• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

You have to get off the drugs!! Use only what is prescribed and use it as directed. Stop using what you can live without like the weed.

You can count on being screened in your workplace, especially when you have your RN. My concern is that if you start your profession with a substance abuse disorder it will only worsen and before you know it, you just gave yourself the fentanyl that was meant for Mrs. Jones who had her gallbladder removed.

Trust me on this one, this shit happens all the time amongst nurses, the nursing profession more than others. They will watch you like a hawk, and if you're diverting substances you will be caught! And you can lose your license for a positive THC test. Within the licensure board there is a zero tolerance for medical professionals using illicit substances.

Stress + access = addiction, which is often followed by jail, loss of nursing license, loss of livelihood, your home, family, etc. I see it all the time! Perhaps you should use your time out of the program to REALLY learn how to manage stress. Would you benefit from going to rehab?

Sorry for sounding like a mother hen, but you're young, so use that to your advantage.

You have to get off the drugs!! Use only what is prescribed and use it as directed. Stop using what you can live without like the weed.

You can count on being screened in your workplace, especially when you have your RN. My concern is that if you start your profession with a substance abuse disorder it will only worsen and before you know it, you just gave yourself the fentanyl that was meant for Mrs. Jones who had her gallbladder removed.

Trust me on this one, this shit happens all the time amongst nurses, the nursing profession more than others. They will watch you like a hawk, and if you're diverting substances you will be caught! And you can lose your license for a positive THC test. Within the licensure board there is a zero tolerance for medical professionals using illicit substances.

Stress + access = addiction, which is often followed by jail, loss of nursing license, loss of livelihood, your home, family, etc. I see it all the time! Perhaps you should use your time out of the program to REALLY learn how to manage stress. Would you benefit from going to rehab?

Sorry for sounding like a mother hen, but you're young, so use that to your advantage.

Good news surfaced a couple weeks ago. I have another opportunity to return to school for the fall semester if I can show my professors that I have developed a sound plan for improvement. I also have planned to meet with the school's counselor to discuss time management.

I recently started working as a Patient Care Technician at a local hospital last month. Since then I have ceased my use of cannabis. I love the work I am doing, and I believe these past few months of chaos have served as prime discipline. I am also using my prescriptions as prescribed.

My friend, who played a role in my distraction during the beginning of this past spring semester, is transferring to a school on the other side of the country for the fall semester. Although he will be missed, his departure is going to be bittersweet to some degree.

I have hope that my job, cessation of recreational drug use, and will-power to evade superficial distractions will be firm focal points in my success. I only hope that my professors readmit me into the program.

^^That's great--keep up the hard work.

What do you plan to say to your school?

I'm in the process of composing/arranging my key points but I will heavily emphasize on the impact that my job has had on my dedication to complete my studies with the school. I won't mention any substance use for obvious reasons. Plus, I believe that I have improved my view on how quickly substance use can wreck an academic semester.

I will be meeting with a school counselor next week and probably again after that within July. I will discuss my past 6 months, the impact my job has had on my aspirations, and I will leave an ear open to any suggestions that he/she (the counselor) has for my positive progress.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, and I will let you know when I submit the letter and the response I receive.

UPDATE:

So I received a phone call from the admissions office a couple days ago regarding my readmission. The final verdict is ...

NSFW:
I have been readmitted :). Classes begin in a couple weeks and I've been cleaning out my system, prepping my mind -- deep breathing is an incredible remedy %)
^ Safe for work!

I've been so busy this summer working and trying to achieve readmission. My summer has flown by but I don't mind at all. I'm ready to continue school, graduate, and get on with life.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post.

Love you all,

<3

Do misdemeanor drug charges disqualify one from federal aid?

I'm talking about in the USA. Does anyone know this? I've been going nowhere with my life up until now and am facing a 2nd DUI and possible misdemeanor drug charges. I tried to do some independent research but am getting mixed information. It seems a lot of attorney websites suggest that getting convicted will disqualify someone from getting aid to go to school. Then I read somewhere else that it would disqualify someone for a few years (depending if it's a 1st or 2nd conviction). I read that recently the law was changed to only affect someone who is CURRENTLY in school/receiving financial aid.

I'm sure I won't be going to school for at least 2 years anyway because that's how long it will probably be before I drive again (if convicted) and probably even longer before I get up money to go through with such an endeavor.

