• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines [Mescaline Subthread] Storage & Stability

no, it certainly didn't lose any potency :D

how long will it keep in the fridge? I'm thinking about straining the remaining tea and boiling it down farther...

what about actual san pedro cactus cuttings? how long can i keep cuttings before they go bad?

Not as long as extracted mescaline. The cactus will start to rot at some point. If you have to hang onto a cutting for a later extraction, put it in the freezer.

Freezing a Brew of Dried Peruvian Torch Chips. Is it ok?

HI!

I got some Peruvian Torch chips, thinking that I was going to be using them in about 12 hours. I mashed up the chips and put them in water, so as to use as tea. But something came up and I won't be able to use the brew for a week. So then I was like, what do I do with this product? I though I'd freeze the entire mixture and hold it for a week. Anyone know if this is ok or not? Thanks.

freezing should actually help. dunno if it needs to be done for a week, but it certainly shouldn't hurt. Freezing should cause the water that has been reabsorbed into the cells to crystallize & break the cell walls, making alkaloids easier to extract

freezing should actually help. dunno if it needs to be done for a week, but it certainly shouldn't hurt. Freezing should cause the water that has been reabsorbed into the cells to crystallize & break the cell walls, making alkaloids easier to extract

Just to make sure, are you sure that is true with dried cactus as well? I made this thread because I have read of other people who are freezing the live cactus, but never heard of anyone freezing the re-hydrated dried chips. So, you still think that's ok? Thanks.

I figured if I don't freeze it, the cactus material will just rot after a week. And people thought regular cactus tastes bad. I figured it would potentially be a horrendous severely nauseating experience and with no high. So better freeze it. I hope it works. It's my first time too.

well freezing, if anything, would help preserve the mescaline in the cactus material. Though even if it were at room temp, mescaline is extremely stable, and would likely not degrade... week old cactus & water however, sounds pretty fucking gross. There have been samples of peyote hundreds, if not thousands of years old that still contained mescaline, so the mescaline in your cacti, if there is any (t. peruvianis is notoriously variable in alkaloidal composition), should remain intact.

^Like any major said the only real reason to put it in the freezer is so it won't taste even more disgusting then it already does. When my friend once made the mistake of mixing cactus powder with water we kept it in the fridge for a month and it was fine(as fine as something horribly disgusting can be!).

I think for a week it should stay good whether youd freeze it or not. But yes freezing could help burst open the cells so that the alkaloids get absorbed more easily so it's probably a good idea!

Preventing bacterial or fungal action from setting in is important, definitely freeze it.

Rotting could break down the drug, reducing potency, or (depending on what was growing) potentially produce something that would make you sick.

Yeah, freeze it. It'll preserve it even more.

I'm going to merge this with our Mescaline/Cacti storage thread.

What about in a basic solution (ie halfway through an A/B extraction)?

I'm about to give my first A/B extraction a shot but i wont be able to get it all done in the one day. The current plan is to split it up into 3 days (unfortunately cant work all day, only while the house is empty, ~6/7 hours).
It'll need to be stored as a acid solution at one point and a basic solution at another, perhaps for a few days each time. I'm not too worried about the acid solution but the i've read that mescaline freebase doesnt exactly have a shelf life

Mescaline is an extremely stable molecule... dry, it should outlast all of us.

However, a tincture is by definition decidedly not dry. So I recommend storing it in a cold dark place away from air... standard procedure for storing chemicals. It's in an alcohol if it's a tincture so it won't grow any organic contaminants.

Kept in proper conditions I'm sure it would last for many years.

This is news to me. I thought it was common knowledge (according to trip reports on erowid) (and a few other sources) that heat will reduce potency.Even a little heat. I can't tell you how many people have told me not to boil. So I have been drying the piecies under a fan in my room.

I would much rather boil it as you would shroom tea. So as long as I dont scortch the san pedro tea I should be OK? Its just that I dont know why so many people say even a little heat will destroy the mescaline. I guess I have to try it myself. Thanks for the info. BTW all my cacti experiences (and Iv'e had a few with as much as 18" of SP) have been pretty mild. The last one was the best.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mescaline/mescaline_chemistry.shtml

Check out that link, has the melting points for mescaline non-salt, sulfate dihydrate, and hydrochloride. If 100 degrees Celcius is the boiling point for water, and the melting point for the non-salt form (the form I believe that's in cactus, could be wrong) is 35-36° C, it looks like boiling it WOULD destroy it. However, the hydrochloride has a melting point of 181° C, so I think it could be boiled.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mescaline/mescaline_chemistry.shtml

Check out that link, has the melting points for mescaline non-salt, sulfate dihydrate, and hydrochloride. If 100 degrees Celcius is the boiling point for water, and the melting point for the non-salt form (the form I believe that's in cactus, could be wrong) is 35-36° C, it looks like boiling it WOULD destroy it. However, the hydrochloride has a melting point of 181° C, so I think it could be boiled.

Kewl Thanks

Ok ok (opens the freezer door) sounds good I think I will try it.

Step 1] Cut your cactus up into small pieces, allowing them to dry completely. Once dry, either use a blender, mortar and pestle, or your method of choice to pulverize it into a fine powder.

Step 2] Place the cactus powder in Jar A. Slowly add the Isopropyl to the jar, doubling the volume.

Step 3] Turn the jar over gently 50 to 100 times in order to begin the extraction process (by avoiding vigorous shaking, you prevent an emulsion layer from forming). After the turning/mixing has been completed, allow the mixture to sit undisturbed until it has become greenish-black in color.

Step 4] Proceed to pour the mixture into Jar B, using coffee filters, tee-shirt, or cheese cloth to filter the liquid.

Step 5] Place the left-over solid contents (now strained of the alkaloid-containing alchohol into Jar B) back into Jar A, and repeat the initial steps, adding more Isopropyl to double the volume again. Repeat the further steps twice more, or until satisfied with the extraction. Each time, the color of the alchohol will be lighter green.

Step 6] Take the alkaloid-containing alchohol of Jar B, and slowly pour into a large glass/stainless steel pan for to allow for evaporation. This can be achieved by leaving a fan blowing over the pan, or allowing the pan to sit on a dish of boiling water. Be extremely careful, as the evaporating alchohol is extremely flamable.

Step 7] Once the alchohol has evaporated, a flaky black residue will be left over to be scraped up. You must be sure to smell the mixture, as you do not want any of the Isoprpyl to be contained in it whatsoever. It should have no alchoholic smell whatsoever. To be safe, you may wish to gently heat the mixture under 122 F for a while, to enure that all of the remnants have evaporated out of the flaky remains.

Step 8] Proceed to scrape the mixture up, which can then be ground up into a powder for consumption how you see fit.

Is it REALLY this easy? If it is, I see some cacti chips in my future... For some reason I thought it was harder to extract M than DMT...

^a simple alcohol extraction, like the one described above, is exactly like a straight to base DMT extraction.
Both are very easy.
The only difference is with the STB DMT extraction you get some pretty clean product, with cacti you dont.

For a better quality mescaline extract you need to do an acid/base extraction.

Well easy is relative... From what I've read of DMT extraction methods, its certainly not something I could do in my bedroom. This I could though. (I have a very straight edge roommate who would NOT be happy to see me doing pulls and freeze precips in the kitchen - he'd know I was doing something illegal right away)