• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

To the original poster: I personally have no record but I have some friends who have been successul despite making some mistakes. One sold to a cop and has a DUI but is now a store manager for a national retail chain. Another has 1 or 2 DUIs and is an international traveling salesmen for a company that sells construction equipment. Another one got arrested for underage drinking and is now a cop. This thread is pretty discouraging. Everyone's just dicksizing with their criminal records and saying they aren't successful. It's possible to be a success with a record. The unifying thread with all of the successful crooks I know is that they were skilled with years of experience in their respective fields and continued advancing or were willing to start at the bottom and work their way up.

i got a criminal recored for drug dealing

i can never live in a different country

do you understand how bitter this makes me feel knowing i will die in England a place full of wanker$.

then theres the point of being turned down from most jobs coz of a criminal record

Bump: A friend was recently convicted of Domestic Violence (very stupid of him), I was reading online that such a conviction does affect Ur job opportunities. When I was going to Nursing School they told us that certain convictions (like this one) will preclude U from getting a license.

I'm worried about my friend finding a job!

Me: lotsa misdemeanor, false charges, went into business for myself and consider myself very successful.

EDIT: Friend called today & said he got a job selling furniture with lots of potential for advance & cash . . . maybe better than selling cars, which he has done for 15-years.

Last edited:
My career plans have been impacted by criminal history. I'm 22 and still in school, but I always wonder what my options are because of my legal problems. 3.5 years ago I was arrested for attempted manf. sched 1. subs (DMT). It was a bogus charge (manufacturing, that is) and was dropped to possession. Technically first offense so I got conditional discharge, i.e. charges dropped upon completion of 18 months probation and the heaps of bullshit that came along with it. No problem with that.

The problem is that I still have a record of arrest, and a record of being charged. I notice that more and more employment, visa, etc forms don't merely ask if you've been convicted; they ask about being arrested, being charged, or even if you've had anything expunged from your record! That last one really pisses me off. I mean what the fuck is the point of getting an expungment then!? Plus it still doesn't get rid of an arrest record anyway. Sigh.

I think a lot of jobs that I'd enjoy are out of reach now. I did a lot of helicopter flight training before I got in trouble and have always wanted to fly professionally. Unfortunately I was given the opportunity to pursue it before I had gotten my wild side out of my system. Obviously that sort of thing and flying do not belong together at all, I was quite aware of that and I honestly kept them completely separate in my life. Anyway I never lost my license but in order to fly you have to get a medical certificate that signifies that you're healthy and sane enough to be hurling complex heavy machinery above the general public's head. Fair enough. But I've been afraid to renew my medical because I know that it will be a massive headache. No matter if you're never convicted or have your record expunged, the FAA has access to all that shit anyway (FBI database), so as far as that goes it doesn't matter.

Now I'm in school and trying to get really good grades and not get in any trouble. My use of illegal drugs anymore is zilch. I just hope that by allowing several years to pass, things blow over, and by going to school and doing well, I can present a case that I at least deserve fair consideration in this process. But I harbor no illusions that it'll for sure work out.

Another option I've considered is working for a hydropower company where I grew up. I love the area and it's the only decent job around. Unfortunately it's a small community and I think everyone knows about the trouble I've been in, including the people in charge of hiring there. I'll never know until I try I guess. Other options I have in mind have similar problems.

I guess my situation is better than most that replied here, but this shit still sucks and it never goes away.

I'm quickly realizing what a mistake I thought I could make it to law school with my criminal history...

Hahaha.. i was planning to go to an awesome school too my grades aren't bad! Felony Distri, posession, and DUI all in 1. (that's the felony)

not even gonna list misdemeanors (not to downgrade anyones charge) but they don't stack to felonies....in my opinion.

Success is a different story for everyone. Am i successful? I think so, i'm a junkie of sorts with some stacks and working my way toward a prestigious degree.

Do I think of it as success? ... No, success to me would have been never getting busted, and millions by 28.

"Having money isn't everything. ........Not having it is."

Ive been Indicted on 4 Felony charges which were all dismissed a few weeks before my trial after a year and a half out on bond. I was given no explanation as to why they were dismissed.
Manufacturing Methamphetamine, Manufacturing Methamphetamine in a half mile proximity of a school, & Possession of Methamphetamine in one county. Manufacturing Methamphetamine in a second county. All these resulting from the same arrest.
I have a no contest conviction of possession of meth as a misdemeanor also.
Even though I was not convicted of the Felony charges, they remained on my record.
I have a GED and no college. I happened upon a great job making good money at a Pawn Shop. The owner and his wife have paid for all 5 of my charges to be expunged so that I may remain on their firearms license to sell guns and may keep my job. It's all like a fairytale. Never should have gotten off on any of these charges in the first place. Keep our heads up! Amazing things do happen for people like us!

