• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Melatonin

I use 5 - 15 mgs daily depending how im feeling. It knocks me out and works amazing as a sleep aid. I deffinatley suggest trying it if thats what you were looking for. And its only like $5 for a bottle of 60 5mg tabs too

Benzodiazaboy said:
i recently tried rozerem, even tho people are saying for the most part its not that great (tho people on this forum generally judge sleep meds for rec purposes) its a 17x powerful melatonin agonist on the same receptors, which for me puts me easy to sleep if i lay in bed in darkness for about a half hour while it takes effect

i don't think people get the effect or rozerem that well because it's supposed to build up in your body over a period of days, full effect occurs after you take it nightly for 6-10 days. i am on that, and after a week, it's amazing for solid sleep.

Hey....I've read from multiple sources the LOWEST effective dose is actually MORE effective than unleashing it into your brain like the flood. 1/2mg is considered by MIT to be more than enough, and in addition, they further state that ...blah blah blah i dont feel like typing anymore so ill just give you the Wiki link, which in this case is plenty credible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin#_ref-Lewy2002_0

I take two every night just as I get in bed, and I fall asleep in like 15 minutes. Without them, it takes me like an hour and a half.

I usually take two chewed up and sometimes it has worked and while other times it didn't do a damn thing. When it didn't work I believe I was in opiate withdrawal and melatonin is just not strong enough to put someone in withdrawals to sleep.

-> Basic Drug Discussion

Melatonin works pretty well for me. I like the fact that melatonin is hormonal and it helps you sleep in a more subtle way without knocking you out like the OTC antihistamines do. I've found that 2-3mg of melatonin is an optimal dose for me. I normally feel groggy in the morning if I take much more.

Melatonin IMO, isn't the thing for someone who needs something to PUT them to sleep, it won't put anybody anywhere in my experience with it, but it can allow someone to sleep when they otherwise could not sleep, and who is not wide eyed for any external pharmacological or internal medical problem.

I got a whole load of the stuff a year or two back, but even at doses up to about 70mg, it didn't make me sleepy, I have some pretty bad insomnia a lot of the time, the main problem being delayed sleep onset, I found that I didn't have to 'fight' my mind and body to fall asleep as I often do when taking it, but it didn't make me tired at all.

It did seem to improve dream recall though, I cannot however recall, if it made me dreak more in total though, as it was about 2-3 years since I tried using it seriously.

can i ask why on one bottle of the supplement said, take it with vitamin b6 ? :\

B6 aids melatonin metabolism, I guess... I just googled it and that's what it said.

ive taken a good fourth of a bottle of 3MG before and never even noticed a difference. i did get some pretty effed up half awake half asleep hallucinations, also they seemed to make my dreams more vivid, which made them even more frightening if possible for me. but no difference in a good nights sleep, but then again ive been taking diph and OTC sleep aids for years, id dunno, that might have a negative effect on the melatonins effects

Note: some melatonins actually come with B6 already in them. Natrol, which i got at walmart, the 3MG bottle, has vitamin B6 combined in it.

Melatonin is a tryptamine, in highe enough doses, hallucinationsa are to be expected. Poison control consideres anything under 100mg perfectly safe for an average adult. Mind you, I'm not avocating anyone go out and eat a quarter gram of this stuff or mix it with tricyclics, antihistamines, or MAOI's to prevent its metabolism and increase its effects. ...no, I would never do that. ;)

mulberryman said:
Melatonin is a tryptamine, in highe enough doses, hallucinationsa are to be expected. Poison control consideres anything under 100mg perfectly safe for an average adult. Mind you, I'm not avocating anyone go out and eat a quarter gram of this stuff or mix it with tricyclics, antihistamines, or MAOI's to prevent its metabolism and increase its effects. ...no, I would never do that. ;)

wait.....combining melatonin with an antihistamine increases its effects? lawlz oh thats perfect.... *looks at diph and melatonin bottles*

I take 6 mg 3-5 hours before bedtime for delayed sleep onset syndrome and I get to sleep nicely.

Take 50 mg and you'll have some of the most crazy ass vivid and lucid dreams of your life.

Sublingual melatonin works a lot better than just swallowing a regular pill of melatonin, for me.

Also, I took about 10mg sublingually one night chased by an energy drink to keep me awake. Smoked some weed and got a much more trippy high than I normally would.

Insomnicsleeper said:
wait.....combining melatonin with an antihistamine increases its effects? lawlz oh thats perfect.... *looks at diph and melatonin bottles*

diph works ok, but amtryptiline (Elavil) or nortryptaline (Pamelor) work alot better, both have antihistamine effects and like most antidepressants are unscheduled and easy to acquire. Be careful though, taking these combos every day can build up your melatonin levels to a toxic point. Also, be prepared to fall sleep for a long time..

Ham-milton said:
B6 aids melatonin metabolism, I guess... I just googled it and that's what it said.

Yeah, my bottle of 3mg melatonin + 10mg of B-6 pills says,
"Natrol Melatonin supports healthy sleep patterns. The body naturally releases melatonin in response to changes in light, with melatonin levels rising at night, vitamin B6 is essential for melatonin production. It is in this way that melatonin helps to promote sleep."

I guess this means that taking vitamin B6 by itself at night might help your brain naturally produce/use more melatonin.

Nitrous is Nice said:
Sublingual melatonin works a lot better than just swallowing a regular pill of melatonin, for me.

I used to get the sublingual kind and I loved it. But I haven't been able to find it in the past few years. Definitely kicked in faster.

*runs off to search online*

careful with the B6 though, too much can screw up your sense of balance. I used to use it quite freuently and find I had trouble standing up quickly and would nearly fall over.

I have taken it over the years for sleep aid. I can definitely agree that you will have vivid dreams. A little hard waking up sometimes. .

Last edited: