• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

Even though I would never in a million years join the army I can't tell you to do the same. I can tell you though please don't join the army just because of the schooling benefits assuming you are in the U.S.... Don't forget we ar still at war. You should join the army because you want to fight for our country NOT just because they give you free money for school. Is all that free money or placement good if you happen to die? So many people join because of the free schooling Advertising going around today not fully understanding the risks involved or how hard military life actually is. I wish recruiters would try "selling" The being proud idea more than the free money idea... but no this gets more bodies into the program...

Maybe if they improved pay/benefits/carreer oppurtunities, it would get more bodies into the program? It dosn't help that we work longer hours for less pay and less appreciation than are civilian counterparts.

I joined the navy reserve not too long ago. I'm set to go to basic training January 4th. I'll be in Chicago for 8 weeks and then to "A" school for another month to be trained as a "Master at Arms" other words, military police. I scored a 68 on my ASVAB, supposedly the hardest test they had to offer (out of 3). I get $20,00 (taxed of course) after I get back from training. I joined specifically for the money and training. I hope to god that I will never have to be in the line of fire or having to kill anyone directly. I am very nervous and scared because I have so many plans for my future life that can't be stopped by me dying. I'm thinking maybe as a reserve, I'm going to get out after my 8 years is up. I don't know if I'll be switching to full time active duty. That scares me so much :( I'll find out though. Training is soon..... :-/

djwhirlpool said:
If people stopped enlisting in the army and started acting insane when they drafted. We would have no military and then we wouldn't be able to fight in any wars.

So in your opinion, we shouldn't have a military?

Uhhh.. join the peace corps maybe. That way you'll travel, get a free ride, meet exotic people.. and NOT kill them!

Besides, in any way I look at it, people who join the military get shafted. Trauama, fucked benefits, families get screwed, staying longer than told, veterans screwed ...

Dameon Saint said:
Maybe if they improved pay/benefits/carreer oppurtunities, it would get more bodies into the program? It dosn't help that we work longer hours for less pay and less appreciation than are civilian counterparts.

That's because your stupid ass joined the Marines. Marines don't get shit for bonus, or benefits.

I'm active Army Infantry. I'm sitting in S. Korea right now, and I have had three weeks in a row so far where I have not done shit. I'm serious I haven't done shit. I have another three day weekend coming up, and I still won't do shit on Thursday. Sure when I leave here I will probably end up going to Iraq, but I can live with that. It's only a 6 month deployment for my MOS.

If you go Army, go for aviation. Anything to do with aviation, and you'll end up in thee easy posts, and the best tours. Since you graduated High School, you could also try to get into the pillot program. I'll warn you though. SERE is a bitch if you aren't mentally strong.

If you needd any questions answered about the Army, just PM me. It's true, the military is not for everyone. Try not to get lost in the idealism that other's will throw at you, and all of that garbage. Onnly you will know what's best for you. The worst that could happeen is you sign up for threee years, and hate it. Serve your time get respect from great people, and get the benefits of having that on any resume, and that GI bill.

Once you talk to a recruiter, all you have to do is go through the screening process, and background check. Then if you get the go on every station, they will seet you up with a government employee to pick your MOS. You can pick anny MOS thhat your ASVAB allows. If thhhey give you shit about it not being availlable, just tell them no to everyone they bring up, until they tell you to wait. Mind you they wiill keep you there all damn day tryinng to get you to sign for a deficient MOS. Just tell them you'll come back when the one you want is available, and hold your ground. You'll see what I mean when you get there. After a while they will all of the sudden have a slot open for you. ;)

tthe goarmy.com website has a list of the MOS available. Do your research, and know what you want when you go to the MEPS.

If in doubt, ask someone that's there, or knows about it. Seriously I thought it would be a nightmare in the Army, the hardest thing is basic, and all the mind games they play on you.

Please do PM me iif you still have aany interest in joining. I'll help you with dealing with the recruiter's, and all of that crap.

Solksjaer said:
I have the funds to get into college, but only a 2.8 gpa with a 1070 SAT score, not great. I wanted to attend college out of state and completely away from this boring shitty place I call my own personal hell. I gott acceptted into Clemson, USC (University of South Carolina) but I am from up north and have no interest in staying put here. I applied to schools in Cali, and up North a few I got into a few I didnt want to even apply to but was forced by the folks. Its a hard so I took a semester off.

2.8/1070 isn't great but it's certainly enough to get into many, many colleges. The colleges you say you got accepted to aren't bad either. I'd reccomend looking into this a bit more, maybe take a year off and work if you need money(and most everyone does unfortunately :( )

ive just recently in the past year gone through the whole joing process and what not with the US military so if u have ne questions u need answered send me a PM.

MEPS def sucks, having an 80yr old tell u to bend ova and drop ur shorts lol. ;)

but give me a holler if u have ne questions.

also check out About.com military
lots of info there, thats where i asked all my questions before i met with recruiters and went to MEPs.

Here is what I asked myself before backing down:
1) Am I willing to put my life on the line to "protect" interests and policies I may not agree with?
2) Am I willing to take another human beings life in order to promote my interests and the interests of my countrymen?
3) Can I really not find anything more "fun" to do than waiting to kill or be killed on a saturday night?