I have no felonies, 2 DWIs, possession and paraphernalia (weed), a couple of disturbing the peaces, and an MIP from my younger days. I haven't had a run in with the law in 6 years....I guess I grew out of all that shit.

I'm working a job in sales making more money than I've ever made with the potential to make over $100K and am giving it up to go to grad school in the fall. I'd rather finish school and work a job that gives me personal fulfillment than make all that money.

I feel like I am succeeding by attaining many of the goals I have set for myself over the years.

I have midemeanor possession of THC and drug paraphanillia, felony possesion of MDMA, felony substantial battery with dangerous weapon. Did about two years in prison for the last one. I just finished a one year technical diploma and got a job as a CNC machinist. I'm not doing horrible, but it's definitely not the career in chemistry that I was thinking about when I caught the first of my charges.

Its fucking impossible to get a job right now especially with any record.

All the more reason for people to avoid breaking too many serious laws :p I used to do some really fucked up stuff like sell large amounts of cocaine which could have potentially screwed me for my entire life had I been caught. Thankfully I have never been arrested (knock on wood). Shortly after I stopped doing cocaine and selling things I decided to quit being so stupid. [Personally] I am not about to get arrested for anything; I am NOT willing to jeopardize my future (I don't want to sound haughty here; like I said this is just a personal thing). Anyway, I won't even let people with weed in my car, and I won't even drive if I think my BAC is over .08 (even when I am not buzzed it still matters because all they need is .08 for a DUI).

So I don't want to sound judgmental or anything but after a certain point do you just quit caring about your future or what? Do you just give up and say "screw it" ? I don't understand taking such dangerous chances at this point in my life, or actions that have extremely serious consequences on a personal, familial, and even financial level. Like I said before, I used to not care, but as soon as people around me started getting arrested I turned myself around regarding my carelessness. When I was at the point of dealing I didn't worry too much about getting caught because I thought I was being careful enough when in reality selling drugs at all is taking a HUGE risk on so many levels. You can never be too careful when it comes to all of this stuff.

I don't wanna sound like a preacher here; I am mostly curious as to why people continually break laws. I totally understand people being raised in unfortunate situations having a much harder time avoiding crime, especially when it's all a person has ever known. Other than that I do not understand any of this.

I think you just answered your own question through personal experience. Are you so disconnected from your past that you can't examine your own reasoning for doing what you did?

School/Substance Use

I have deep aspirations for becoming a nurse. This semester has been the most challenging BY FAR, and my performance was not nearly up to par. I have trouble merging my substance with time management. I take Adderall and Clonazepam daily, and Temazepam and smoke Cannabis nightly. I experiment with quite a few other substances on occasion.

1.) If I skip a day on taking my Adderall I get a much more pleasurable feeling the next time I take it (of course). The feeling gets better the longer I wait between doses (obviously). But when I do re-dose after skipping a day or more, my mind wonders elsewhere; to tasks I either want to do or tasks I've been needing to do (i.e., chores, interweb-related things, etc.). It's often difficult for me to stay on track with my studying; however, I've made a sure-fire effort over these past few months. I've dedicated almost everyday to studying.

2.) I need to find some medium. I need to improve my studies, especially next semester. I realize that once I begin working for a healthcare facility (i've been working for a home-health agency for the past year as a nurse technician [not very challenging and not what I want to do as a nurse in the future] but I soon will be working as a Nurse Extern at an accredited hospital) I will likely have to cut back on my substance use.

3.) I took an exam yesterday and needed to obtain a score of 84/100 to 'complete' the course. The entire course is 5.00 credit hours: it includes a lecture component that meets for 3 hours--once a week; there is an on-site, 80-minute laboratory component that meets once a week; lastly, there is an off-site clinical practice component. This clinical component is once a week and goes from 06:30 to 14:30.

4.) I received an 83/100 on the exam and have to repeat the entire course next semester, setting me back another semester in my studies; this is a damper for me psychologically, (psuedo-)ethically, and financially. My parents have assisted me with paying the high tuition since I began schooling 3 years ago. I have yet to tell them the news, as I am waiting until I take my last final examination on Monday (May 10th). I will not have a problem telling them; the problem lies in changes I must make to: excel, keep up hope, prove I am serious about my desire to achieve this degree -- amongst other needs for life adjustments.

