L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Marriage…do you just know?

amnesiaseizure

Bluelighter
So after liking a girl for about 4 years now and reaching a point of knowing I love her but fully accepting that we were just gonna be friends, she opened up to me and all her feelings came tumbling out.

We first kissed on a drunken night out where we bumped into each other on the dance floor of a pub/club and all I remember are some freeze frame ‘clips’ - her face in front of mine, next thing we’re kissing.

I ended up with another girl that night that went on to be the mother of my second child and we stayed together for about 2 years. She couldn’t deal with the strong relationship I have with my first child and I was a lying alcoholic who just wasn’t in love with her. The disparity of emotional connection made my issues worsen to the point of utter selfishness and being a crap father which ate me up until we finally parted ways. And all through it the girl I met on the dance floor was still lingering in my mind. She was 17 years younger than me though so I just thought it was never gonna happen.

I fall in and out of another couple of short terms things until I decided enough is enough and that I need to have at least a year to myself to sort my shit out. I end up in hospital from pancreatitis and give up drinking for good…still sober for over 7 months now.

Beautiful dance floor girl is the only person to come and visit me in hospital. We start meeting as friends more and more and begin having ketamine fuelled days/nights in which some pretty incredible things happen. No sex though, i was really boundaried around this. I told her I found her really attractive and she didn’t respond with anything other than being flattered - I can’t recall exactly but nothing happened as a result and we agreed it needed to stay as friends. So I get used to the idea and I’m all good, I know I love her but don’t want to lose such a close friend and someone I genuinely admire, enjoy being around and care for very deeply. So time goes on and just over two weeks ago we have another night of ketamine which ends with us kissing. I honestly thought it was dream right up to the point where we were talking about what happened and I ask what was really stopping us from taking it further. At this point I start to realise this isn’t a dream and that things are really actually happening. I couldn’t believe it. I’d imagined this moment hundreds of times before and now, in front of me, it was unfolding. Every sentence coming from here and my mouth were sentences I’d imagined happening before - the sense of unreality was honestly overwhelming. I’ve never felt anything like it.

Fast forward to now and we’re openly in love. She’s told her family about me and I’ve told mine about her. People have been surprised about the ago gap - I’m 43 and she’s 27 - but to us it doesn’t matter, we get each other in ways I’ve never had with another person. I have bipolar type 2 and so does she along with ADHD so there’s plenty of ‘weirdness’ we both share and understand. Plus as a bonus she is quite literally the most gorgeous person with the fittest body I’ve ever met. Sex is incredible and the closeness and ease we feel seems like we’re both at the beginning of a long and full sex life together. Just kissing her sets me on fire.

There’s lots I’m leaving out I’m sure but the main point is, she was the only person I even considered breaking my abstinence from relationships for and someone I’d spoken to a very close friend about being so. I was committed to being a full time father and (my profession which I don’t want to disclose for my own protection) and knew a relationship would risk my sobriety and overall sense of calm that I’d worked really fucking hard to create. And now it’s happened and I still wake every day is disbelief that she wants to be with me.

Which leads to the question…do you just ‘know’ when you’ve found that person? Don’t get me wrong, im NOT about to ask her to marry me but I do have this sense that if things continue to be good I’ll end up at the place of asking her to be my wife. So it’d be good to hear from others who’ve had that sense of commitment from early days in a relationship. I’ve never had it this strong before, never wanted to be married to be honest but now I’m older I know I’d like to make that commitment to the woman I love. It’s important to me to publicly swear that I’ll be there forever.

I’ll edit and add more if I feel I’ve left stuff out but that’s the bones of it. I also may need to delete the post if she begins looking at blue light as she’s got a big interest in psychedelics too so don’t be surprised if it suddenly disappears.

Thanks for reading all, let’s hear what ya think…

Against all odds

Listening to your instincts is a skill most people can't "learn." People who don't listen to their own instincts often take the easy or safe road in life. They tend to enjoy following rules, even if it's against their own interests.

My main advice for you is to keep track of your own sobriety. At some point you will be disappointed and you will think about relapsing. This is normal. Just try to do your best to stay sober like you are now.

I think you have what it takes to marry her, it's likely to happen someday. My only other advice would be to not get hung up on the actual marriage part and focus more on expressing your emotions to her in a way that she understands. Learn all the little things that make her upset and all the little things that make her happy. Taking it to the next level doesn't always have to be a tangible idea such as marriage, oftentimes it's abstract...much like your post here on BL.

It took 2 months of dating before my partner and I decided to live together. We have a 33 year age difference and have been together for over 15 years now.

