit so well that even he was like WTF. And of course meth has such a horrible, icky reputation…he was repulsed that *I* could be doing such a thing. Ok, so I stopped buying the shit. That wasn’t a problem. I’ve had to suddenly stop before (did 2 weeks in jail, plug out of town, etc) .. but every time I’d stop I’d be EXHAUSTED and sleeping all day. Same thing is happening now.

I know there isn’t much I can do about it but ride it out, but it’s just so frustrating! When I was getting high, I was taking care of everything I needed to do and always in a good mood. But now I’m just a sleepy, moody lump. And of course my bf doesn’t get it at all. He keeps asking me am I okay because he’s never seen me sleep so much…bless his heart. Ummm duhhh because I’ve been HIGH!

Its just funny how that kind of stuff works out. I’m drinking a Red Bull as I type this but I know it won’t offer much (if any) help. If there’s anything that can help get me through this, please let me know. At this point I’m thinking of finding someone with some coke or adderall or something.
Yea a red bull while you been used to meth is like pissing in the ocean wont do nothing really what might help is exercise sounds weird but forcing yourself helps me with the lethargy during heroin wd after the worse of detox has calmed down

Might consider getting some bronkaid. Available in most states. You have to ask the pharmacist for it and show ID. Should help with the lethargy (structurally it is very close to methamphetamine). Make sure to drink plenty of water while taking it.
Thank you. I see that it contains ephedrine. I’ll go to the pharmacy tomorrow and hopefully they won’t give me too much of a hassle.

Yea a red bull while you been used to meth is like pissing in the ocean wont do nothing really what might help is exercise sounds weird but forcing yourself helps me with the lethargy during heroin wd after the worse of detox has calmed down
I’ll try! Problem is, it’s been soooo cold and rainy and gloomy here. That’s part of the reason I’ve been so sleepy. I’ve barely been able to leave the house. But I definitely can try to find some workouts on YouTube that I can do in the house.

“Like pissing in an ocean”
the-office-kevin-malone.gif

I really tried guys, but I just ended up buying more meth. I know he’ll be pissed if he finds out but I’ll deal with that when the time comes. I just have so much going on right now…I can’t deal with being asleep all day. I literally can’t afford it. Last night I went to bed at 2AM (early af for me) and still slept til like 6PM.

I know it all sounds like excuses and cop outs but yeah, it is what it is. It’s the first of the month and I need to be getting money not sleeping. Cause otherwise we’re both gonna be looking stupid.

Meth is nasty about exhaustion. I am somebody who tends not to get too bad hangovers from stimulants but meth caught me in a truly depressive manner after just a few days. The pharmacological explanation probably would be either adrenergic or dopaminergic fatigue, probably combined. There's (at least) a med which helps with, memantine but it's Rx only in most places.

Meth is nasty about exhaustion. I am somebody who tends not to get too bad hangovers from stimulants but meth caught me in a truly depressive manner after just a few days. The pharmacological explanation probably would be either adrenergic or dopaminergic fatigue, probably combined. There's (at least) a med which helps with, memantine but it's Rx only in most places.

This shit is the worst. It’s an awful cycle to be stuck in. Can’t be awake without it, can’t go to sleep on it. Gotta use benzos/antipsychotics to sleep, gotta use more stims to wake up. It’s the same with my friend/dealer. If she isn’t using, she’ll sleep all day. So when I call and she’s knocked out, I know she’s all out lol.

Like I said, I had to do 2 weeks in jail not too long ago. The constant sleep is actually what got me through the whole ordeal. I would’ve been miserable had I been on a normal sleep schedule. Hint: don’t go to jail during COVID. All the new inmates had to quarantine for 14 days. 23 hours a day in a cell by yourself — may as well be in solitary confinement. Withdrawing and sleeping all day was the only thing that made it bearable.

We don’t judge here it happens. To be honest it sounds like your guy has very little understanding of how this all goes either and is likely causing unnecessary stress. Is he like a church going straight edge or what? Does he have any experience using any drugs?

With my wife, when we were first getting together there was this unsaid expectation that I’d eventually get off suboxone/opiates completely, not just from her but me too. It caused a lot damage as I struggled and things only got better when we accepted I’ll do my best and not to feel crushed every time I slipped up. Well after that things did get better and I’ve made major progress in tapering off going from 6mg a day to .875mg now.

I know my situation is likely very different and every person is different, but the message is there needs to be some understanding and compromise as you get this under control. Otherwise guilt and shame are great motivators to keep using.

-GC

We don’t judge here it happens. To be honest it sounds like your guy has very little understanding of how this all goes either and is likely causing unnecessary stress. Is he like a church going straight edge or what? Does he have any experience using any drugs?