No matter what the case is, it's ridiculous if this law is still in effect. All this would do is force someone who is already at the bottom of society to stay there and never better themselves. That's stupid! If convicted of such charge the court is already deciding to punish you, why should someone be forced to pay twice? I'm 22 and don't think that it's too late to turn my life around, though the process will be long and difficult now. The important thing is that I now have a desire and reason to remain clean from hard drugs, they've ruined my life so far and I have no desire to continue this shit.

So has anyone here been through this or can shed any light on the situation? Thanks in advance
-Quasi

It only affects you if you already are receiving federal aid. If not then it doesnt apply. If you are receiving aid then your automatically disqualified for a year for each offense.

I think i'm in a similar boat as you. I'm currently attending a UC and have a pending case for a DUI and another for driving with a suspended license. May I ask, Funky Ferret, where did you get that info from??

No you haven't even been convicted yet.

And even when you are convicted I'd still say no. I was convicted of a first degree felony and got a job 1 week out of prison with a pretty scary record.
I also applied for school/financial aid that same season (fall 2006) and was accepted for all. I think I got about $8000 in stafford loans that semester, then $7500 the following semester.

I don't think financial aid will care unless they see you've been in and out of prison like 2 times or more. Than you become a much higher risk. LOTS of people are convicted of misdemeanors in this country, LOTS, and if financial aid refused aid to those people almost noone would go to college.

I have a misdemeanor for possession of cannabis from 1999 that I never paid the fine on and it is still technically an open case because of this. It has not affected my ability to get aid and grants, however. Basically financial aid is supporting me right now. However, I had to switch majors last year because of the fact it still shows up on my background check. I was originally going to go into registered nursing, and had planned on entering a phlebotomy program to help get me there but the phlebotomy program did not accept me because the clinics that they send the students to intern at don't accept anybody with a record. Very frustrating to be labeled as a permanent criminal for something so minor! If I pay the fine I can get my record expunged...but it would still be three years after paying it before I could clear my record.

So, ideally you will still be able to get aid, but you may have to think about what you are going to major in, especially if a background check is required.

This is a link that I got from the FAFSA website: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fotw12b.htm

I can tell you my experience. I got 2 DWI's in 2003 (actual convictions were 2004) and one of them had a marijuana possession tagged onto it. I was NOT a student receiving aid at the time. I just got into grad school this semester and am taking out a shitload of federal loans.

Look at that link I posted and answer it honestly. Personally, I don't think you should have a problem getting aid. Those attorney websites say that prolly just cuz they want to scare you into using their services.

need help getting a job with a felony

Hey I need alot of help right now. I currently don't have a job and i have never had. now I am only 19 but I already have an array of misdeamors and a felony. I just did six months in county for theft of a firearm but it was drop to grand theft. that is still a felony though. I am out now but I am on probation for 3 years and my po gave me 3 weeks to get a job. I'm a high school drop a felon and I have never had a job I have applied tolike30 places called and talked to mangers and no one will job because of my felony and i am just looking for advice on what I should I do. I am enrolling in night school but I need a job to pay for it. I have no experience in getting job plz help. and sorry if on how badly this is written i was in a real hurry. oh also I am from New Hampshire

what a monumental jam this guy is in ! PO has to be of assistance in this sort of situation .
my son did a year on a felony beef that he rang up at 18 years of age .
he has told me that the automotive oil change outfits will hire felons - that's the extent of my knowledge on the employment angle .

my 'dear abby' part goes as such ; when and if you can gather enough wealth, a portion of it would be well spent on attorney's fees incurred in petitioning the courts to expunge this felony if New Hampshire considers the age that you got convicted of this felony as a 'youthful offender'.

so far I have only seen my PO once since I have been out but I am seeing him tomorrow so I can talk to him about it.

Edit: it's real screwed up I can't get the most basic of jobs like McDonalds or Burger king because of my record. I really hate having to put yes on the part where it says have you ever been convicted of a felony blah blah blah. I feel like just putting no because either way if i put yes i am not getting the job. It's bullshit.

Last edited:
A google of "jobs for felons in NH" turned up this website. Check em out.

http://www.hirenetwork.org/who.html

National H.I.R.E. Network Mission Statement

Established by the Legal Action Center, the National Helping Individuals with criminal records Re-enter through Employment Network is both a national clearinghouse for information and an advocate for policy change. The goal of the National H.I.R.E. Network is to increase the number and quality of job opportunities available to people with criminal records by changing public policies, employment practices and public opinion. The National H.I.R.E. Network also provides training and technical assistance to agencies working to improve the employment prospects for people with criminal records.

The National H.I.R.E. Network is generously supported by the Public Welfare Foundation, the Fulfilling the Dream Fund and the Open Society Institute.