• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man who slaughtered his mother and nephew in a drug-induced psychosis gets 30 years

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
fdaa0d4659d9187c6ac6c723f6dd0ffb

Lance Rhodes sentenced to at least 30 years in jail for murder of his mum and nephew

A SYDNEY man who slaughtered his mother and nephew in a drug-induced psychosis and then said “die ... I don’t care” has been sentenced to at least 30 years in jail.

Lance Rhodes, 36, chased his mother Linda Adams outside her Lalor Park home in September 2015, stabbed her and repeatedly hit her with a 28kg statue before killing his nephew Brayden Rhodes, aged seven, who screamed “please don’t hurt me”.

Rhodes hung his head throughout the judgment in the NSW Supreme Court today.

“I’m satisfied this is grave offending,” Justice Stephen Campbell said when handing down a maximum sentence of 40 years’ jail.

“Brayden Rhodes would have known the offender was intending to kill (them) and like Linda (they) would have been terrified in their final moments of life.”

6bf00a9674b4698096bfd7b36a38f6b2

5a28ff5509cdd587636147ae5970b506

After attacking his 63-year-old mother, Rhodes returned inside where he told Brayden and another child who had tried to hide: “If you move, talk or speak, I’m going to stab you with this knife.”

Rhodes then grabbed and stabbed Brayden with a two-pronged knife amid his pleading in a high-pitched voice not to be hurt.

After Rhodes repeatedly slammed the child’s head against a wall he picked up a large piece of sandstone and using both hands, struck him/her repeatedly, causing extensive head injuries.

“Die, just f***ing die, I don’t care,” the court heard he said.

After his death, Brayden’s heartbroken grandfather Gregory Orchard gave The Daily Telegraph written permission to identify him.

Rhodes pleaded guilty to the murders in a local court after telling police he couldn’t remember anything and was “insane”.

7fe74eb9e41173ec5a441afd6b245a3e

He said he had consumed cannabis and ice, which he had been taking for about nine months, on the day of the attack.

Justice Campbell said the crime wouldn’t have occurred without the psychosis which was induced by a cocktail of drugs.

Brayden’s body was found near a tree on the property, while Ms Adam’s body was found face up about two metres from the door of her neighbours’ home. She had tried to seek refuge.

Rhodes will be eligible for parole in September 2045.

“No matter how long the sentence is, it will not bring back two beautiful people we have lost,” Ms Adams’ daughter said after the sentence.

Source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...w/news-story/244cd9847c24991b58d963ac4f7b2459

Justice Campbell said the crime wouldn’t have occurred without the psychosis which was induced by a cocktail of drugs.

Right, so the psychosis was to blame.
Caused by taking too many hard drugs.
Which was caused by...?

(I have taken ice and cannabis together many times, and never killed anyone. I did record some beautiful music, though.)

The drugs enabled him.

Maybe he didn't sleep a few days whilst on a meth binge.

Its an explanation but not an excuse.

Guess in instances like this, its pretty important to figure out what exactly caused this to happen and if drug induced would it happen again if the guy was totally rehabilitated off drugs?

If he was psychotic and not drug affected he would possibly be placed in the mental health system, declared criminally insane and never to be released.