• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth progression

Beesknees10

Greenlighter
Hey I'm struggling with meth... I've been smoking everyday for about three months and people at work are starting to notice I have scabs all over my face and I'm just curious how the progression of addiction went for everyone else. I'm scared and Wana stop.

I am moving this to other drugs. If the OD mods think this is more suited for the dark side they can move it there.

Meth is apparently a difficult drug to stop using, and stay sober and away from. I know people who were addicted to it who did this but they said they wanted to do this and dumped all of their sources for it, tweaker 'friends', moved to a completely new area in a different region and state where they knew nobody, and some went to NA or a detox/rehab facility far away from where they lived to get sober and help learn tools or coping mechanisms to stay sober from meth and all drugs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd suggest removing yourself from the environment in which crystal is prevalent, this means distancing yourself from people, places, and things that are associated with tweaking.

Well, for me it started with my dad as fucked up as that sounds. He has made meth for years and is now in prison for it..

Long story short, he would give it to me when I was 15-16 (along with beer, weed, pills) and by the time I was addicted I had found other sources. This lasted about 4 years, using all day every day. Never got scabs or bad teeth or anything but got down to 95lbs and at 5'5" that is definitely unhealthy. I've been known to pluck my eyebrows to death when spun, lol. They grew back..

Now, I still use it sometimes but I'm on the fence between just liking it and craving it.

All your blood rushes in the opposite direction to your dick and balls but the really demeaning part is spending the next 12 hours trying to force the blood back there. Meth.

Why does meth make swims dick and balls shrink a lot

Vasoconstriction. Makes your blood flow like shit, that's why if your really tweaked ur arms and knees can turn a little blue.

To the OP, at least you are aware and know you gotta stop. It's a drug that completely changes you and if you don't stop now, stopping a year down the line will be 10x harder.

Your dopamine pathways will be fried and and you will be depressed for months or years after stopping long term meth abuse.

I wish you the best.

I've known a fair number of people who have gotten to the "smoking constantly and picking holes in their face" stage and come back from it. It's totally possible. If you've managed to keep your job this far, congratulations! You're doing better than many people at this stage.

You already know that it's time to cut down or quit before things happen like you losing your job, or your friends and family getting really worried. Only you know whether you can do that yourself, or whether you need professional help.

There's a lot of peer support for this stuff available on this site - check out The Dark Side and Sober Living forums. People there might have some more concrete suggestions for you.

Good luck!

Some people manage to maintain on it (somewhat) well. My connection around here is a functional meth user with a legitimate job, and you wouldn't know that he tweaked based on his physical appearance (although if you talk to him regularly enough you definitely can tell that there's something "off" about him often). I've known other people who can dabble in it successfully, mostly older users, people in their 30's and 40's. It's difficult though, over a long enough timeline. And I've known a number of former addicts who kicked the habit and are completely functional normal folks today...

The progression of the drug is probably different in different areas. For example, at least one Australian user on this site has told me that meth doesn't have the extremely negative stigma it has in the USA, and is seen more like a "party drug" (which it definitely isn't in the USA; here it's seen as one of the most evil drugs out there besides heroin, a reputation it only partially deserves IMO). So I imagine that it probably goes from a weekend thing to a whole week thing sometimes. In the rural USA where meth made probably its biggest mark as far as it's reputation is concerned, the grinding poverty of the poor rural USA probably contributed a lot to its spread. Most people around here dive right into it, it seems like...as soon as they start doing it, that's what they're doing. It's pretty much a problematic habit from day one.

I'm able to still stay somewhat functional on it, as I only use it 2-3 days a week (on the weekend). One thing that disturbs me a great deal about meth is that it pretty much enslaves me once I'm under its influence, though...whatever the drug compels me to do, I do. If it's around me, I'll consume it all till it's gone, no question, and usually that's all I'm doing. For someone who once took pride in an ability to sample a whole variety of addictive drugs and not get hooked to any of them, it's pretty scary. I don't sleep, I don't eat, I won't bathe, many times I won't even leave me room at all. It's completely irrational behavior and I realize that intellectually, and it's fucked up that even though I realize it, I can't change it when the drug is around me. It's probably a good indication that I shouldn't be doing the drug at all.

