• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Thinking about joining the military.

and actually all of the teachers love me and think I'm a very good person.....as long as I'm not in their class lol :\

Enlisting in the Army????

I Graduated in the class of 2005/2006 and ever since my lifes been boring. In highschool I played varsity soccer, and had a good crew, unforunately I was the only one not accepted into any of the colleges I wanted to attend. So this brings me to the next point, the army. I have not contacted a recruitter because I don't want to be pestered to hell by them. So if any bluelighters are currently in the military or have been in the service in the past 5 years could you tell me about your experiences and thoughts on the entire subject.

man why the army? do you want to go fight in Iraq? before you even think about signing up take the asvab see what you score check out what MOS your interested in then go from there the military can be a great oppertunity if your smart about it.

Been through the recruitment process, pulled out at the last minute.

Basically, went in to the recruitment centre and made an appointment to take the BARB which is the test which lets them see which jobs you can do. The higher you score the more jobs you can do, I got 59/60 so I could do any of the jobs except Military Police.
Then had to go in a few more times to make sure I knew what I wanted to do and had filled out the right forms then I went on a one day course thing to watch the bomb disbosal team and talk to them because that's the career I chose.
Then I went and did my two day selection process where you go off to some barracks and do fitness tests ( mile and a half run, strength tests, maths tests etc) and you do your medical there too (yes you have to get naked haha).

I passed that so I got my letter saying I was now Ok to join up, which is when I changed my mind and pulled out.

This is in the UK, it's probably different in America.

^^ Actually it's pretty much the same here. You take the ASVAB though to see which jobs you qualify for, and you don't get to talk to people in the job you choose. You just go straight to the medical/fitness stuff and at the end of it you don't get a letter saying you can join you swear in that you will join no matter what.

Anyway, if you're the kind of person who always seeks out dangerous activities I'd say go for it.

were you not accepted to any colleges, or did you just not like the ones you were accepted to? you can always start somewhere you don't like and then transfer somewhere better. imo, if you have the motivation and means to go to college, go to college.

I don't know about the states but over here, if you're a certain age, the army will basically pay for you to go and learn a skill/trade at college.

I have the funds to get into college, but only a 2.8 gpa with a 1070 SAT score, not great. I wanted to attend college out of state and completely away from this boring shitty place I call my own personal hell. I gott acceptted into Clemson, USC (University of South Carolina) but I am from up north and have no interest in staying put here. I applied to schools in Cali, and up North a few I got into a few I didnt want to even apply to but was forced by the folks. Its a hard so I took a semester off.

Just a lil FYI....The army is not the WHOLE military....

Take the ASVAB (which applies for all of the military) and look into what jobs you qualify for in all of the branches...

In my experience (im in the Air Force), its all about the job that will determine how your military experience will turn out....

I work Aircraft Maintenance in Avionics (its basically electronic and comp maintenace)....Its a cool job i like it....

Im not suggesting u join the AF or whatever...I just want u to know that the military is not all guns and ground combat....Enter the 21st century...In the Air Force we press buttons and let our toys do the dirty work....I suggest u check out some of the more technological jobs, medical jobs, ect....

Sorry you didn't get into the colleges you really wanted, but maybe you should consider going to a college that would accept you. Don't sign up to die. :(

yes join, you might save me from getting drafted ;)

but seriously i know 3 people in the marines and 2 in the army
(all of them have been or are still over seas at war)
two of them have been to iraq 2 times for 9 month terms
and only one of the kids i know is happy with his choice about enlisting
{but hes a whole lot of fucked up mentaly, no joke. not the same kid he was before}

when you get back they give you iv drugs and wont tell you what they are. then they put you through a 2 week program so you can be released to society again.
they fuck with your mind bro. right off the bat they drill that shit in your head.
you are better, higher ,and stronger then the general public. my friends came back from boot camp refering to everyone as civilians.

not to disscourage you or anyting haha, but im not bullshitting you

Last edited:
have you thought about going to community college for a year to make your bones and then trying to transfer into one of the colleges you wanted to go to?

Yes I thought about community college for a year, I have registered for class's for january already. If I do stick it out and stay for college and don't get into my first choice college after a year, I am going into the army. The Citadel is my first choice college by the way.

djwhirlpool said:
Sorry you didn't get into the colleges you really wanted, but maybe you should consider going to a college that would accept you.

yeah go to one of those college, get kick ass grades, and transfer.

Dameon Saint said:
<~~~ Marine Infantry... Don't do it. For the love of god please don't do it!
^^ SEE i wasnt kiddin around if you cant get into your collage and join the army, plan to go over seas.

and whats the big deal about the name of the collage anyway? if you can get the same degree go with the cheaper one.
your gonna pay $20K extra so you can brag about big name schools?:\

All it is is games. Signing that contract is like signing away your soul for 4 years.

27 Reasons why McDonalds is better than the Marine Corps

1. If you have to take a piss, you can go take a piss. No questions
asked.

2. You'll never have to go port and starboard on the fryer.

3. Better pay.

4. The ability to quit!

5. McDonald's doesn't deploy.

6. They have actual janitors.

7. No McDrills.

8. The grill breaks... You CALL someone to fix it.

9. No time at McDonald's will you hear your boss give a thirty minute
dissertation over the P.A. on the importance of being at the register
15 minutes early.

10. McDonald's will eventually fire the ***REALLY*** stupid
employees.

11. If McDonald's catches fire, you LEAVE.

12. Someone else makes the water.

13. Personnel inspection requirements are written on the door. (No
Shirt,
No Shoes, NO Service!)

14. At McDonald's, dislocating your shoulder is not considered
getting the 'good deal'.

15. If you want to buy your boss a beer, that's okay.

16. If you want to tell your boss to 'f*^k off and just die, f*^king
die', that's okay too.

17. There is no Uniform Code of McDonald's Justice to deal with.

18. No one will wake at 2 in the morning to start the grill.

19. Chance of you getting called back after you get off work are
pretty damn slim.

20. $2.99 is a meal price, not a daily wage at McDonald's.

21. You don't have to go single register operations if someone spills
a Coke.

23. You don't have to come in to work at 7:00 am only to wait around
for an hour for your boss to tell you things you already know.

25. You don't have to take apart the shake machine once a quarter,
JUST BECAUSE.

26. You scrub the floors because it's dirty, not because it's
Thursday.

27. ALL of the articles of the Constitution apply to you at
McDonald's.

Please don't join. My husband is in and is scheduled to get out next year. I am so glad he is. One of our best friends was killed this past Thursday, and he was supposed to come home in a month. He was the best man at our wedding...He went to Iraq with my husband already.......He has 3 children....Countless others have lost their lives in this shit we call war.

Please think about it very hard...You have no idea how many people you will hurt if you die. It's not worth it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything the soldiers have done, but don't make what could be the biggest mistake of your life.

Look up song lyrics for "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie.

If people stopped enlisting in the army and started acting insane when they drafted. We would have no military and then we wouldn't be able to fight in any wars.