• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Mathematical (formal) and informal logic

How is anything possible in an infinite system?

That’s a strong claim.

Also, what do you mean by infinite system? And what does it mean add more infinities to it (isn’t it already infinite) ?

I guess I’m just not sure what you mean by infinity, as it doesn’t seem to be the mathematical sense of the word.
This moment that is extended forever..

So in otherworldly time is infinite..

So is the expansion of the universe.. and the expansion of information/knowledge.

How is anything possible in an infinite system?

That’s a strong claim.

Also, what do you mean by infinite system? And what does it mean add more infinities to it (isn’t it already infinite) ?

I guess I’m just not sure what you mean by infinity, as it doesn’t seem to be the mathematical sense of the word.

Infinity is a set, but it is also a set that contains all sets. This means that all sets of combinations are possible. Although this is a mathematical concept, if applied to the infinite universe of matter, it means that all possibilities are hypothetically possible.

Kind of like how an infinite number of monkeys at typewriters will eventually write a philosophy book, given infinite time and space.

Given that, a woman buying perfume is much more likely to be in Paris than for such a book to be made, in a system of infinite sets.

This is all to say that:

A woman buying perfume in Paris does not mean every woman buying perfume is in Paris.

But it's not a logical fallacy to say that it's probabilistical that any given woman buying perfume could be in Paris.

Last edited:
Can you produce MU with following rules using only the letters M, I and U?

Rule 1: if your string has as last letter I you can add U.

Rule 2: if you have Mx, you may add Mxx.

Example

If MU you can form MUU
If MIU you can form MIUIU

Rule 3: III may be replaced with U.

Rule 4: if UU then you can drop it.

Example

UUU can become U.

You start with the string;

MI

Okay, starting with MI,

I invoke Rule 2 which I believe results in MII

With MII I invoke Rule 2 again if I understand correctly resulting in MIII

From there I invoke Rule 3 which brings us to MU, our goal.

How did I do?

I am not familiar with ringing functions..

But a theory I was kind of concocting was Ring theory.. to do with sounds and rotations.. also in psychology the idea that something "rings true"

So can you describe ringing functions?

A ringing function was described to me as a periodic function that decreases in amplitude (e.g. sinusoidal) until it hits zero with a brief part of the domain sitting at zero before it starts again suddenly (recuringly) at maximum amplitude.

If I've go it right, the classic example of a ringing function was the volume of an old-school telephone with volume on the y-axis and time on the x. I seriously can't find an example due to the decline in search engines but they are cool looking!

gray-rotary-telephone-3.jpg

Believe it or not I'm old enough to have used a rotary phone! They were fun. One time my friend and I practiced hand-dialing phone numbers using something like a limit switch, back in the days of the older switching equpment before they upgraded to fiber optics. Crazy!

telegraph_operator.jpg

What is seen isn't eternal but what is unseen is eternal. Eternal cannot be put in a test tube. No math can solve it yet as your phone is in your hand, the two divides places are more real then this world we live in.

Last edited:
Okay, starting with MI,

I invoke Rule 2 which I believe results in MII

With MII I invoke Rule 2 again if I understand correctly resulting in MIII

From there I invoke Rule 3 which brings us to MU, our goal.

How did I do?
I believe if you have MII and you invoke rule 2, you get MIIII... No? Since the example sais if MIU then MIUIU...