All your blood rushes in the opposite direction to your dick and balls but the really demeaning part is spending the next 12 hours trying to force the blood back there. Meth.

rly liked this post. it's definitely true for many on high dose chronic daily use.

Here are your options:

1. Treatment.
Let me preface by saying that I'm not so doe-eyed as to believe this the end-all-be-all solution to drug problems, like Intervention might make you believe. On the other hand, there are many treatment centers that aren't luxury vacations, yet still do a very good job at setting a person back up onto their feet. I walked into a treatment center four blocks from my house when I had finally blown through my savings on meth, knowing full well that I wasn't going to be able to pay for it down the road. However, it turned out that the hospital that ran this program had a financial aid program, which I applied to with a bank statement showing my balance to be $24.45. A month later, I got a letter from the hospital, saying they would forgive my debt of +$2,500. Don't overestimate how much of a commitment entering a treatment facility actually is.

The primary function of a three-week stay in treatment as a meth addict is simply detoxification. People who claim that the PAWS of long-term meth abuse lasts for months and months are being hyperbolic. By week two, I was functioning at about 90% of my old self after a multiple year binge. Take the 12-step education and group activities as seriously as you want to, or don't; they're less important than simply having consistent structure and medical care during that period of restoring your physical ability to function.

2. Amphetamine replacement
Methamphetamine has a direct neurotoxicity that regular amphetamines lack. Having been addicted to both, I know from experience that there's something about that methyl group that hacks into your mind at a much deeper neurological level. The poster above who described it as being in a master-slave relation hit it right on the head. Being dependent on amphetamines is no joke, but being able to retain some degree of agency is also not trivial. It's hard to describe what I mean, but my point is that harm reduction strategies like these are not an unreasonable nor unhelpful step at this moment.

Progression happens fast; act as soon as you can.

this is fuckin' funny, mate

Well I do have SOME caloric intake, but I basically force myself to eat, as the drug is a heavy-duty appetite suppressant.

Hexagon- Both Amphetamine and Methamphetamine are neurotoxic and can turn you into a shell of your former self. Only difference is Meth destroys your serotonin neurons on top of the dopamine neurons that Amphetamine destroys.

Well I do have SOME caloric intake, but I basically force myself to eat, as the drug is a heavy-duty appetite suppressant.

but the fact that you are unable to leave your room for 3 days at a time and unable to shower as you alluded to in your previous post, seems like meth puts you into an impulsive/obsessive trance where you are stuck and unable release yourself from its grip? Can other meth users relate? I'm guessing most stimulants cause this type of "trance"?

but the fact that you are unable to leave your room for 3 days at a time and unable to shower as you alluded to in your previous post, seems like meth puts you into an impulsive/obsessive trance where you are stuck and unable release yourself from its grip? Can other meth users relate? I'm guessing most stimulants cause this type of "trance"?

yeah dude it's great, you should really try it some time!

I wouldn't call it a "trance" necessarily, but it definitely does put you in an altered state of consciousness LOL Especially when it's the only thing keeping you awake after 72 hours of no sleep

Totally. It's expensive as FK where I live so naturally/luckily I don't have the sorta access a LOT of people have to it. Have been using it 'regularly' (weekly) for about 6 years - and despite holding on to my sanity/job/all of the above it still finds a way to fuck anything extra-curricular to it's self...meth.

I've been in Countries where it IS that affordable and gettable. So I get where you're comin' from - it's a different world man. Either live in it and deal with the mental and physical and many quirks like a winner until you eventually run out of money or die or get yourself away from having such direct access.

I know it's a hard line, but, we have to be honest here; we've all got some self-discipline, meth just fucks it.

and it sucks when it does it's signature 3+ day number on ya and you start recycling those same excuses/responses at work/whatever. Or something like in my case, my left god damn eye gets way over-strained and slowly gets red as fuck from the outside in towards the pupil. It's like my 'oopsy blazey' gauge, I guess.