With my wife, when we were first getting together there was this unsaid expectation that I’d eventually get off suboxone/opiates completely, not just from her but me too. It caused a lot damage as I struggled and things only got better when we accepted I’ll do my best and not to feel crushed every time I slipped up. Well after that things did get better and I’ve made major progress in tapering off going from 6mg a day to .875mg now.

I know my situation is likely very different and every person is different, but the message is there needs to be some understanding and compromise as you get this under control. Otherwise guilt and shame are great motivators to keep using.

-GC
And that’s why I really love this forum. I’m able to be honest and seek help without judgement. You guys are truly amazing.

He’s definitely not a church boy lol. But he’s one of those people that think certain drugs are acceptable and others aren’t. I can tell him, “Hey babe, I popped a Xanax to get some sleep.” And he’ll be totally fine. I’ve also told him about taking adderalls every now and then. But the meth…nah. I guess I understand…who’d want to date a “tweaker”? But like I said, he had NO IDEA what I was doing until he found it. He claims that he suspected I was using drugs, which he may have. But hindsight is 20/20.

Once he found it, I explained to him that my ex was a drug dealer and he was super jealous and controlling, and he got me hooked on the stuff as a means of keeping me around. My boyfriend acted like he understood, but I guess he didn’t realize how much the stuff had an effect on me. That’s how “normal” me being high was. He thought I was just naturally super perky and full of energy and always ready for whatever (sex included). And I’m neither of those things…at least not sober, and ESPECIALLY not going through withdrawals.

Once I started using regularly, I knew I’d have to do a lot to keep myself together — showering multiple times a day, keeping my breath fresh and teeth clean, eating right, getting an adequate amount of sleep, etc. But while withdrawing? Idgaf about any of that. I just wanna sleep. My place was becoming a mess. I was becoming a mess. Nothing mattered. I just didn’t have the energy to care.

Thank you. I see that it contains ephedrine. I’ll go to the pharmacy tomorrow and hopefully they won’t give me too much of a hassle.

I’ll try! Problem is, it’s been soooo cold and rainy and gloomy here. That’s part of the reason I’ve been so sleepy. I’ve barely been able to leave the house. But I definitely can try to find some workouts on YouTube that I can do in the house.
You just have to force yourself to sweat it out how you feeling over last few days

Damn, this is crazy similar to my current situation. My now ExGF didnt know i used until last week. We dated for a little over a year and she had no idea. She only found out because i told her ive been a daily user the entire time we were together. She caught me cheating on her and i figured itd be best to just come clean about everything. Bad idea lol she has never used recreational drugs except the one time she got drunk and is super anti drugs in a way that would start a big fight every time id mention anything about drugs. She was gone as fast as i expected her to be and thats why i never told her. Just sucks ass and i wish i could quit. I was never the kind of person to cheat or even consider it before meth. but god damn does this shit make you horny than a mfer. Feeling super guilty and only made it a few days before relapsing. My apartment was in shambles as well and i literally could not stay awake while working from home. straight up went to the restroom at 9am and didnt wake up until 1pm and immediatley fell asleep until 430pm. My boss was pissed lol if i fuck up one more time im a goner for sure, idk how im gonna manage to escape this monster on my back without losing everything.

Little background: I’ve been doing meth daily for MONTHS. I guess you could call it microdosing,

Nope. I’d call taking 5 mg once in the morning after breakfast ‘microdosing’. But given we are talking about meth, that’s a fantasy.

All I have to offer is saying that getting clean of meth is definitely possible but it requires learning ALL the triggers in your life (people, places, things, feelings, memories - there’s all kinds of triggers) and getting them out of your life/head one by one while filling your life up gradually with stuff that makes you feel happy and fulfilled.

Relapse is a natural part of recovery and with meth it’s not uncommon to relapse 20-30 times over a few months while you sort yourself out.

Whatever you do don’t count days sober and think of it like a score. Counting days like they do in NA just does one thing: it makes you think about meth every single day!

If you notice you went a day, be proud of yourself. If you notice next time you went a week, be proud of yourself. Eventually you just won’t remember or think about how long it had been.

Personally, my first useful step to quitting was to focus on differentiating recreational use from “fuck up my job” and “destroy my family” use. So I’d still maybe be smoking everyday but not, for example, in the car outside my kids school while I was waiting to pick her up. And not in the toilets on campus half an hour before a meeting with the dean.

In the end what really helped me though was finding different drugs that were not as addictive and uncontrollably moreish and I’d take them whenever cravings got too much.

Personally, my first useful step to quitting was to focus on differentiating recreational use from “fuck up my job” and “destroy my family” use. So I’d still maybe be smoking everyday but not, for example, in the car outside my kids school while I was waiting to pick her up. And not in the toilets on campus half an hour before a meeting with the dean.

Really needed to hear this part. I know that wasn't in response to me but thank you all the same.