Thank you, that reply is really appreciated. I’m taking your advice and have been before actually reading your response to that’s heartening. She’s a complex person (like most I guess) and I’m making sure to give her her space as she needs it and respond with care and insight into her needs. It’s working, we’re doing great and it’s the first time I really want to do this - to really give someone their own space without lovebombing them or asking for my needs to be constantly met. Obviously that never worked out well in the past.

I’m definitely not set on marriage but the sense that I’d want to make a commitment to her for life is there and I’m aware of it. Not going to act on it yet at all, just interested in others’ experiences of a similar feeling.

I've never experienced discrimination with our age gap. None of my fears I've had about confrontations actualized themselves in real life. Most people are living in their own head too much to notice and the ones that do are usually just curious (oftentimes waaaaay more curious than you might originally have thought).

It can open doors for you if you let it. It can take time for others to process your relationship. You are processing it yourself right now and coming to a similar conclusion that most of us come to.

Relationships are difficult. Anything that is truly worth your time is going to require effort. The only thing that should feel effortless about your relationship is your feelings for her.

Well I'm married, and I don't recommend it;-)

Joking aside, this is a beautiful story, and I'm rooting for it to be a success. Hopefully you will log back in and give us an update soon. Your mental health issues are going to cause some drama, but I think that is going to make the story even better.

Typically I would advise slowing it down big time, and just enjoy this part of the relationship. However, slow has been my approach to two marriages now, and I don't think going slower helped anything.

Relationships are difficult. The only thing that should feel effortless about your relationship is your feelings for her.
This right there. You can struggle with any number of issues in a relationship, but if you're having to force your feelings, you should realistically ask yourself whether that's even still a relationship.

Thank you, that reply is really appreciated. I’m taking your advice and have been before actually reading your response to that’s heartening. She’s a complex person (like most I guess) and I’m making sure to give her her space as she needs it and respond with care and insight into her needs. It’s working, we’re doing great and it’s the first time I really want to do this - to really give someone their own space without lovebombing them or asking for my needs to be constantly met. Obviously that never worked out well in the past.

I’m definitely not set on marriage but the sense that I’d want to make a commitment to her for life is there and I’m aware of it. Not going to act on it yet at all, just interested in others’ experiences of a similar feeling.
Do you feel like you NEED this person in your life to be happy -? Would you be missing something significant and essential if she was not there? ...

If the answer to both is 'yes', then she's the one for you. And if she feels the same you're basically married, with or without a piece of paper.

I don't think we 'know'. We think we do, and we may 'want' to - but I don't reckon we really do 'know'

We may 'know' (sense) a compatibility, an attraction, maybe even a promising genetic match-up for procreation (I think that could be likely). We may 'know' that this person is 'right' for now even. But nobody can 'know' for the future, imo.

I mean, I'd wager that millions of people throughout history 'knew'....but then went on to discover days/weeks/months/years later that they actually did not.

Well... one thing I want to do in my life is get married. The thing is I've got to look for the right women to get married to. Too many times I've dated in the past and I just got the vibe that my former girls just wanted me to be there boy friend. But I was looking for than just more than that. I want a girl friend that's committed to being my partner for the rest of my life.

I did. I knew she was the one. I was with her for 5 years, some of the best years of my life. She was the only woman I’ve dated and knew that I truly loved her and would have married her.

But..

Heroin.

I’ve thrown away many things in my life, material possessions or not. Trucks, cars, houses, friends, family, lovers etc etc etc.

But the one thing I truly regret is losing her.

Stay good folks
Always, fair winds and following seas.

I did. I knew she was the one. I was with her for 5 years, some of the best years of my life. She was the only woman I’ve dated and knew that I truly loved her and would have married her.

But..

Heroin.

I’ve thrown away many things in my life, material possessions or not. Trucks, cars, houses, friends, family, lovers etc etc etc.

But the one thing I truly regret is losing her.

Stay good folks
Always, fair winds and following seas.
drugs eh, gotta love 'em

I don't think we 'know'. We think we do, and we may 'want' to - but I don't reckon we really do 'know'

We may 'know' (sense) a compatibility, an attraction, maybe even a promising genetic match-up for procreation (I think that could be likely). We may 'know' that this person is 'right' for now even. But nobody can 'know' for the future, imo.

I mean, I'd wager that millions of people throughout history 'knew'....but then went on to discover days/weeks/months/years later that they actually did not.

abso-fuckin-lutley

Respect, love, compassion, and wholesome recreation.

The success depends on that partnership.

Find happiness and trust in core values.

Create a safe, stable environment where you can support and strengthen each other.

Try to experience happiness and learn patients and selflessness to hopefully last as long as possible.

Or maybe throughout eternity.

You have to want it. Together.

But it can pay off in the long run . . . if you want it to.

And Yeah, it's work ! But can be good work for some of those who enter.