If you can say yes to all 3 of these then go for it... If it's just yes to the first two then consider the fact that our troops are already streched thin & military involvement in Iran & N. Korea will escalate (maybe not to a "hot" war but will still have to deploy more troops to the areas). It's one hell of a decision that you can't walk away from easily, think it through

Alright, I agree that the decision is not something you should take lightly at all, but some of the responses here are just one-sided. Here is a more balanced list:

Cons: You may get killed, you may have to kill others, you may have fight for something you don't believe in.

Pros: There are many military jobs where are not in harms way at all. You get to fight for something you may believe very strongly in, you will learn to be a leader or a follower depending on the situation, you will learn how to perform under pressure (depending on unit this includes the most severe pressure: threat of death), you will learn to do crazy shit depending on your unit.

I took your question to be the military as a whole. You can work a non-combat position in the military where they train you and teach you a trade. If you chose more comat-oriented work, remember that once you sign up you are sent out, don't enlist unless you are sure of yourself. In my opinion, basic infantry is not a good choice; the pro points are not very pronounced. Air Force and Navy have some pretty good opportunities, don't rule them out. If you are fit enough you can get into some absolutely insane units. Take the ASVAB. Ask a recruiter what kind of stuff you can try to get into. Of course, don't let him sweep you away with some idealistic notion of your job, in the military there will be times where your life sucks. But in a non-combat position it really isn't that different from a regular job. If you get into a good combat unit I guarentee you will come out a more capable person (assuming you don't die).

Last edited:
JuicyJay said:
I joined the navy reserve not too long ago. I'm set to go to basic training January 4th. I'll be in Chicago for 8 weeks and then to "A" school for another month to be trained as a "Master at Arms" other words, military police. I scored a 68 on my ASVAB, supposedly the hardest test they had to offer (out of 3). I get $20,00 (taxed of course) after I get back from training. I joined specifically for the money and training. I hope to god that I will never have to be in the line of fire or having to kill anyone directly. I am very nervous and scared because I have so many plans for my future life that can't be stopped by me dying. I'm thinking maybe as a reserve, I'm going to get out after my 8 years is up. I don't know if I'll be switching to full time active duty. That scares me so much :( I'll find out though. Training is soon..... :-/

Navy Reserve? I don't think you have to worry about dying. Boot camp flies
by, nothing to it :)

^
I've been hearing that the Navy is starting to replace Marines with these "Masters of Arms." The idea is that they are sailors who can fight if necessary. Serve as JJ said, armed guards. JJ: you may have to fight, but the chances are much lower than that of other units. Even if you get sent to active, its my impression that you guys get trained very well, and will be completely prepared for anything that may happen. Besides, the more dangerous posts will go to Marines. Although Vandalaay probably knows more than me, I'm not currently serving.

hyperboreasghost said:
^
I've been hearing that the Navy is starting to replace Marines with these "Masters of Arms." The idea is that they are sailors who can fight if necessary.

Where did you hear this? :\

MAA's = police officer. This is pure LE not combat. Crowd control,
maintaining discipline afloat, picking up drunk sailors on liberty (Shore Patrol),
working at the brig, etc. The job is essentially to enforce rules & regs.

You may get to arrest a Marine though! lol

err... yea you are pretty much right. The Navy is starting to replace some guards who are Marines with their own people, mostly MAs, but this is experimental and on a small scale, it won't effect this guy and they are probably going to only take volunteers for the job. I heard this from a friend who is in the Navy, reliably guy (of course you shouldn't take my word but you may find something on google)

It was MA or no military at all. That is the only job I wanted and would join for. The $20,000 bonus made it look even more rewarding for reserves. It was a limited time deal and it's the only job I've ever wanted, I gladly joined. MA is other words for MP. My duties will be to regulate and enforce standards. I was told that I will most always be stationed on shore. I can volunteer to go on a carrier. Maybe one day, if or when I switch to active I'll go on a carrier to travel the world. I can't wait to go to training. Chicago for basic, San Antonio for "A" school.

I am currently in the marines and enlisting was the best decision i made, but i urge you to think about it awhile and decide if its right for cause it can be rewarding or it can be like hell.

Enlisting in the military was the best thing I ever did. I would still be there today if I hadn't required knee surgery. I joined the Canadian Armed Forces right out of high school. I joined a Military Police unit, with the intentions of doing it for five or six years then applying to my local municipal force.
As has been stated on this thread, there are many jobs in the military (Canadian or American) that do not entail combat. I worked at the local armoury making military I.D.'s for the most part, among other desk type jobs.
I enjoyed it so much that I was thinking of making it a career, until an old knee injury started acting up again and I required surgery (I go for my fourth in 12 years next week). Since I was unable to complete the required courses to upgrade my skills, I was discharged.
Not going further is my one of my biggest regrets.
I'd look into further if I were you. Just talk to people you know in the forces. Gathering information never hurt anyone.

Dude,

Serving in the military, is alot like doing psychedelics.

People who haven't done it, don't know what they're talking about, and don't know what they're missing.

Make sure you 1) sign a short contract (1 - 2 years) or 2) get an airborne contract

David said:
Umm, Rangers anyone? The Airborne Rangers have the second hardest training in the military forces. This is second only to the SEALS, and then there are other forces, but they don't really exist, now do they.;)

Okay you bunch of rejects, I am certain none of you have what it takes for any of these branches. But, for you information, U.S. Marine Corps Force Recon Train right along side of the Navy Seals. If you dont know ask somebody that really does.