• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Medical Q about MRI scans

rarerran

Bluelighter
Since I abused drugs cannabis mostly I have had a constant headache (more like a warm very discomforting unpleasant feeling than pain almost like a pressure feeling, had it 6 months now), went to doctor hoping to be referred for an MRI scan, he done some tests and said because there are no other symptoms he would not refer me for a scan. He told me it would go away on its own and an MRI scan would not show anything. He said if I had something like an unruptured aneurysm I would have other symptoms.

My Q is if I went private for an MRI scan is there any chance it would show anything useful? Given the fact I have no other symptoms other than how my head feels?

It would cost several hundered pounds maybe more, if there's even a smidgen chance that it will show what is wrong with me I'm willing to pay for it. I want to know what is wrong with my head.

And if an MRI scan doesn't show anything is there any other tests I can go have done and pay for privately? I've been to the NHS doctor already and I've just been shooed away telling me to wait it out but I'm desperate and having suicidal thoughts over all this.

If you really feel the need to get an MRI, I think the best option is to go back to a different Dr. but this time honestly make up some more symptoms that could cause for concern to get the MRI.
In the end it will be cheaper than private MRI and if there is anything of concern it will be found.

Also I have been to drs asking for MRI as well with moderate symptoms, I would ask and they would say no as well at first. But then I sternly looked them straight in the eye with full emotion, "Dr, please. I really need this MRI for peace of mind. I am very concerned and this is highly effecting my quality of life. I cant live a happy day while this is going on and wont until I find relief from even the smallest answer." Once I said that to him he understood and proceeded to have it ordered with some random reason. Its a drs job to help and care for their patients and if you are completely open with communication and how you feel then i dont doubt you will get one ordered.

for myself, I have spent over $30k going through stuff in reguards to drs and imaging to try to find some problems i have with my neck and head. I am on trials with a neuro dr for my head taking some gabapentin. I just started so not much to say if its working. but I also went to a special chiropractor and he is very smart. He cares much more than a dr and he made an extremely valuable note.
"A medical drs job is to evaluate symptoms and rely on imaging tests for solving, but us chiropractic drs rely on physical touch to determine what we think may be the problem. We have a better understanding of the way something feels and it even the smallest bone, muscle, or tendon is off, swollen, injured, etc.. We care in a different way because we understand that not all imaging tests can show the problem. Which is the case for many many neck and head issues."

That being said i would research a very good chiro in your area, explain how you feel and where on your head hurts. He will most likely feel all around your neck to see if there may be anything at all that could cause head pressure. even face and jaw.

Best of luck!

The doctor did ask me several times if I was still using cannabis/other substances and kept emphasising how I should abstain from them. I almost get the impression she doesn't believe I've been clean 5 months and thinks I'm still using stuff. If this is the case it certainly doesn't help me.

I'm going for a private MRI scan. My health is far more important than a few hundred pounds.