• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Melatonin

Harumscxarum

Bluelighter
3mg does anyone have experience with it? I have some. Is it worth taking. Not looking for any recreation, just a good nights sleep

I use it as a sleep aid and find that it works fairly well for me for the most part. It tends to cause pretty vivid dreams too.

it works fairly well for sleep.
definitely a better alternative to diphenhydramine hcl or doxylate succinate.
valerian root also works okay.

i tried all the OTC sleep aids until i began getting nasty side effects from diphenhydramine and am now on prescription sleep meds. it's nicer.

I found it to be quite good, especially in the beginning. I would suggest you don't use it daily or IME it will lose it's effectiveness over time.

It didn't work at all for sleep for me.
But it gave me some strange dreams...

Taking melatonin doesn't create tolerance... it should be effective indefinitely. Try at about 1mg.

well it has been stated that it works better for older people as they tend to stop generating melatonin as they get older ,maybe thats why older people get up so damn early :)

anyway,it also helps a bit during withdrawl,i used to teake up to 10mg a night after alcohol withdrawl,now 3mg will have me groggy as hell the next day

basically your brain is supposed to release this after the lights go out

It often works, but it can be very strange and not in a pleasant way at all (fear of physical, cardiac) problems. Got too spooked.

helps me sleep when nothing else does, and VERY WELL at that

here's my deal with it....
i can't sleep if i'm withdrawing, obviously
and sometimes i get sooo high that i can't sleep either
cuz the high is so intense, ya know?
so i got some sleep restore which is mostly melatonin

works incredibly well when i need it
not sure why else you'd take it

I find melatonin is good if you are trying to wean off the weed. As weed tends to deplete your body's reserves of melatonin, taking it as a supplement ensures that you get a decent night's sleep. Well, it works for me anyway. If I don't take it and I am withdrawing from weed, I too often wake up in a pool of sweat and crazy insomnia after only 2 hours of shut eye. That totally sucks. :\

Iv found it to be the best OTC sleep aid. The body naturaly produces melitonin when its totally dark w/ out any light( i.e. right before bed when all the lights are out). So it seems best to take the melitonin abuot40-50min before bed, and then have all the lights out so it can (try) to do its job.

Last edited:
HYDRO_CHRONIC said:
basically your brain is supposed to release this after the lights go out

and thats the truth! so go ahead! no harm i suppose...good night!:|

PLUR

melatonin always seemed like a placebo to me, with headaches involved....i recently tried rozerem, even tho people are saying for the most part its not that great (tho people on this forum generally judge sleep meds for rec purposes) its a 17x powerful melatonin agonist on the same receptors, which for me puts me easy to sleep if i lay in bed in darkness for about a half hour while it takes effect

Melatonin is really great when nothing works anymore for sleep; when benzos, antihistamines, Seroquel, Ambien,etc... stop working, then Melatonin is there and can give you a good night of sleep.

10 mgs knock me da fuck out and it's pleasurable, unlike flexeril (cyclobenzaprine).

melatonin worked well for me at first, but then it started keeping me up... alll niiight longggg. so i stopped taking it. however, i've found valerian root to be awesome for sleepytime. i eat one dose while getting ready for bed, lie down for a while and bam i'm out. i also remember my dreams much more clearly after taking valerian.

marquee said:
Taking melatonin doesn't create tolerance... it should be effective indefinitely. Try at about 1mg.

I've found it can actually create tolerance, but tolerance also drops fairly quickly after discontinuing use.

10mg is usually way more than enough, but also far below the maximum safe adult dose, which I've heard to be around 60-90mg. but I can't even image (or even want to) the effects of such a high dose.

I personally took 25mg once and slept for over 12 hrs.

I occasionally use 15mg ar bedtime purely for the interesting effect it has on my dreams. I either dream more, or find I am able to remember them a little better. Nothing fantasti though, it doesn't make me lucid or anything..