I really tried guys, but I just ended up buying more meth. I know he’ll be pissed if he finds out but I’ll deal with that when the time comes. I just have so much going on right now…I can’t deal with being asleep all day. I literally can’t afford it. Last night I went to bed at 2AM (early af for me) and still slept til like 6PM.

I know it all sounds like excuses and cop outs but yeah, it is what it is. It’s the first of the month and I need to be getting money not sleeping. Cause otherwise we’re both gonna be looking stupid.
Yeah trust me many have been where you are.
Be very careful here, this is how the addiction starts to really kick in. You need to be careful of the, "I'll just use to finish this amount of work then I'll rest and quit".

I've experienced and seen this happen, if you're not careful the use can cause more "things" to arise that you have to deal with that will add to the pile. And it's not uncommon to see that the two weeks of doing what you can and recovering, is actually a shorter period than the spiral that can occur if that makes sense. In two months time directly because using your life can be just as stressful if not more so, like you've made no progress, and your addiction will be deeper.

I'd say take at least a 5 day break regardless. It will clear your mind

Just be careful, if this is your first time "relapsing" you've entered a new period in your use characterized by a need to quit but a need to use. That dynamic can lead to shit turning south, the stress of it can make your highs and thus productivity shitty.

Nope. I’d call taking 5 mg once in the morning after breakfast ‘microdosing’. But given we are talking about meth, that’s a fantasy.

All I have to offer is saying that getting clean of meth is definitely possible but it requires learning ALL the triggers in your life (people, places, things, feelings, memories - there’s all kinds of triggers) and getting them out of your life/head one by one while filling your life up gradually with stuff that makes you feel happy and fulfilled.

Relapse is a natural part of recovery and with meth it’s not uncommon to relapse 20-30 times over a few months while you sort yourself out.

Whatever you do don’t count days sober and think of it like a score. Counting days like they do in NA just does one thing: it makes you think about meth every single day!

If you notice you went a day, be proud of yourself. If you notice next time you went a week, be proud of yourself. Eventually you just won’t remember or think about how long it had been.

In the end what really helped me though was finding different drugs that were not as addictive and uncontrollably moreish and I’d take them whenever cravings got too much.
I totally get what you mean by the differentiating use but interestingly it actually harmed me.

I swear looking back on it, I seriously think I subconsciously was prolonging my work in many ways so that I'd keep using because I "had" too. It's hard to explain but I get some weird small dopamine hit when I think back to a time where I was literally drowning in responsibilities and stressed and overwhelmed. I hated it at the time but I was using...just made me think..

Just me though, not saying you're advice isn't valid

I think it really sucks that people shame others for drug use and other personal choices. What do they think it will accomplish? If you are taking care of your shit and it’s not causing major problems in your life then you will be offended by what should be none of their business. If your usage is spiraling out of control into abuse and it’s pulling your life down with it then you already feel shame and getting more from people you trusted is definitely not going to help anyone, except maybe the narcisict that has to moralize about your life choices to make themselves feel better about their shit lives. But maybe I’m way off base here. I’m sorry you have that done to you. It shows a lack of understanding and immaturity on the part of your BF. Why would you want to have to hide anything from a partner? If you feel you need to then that’s a big red flag to me. I would consider not being with anyone until you feel that you don’t have to hide parts of yourself. No one needs anyone else. Take time to be with yourself and learn who that is and then you will learn that you don’t need someone to fulfill anything you perceive is lacking.

It real is sad the way drug use is demonized and made out to be a huge moral failure. That attitude is responsible to a huge portion of the perceived “problem” with drug usage (the drug war taking up the other larger part). Since users (even those that are not abusing them) are made out to be bad, immoral, weak, dangerous to society it stacks the deck against anyone that actually does have a problem and might otherwise seek help, but is afríad of the stigma that would come with “outling” theselves. If there wasn’t this made up stigma, one thats based in moralism and religion and not based on any logical or scientific data, then users of any substance wouild be encoraged to seek help from widely available (and free, paid by our taxes instrewad of it going to the military industrial complete for another $80B this year) support facilites like counseling and rehab. They wouldn’t have to hide their drug usage (abusibve or not) from the people that should be there to support them no matter what, and more people wolld get help before it was too late.

Just be honest with yourself and I hope everything works out.

Modafinil (very clean and productive stimulant) probably combined with a low dose of vortioxetine (cognitive enhancing SSRi) can help u a lot. Maybe try bupropion but it takes some time to work unlike modafinil which works instantly.

Modafinil (very clean and productive stimulant) probably combined with a low dose of vortioxetine (cognitive enhancing SSRi) can help u a lot. Maybe try bupropion but it takes some time to work unlike modafinil which works instantly.
I currently take bupropion for depression, plus escitalopram :| That’s probably the only reason I haven’t spiraled out of control. My antidepressants + seroquel balance me out. But I’m definitely gonna ask my doc about some other medications. She doesn’t know I’m a drug user though soooo.. idk.