5.) I made some costly mistakes back in January/February, which I believe crippled me tremendously. I have worked my ass off over the past few months to improve my academic standing. I came to very close and now am having trouble letting reality set in.

I have never vented my feelings in this fashion but I've grown closer to the BL community, and believe it's worth something to toss my current situation out for others to read. No need to sympathize; I'm just in a void at the moment.

8)8)8)

Oh wow man, 1 point? If you had a good track record with showing up to class, if I was the professor, I would have just given it to you. Good luck with everything, hopefully when you retake the course you'll get a much better grade.

Have you tried taking supplements along with Adderall? Have you tried Dexedrine?

As much as I like temazepam, I would not take it daily. I also don't personally like clonazepam. Have you tried Atarax for sleep/anxiety?

Oh wow man, 1 point? If you had a good track record with showing up to class, if I was the professor, I would have just given it to you. Good luck with everything, hopefully when you retake the course you'll get a much better grade.

Have you tried taking supplements along with Adderall? Have you tried Dexedrine?

As much as I like temazepam, I would not take it daily. I also don't personally like clonazepam. Have you tried Atarax for sleep/anxiety?

Yeah 1 point--and they're very strict on the grading. I had a 75.75 test average and need a 76 raw to 'pass' the class. I never missed a class and satisfactorily completed the on-site lab and off-site clinical components, never missing a meeting.

I have tried supplements w/ my Adderall dose--I have been meaning to exercise and eat better, school has taken my mind away from some essential elements. I was first prescribed Vyvanse, and that's a contributing factor of nearly messing up a previous school semester (but that's another story)--in short, I 'was sucked into it' or vise versa (???) Amphetamine >> strange, intriguing effects (can lead to chronic negativity (IME) :!) but the Amp salts are much more manageable, or they have shown to be the best thus far.

I am in love with Temazepam 'guity pleasure' %). I have taken anti-histamines in the past and they have proven to be effective; however, I enjoy the effects and quality of sleep Tem provides. I realize a pure sleep, with no chemicals used, is ideal :/

I find Clonazepam to be less intoxicating than Alprazolam for dose-maintained (currently ~0.75mg/daily) chronic use.

Last edited:
Maybe you should try taking your Adderall with the intention of it helping with your school work, rather than taking it for fun. Try not to skip days, just let your body get adjusted to it and let the medicine do its work to help you concentrate on school. I've found when I take Adderall (I am not prescribed it, but I buy it from friends when I need to cram for a big test or something), I need to be in a library or something, with NOTHING to distract me... like you, I've found that sometimes when I take it, I get focused on the wrong thing (like cleaning or something, as you mentioned).

I think cannabis can be a huge determent to studying as well. I smoke nearly everyday, I love pot, but I KNOW it negatively affects my schoolwork. I don't smoke on days when I have a lot of work to do, and I wait until after I finish my homework to toke. I've found that helps a lot.

I know you are working hard now, so don't get down on yourself. We have all had rough patches in our lives, and at least you didn't get kicked out of school or get addicted to meth or something super serious. Sure, this is a set-back, but you can bounce back. Best of luck :)

Also, do you live in the states?? Because if you do, I'm pretty sure at some point in your nursing school they are going to start drug testing you. I have friends in the nursing program at my school, and they get random drug tests :\

Maybe you should try taking your Adderall with the intention of it helping with your school work, rather than taking it for fun. Try not to skip days, just let your body get adjusted to it and let the medicine do its work to help you concentrate on school. I've found when I take Adderall (I am not prescribed it, but I buy it from friends when I need to cram for a big test or something), I need to be in a library or something, with NOTHING to distract me... like you, I've found that sometimes when I take it, I get focused on the wrong thing (like cleaning or something, as you mentioned).

I think cannabis can be a huge determent to studying as well. I smoke nearly everyday, I love pot, but I KNOW it negatively affects my schoolwork. I don't smoke on days when I have a lot of work to do, and I wait until after I finish my homework to toke. I've found that helps a lot.

I know you are working hard now, so don't get down on yourself. We have all had rough patches in our lives, and at least you didn't get kicked out of school or get addicted to meth or something super serious. Sure, this is a set-back, but you can bounce back. Best of luck :)

Also, do you live in the states?? Because if you do, I'm pretty sure at some point in your nursing school they are going to start drug testing you. I have friends in the nursing program at my school, and they get random drug tests :\

Thanks for the response. I was taking my Adderall everyday as prescribed, and I was not smoking until late in the evening AFTER I would complete my studying for the day.

I found out last week that I'm temporarily out of the program until a formal hearing next week. I will then propose the rationale behind my lack of success. I have to compose a letter to the committee hearing my case by this Friday.

I do not get tested while in school; however, I was tested last week before the start of my new job. I passed the test successfully, but I do dislike the fact that I will have random tests throughout my entire career. :\

I have ceased my cannabis and amphetamine use over the past week, in lieu of clearing my head (and body). The WD's were not pleasant for the first few days (of course). But now that my head is back on my shoulders I have the confidence to compose a compelling letter. Hopefully everything works out.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Yeah 1 point--and they're very strict on the grading. I had a 75.75 test average and need a 76 raw to 'pass' the class. I never missed a class and satisfactorily completed the on-site lab and off-site clinical components, never missing a meeting.

I have tried supplements w/ my Adderall dose--I have been meaning to exercise and eat better, school has taken my mind away from some essential elements. I was first prescribed Vyvanse, and that's a contributing factor of nearly messing up a previous school semester (but that's another story)--in short, I 'was sucked into it' or vise versa (???) Amphetamine >> strange, intriguing effects (can lead to chronic negativity (IME) :!) but the Amp salts are much more manageable, or they have shown to be the best thus far.

I am in love with Temazepam 'guity pleasure' %). I have taken anti-histamines in the past and they have proven to be effective; however, I enjoy the effects and quality of sleep Tem provides. I realize a pure sleep, with no chemicals used, is ideal :/

I find Clonzepam to be less intoxicating than Alprazolam for dose-maintained (currently ~0.75mg/daily) chronic use.

Exercise and a correct diet go a long way. Whenever I eat a lot of fruits/vegetables, I will get an enormous amount of energy. I am really happy that just simply eating good food can put you in a good mood/state of mind.

Exercise is also immensely helpful, the endorphins help you keep going throughout the day. If you're finding it hard to implement exercise, then couple another pleasure with it. For me, temazepam is also wonderful, but I also like simpler pleasures too like, a glass of chocolate Silk. So I'll have it after I am done exercising. :)

Thanks for the response. I was taking my Adderall everyday as prescribed, and I was not smoking until late in the evening AFTER I would complete my studying for the day.

I found out last week that I'm temporarily out of the program until a formal hearing next week. I will then propose the rationale behind my lack of success. I have to compose a letter to the committee hearing my case by this Friday.

I do not get tested while in school; however, I was tested last week before the start of my new job. I passed the test successfully, but I do dislike the fact that I will have random tests throughout my entire career. :\

I have ceased my cannabis and amphetamine use over the past week, in lieu of clearing my head (and body). The WD's were not pleasant for the first few days (of course). But now that my head is back on my shoulders I have the confidence to compose a compelling letter. Hopefully everything works out.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

I think it's 110% bullshit you have to be drug tested for your career. I guess drunk driving is as bad as drunk nursing? Might accidentally give the addict IV dilaudid instead of the pain patient or something? LOL... 8)

Anyways, the idea that medicine isn't something that should be taken by nurses is retarded. If a nurse in a hospital is taking drugs, you'll know by watching the inventory. It would become kind of obvious when it begins with the inventory being slack by one or two pills/ampules/patches, then it's short by 10's and 100's of units.

Besides, if you can't tell if someone is on drugs just by looking at them, how is a drug test that's inherently flawed going to be any more accurate? :|

Nursing school is hardcore, they don't mess around (i know, my fiancee is doing the same thing that you are), especially with the added stress of the high benchmark to pass the class (in college you can get a lower grade in plenty of classes and still do well). Its insane that they kick you out of the program for getting a few points below the level in one class. They don't even do that in grad school to my knowledge.

You've got to keep up your focus and dedication.

Make the letter to the committee really stand out in terms of your dedication and desire to succeed.

You could word it in terms of making the case that you are extremely dedicated and that distractions outside of school got the better of you last quarter and you are not going to let that happen ever again. Re-emphasize that this is absolutely what you want to do for most of your life. Explain you take full responsibility for your results, and you know you can do better, etc.

Good luck. I hope you can stay in the program.

So I have never tried Adderall

It's a stimulate isnt it?