• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Magnesium Supplement Question

Ok so even with one tablet containing 150 mg of magnesium is causing me bad side effects. Diarreah, gas, bloating. I can't do it anymore. I also get a gross metallic taste in my mouth.

So, I will be doing 3 - 2 hour infusions every month on 2% magnesium. I am hoping this will get me off of some of the medications I am on for my Fibromyalgia.

The first 2 infusions calmed my mind down, I was able to get off xanax. (yay) My axiety level seems to be controlled with the magnesium. *crosses fingers* hope this works and doesn't wreck my kidneys.

Thanks for all the great information guys.

I am going for my one of 3 infusions tomorrow... I can't wait for it, makes my muscles relax better than any muscle relaxer I have ever taken.

its almost certainly the binders in the pill causing it. You could PM notdeja she has a brand of magnesium that is allergen free. I tink (hehe) it may be called country life (or sometink like that?).

magnesium shouldnt cause you that much distress. Does it happen when you eat a couple apples (rich in mag)?

I take 1g before bedtime for the soporific effect

Ok guys just finished day one of three. I am sporting around a nice little butterly line going into my vein. I haven't experience any of the side effects that I normally do with the oral supplement.

*keep you fingers crossed that this continues to work*

I would jump for fucking joy to get off all my medications and just pump me up with magnesium.

whats the problem with getting magnesium from food? I dont understand the impulse to supplement when there are clearly options from whole foods.

Diet? What is it like?

Like Matsuo said, we take mag supps at night to help us sleep (I find it drastically relaxes my muscles and helps fight that "tossing and turning" thing) but in no way do I rely on that to give me the magnesium I need for my body. It's just extra.

A diet heavy in rich, leafy greens is best. Swiss Chard is high in mag. I'd be trying to eat a bundle or two of leafy greens a day if I were you. Steam some and eat some raw. I usually make big salads that are half steamed and half raw. Other veggies and fruit have a lot of magnesium as well.

-and yes, the completely allergen free brand of Magnesium supps we take are "Country Life Chelated Magnesium". It probably isn't the best form ever (oxide) but like I said, all I use it for is sleep, and with as much antioxidants as we eat I'm not too worried about it.

So with all this talk about which forms are good and which arent, can we get a list which ranks the commonly known forms of magnesium?

Im trying to find the best one to purchase to reduce jaw clenching. Also before sleep after big workouts sometimes too. Im currently using magnesium gluconate..I rate it useful - but im thinking there has to be something better out there.

Thanks for the info, Ill be trying to incorporate some of those foods into my diet.
I was, however, moreso referring to the effectiveness of the variety of supplements: gluconate, carbonate, citrate, glyconate, lactate dihydrate etc!

Too many choices!

Oh man hahaha sorry, I misread your post :D
I thought you said which FOODS are good and which aren't ;)

delta9 would be the guy to ask about which forms are better than others. In fact didn't he already specify which forms were good?
Best forms are Orotate and Malate.

Im trying to find the best one to purchase to reduce jaw clenching. Also before sleep after big workouts sometimes too. Im currently using magnesium gluconate..I rate it useful - but im thinking there has to be something better out there.

from what you've written, i believe Magnesium Taurate would be your perfect Mg++ supplement. i do not currently take it but when i did, i had no problems at all. biggest drawback is cost but in your case it may be well worth it.

whats the problem with getting magnesium from food? I dont understand the impulse to supplement when there are clearly options from whole foods.

Some people overprocess magnesium
at certain points in their lives,
get mad defficient.

Benzo withdrawal will do this.

Nothing wrong with a supplement.

MM said:
its almost certainly the binders in the pill causing it

This.

TINK,
I'd say you'd get lots less side effects from a powder,
that's what I was told + noticed none.

hi.. from what i know, the form of magnesium absorbed best is magnesum pidolate, the second is citrate (and others ending with "ate" i guess) then mg oxide and last hydroxide
but i cant find now the specific document i've read saying this

here are some other research papers i've read about this

http://www.cmellc.com/geriatrictimes/g020208.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC295344/pdf/jcinvest00061-0042.pdf

i use every day magnesium citrate and is quite effective, and cheap (pidolate is expansive)

for the side effects they may be if you have kidney problems

if you take too much magnesium you may have some drowsiness or diarrhea at worst, but we're talking about taking grams of magnesium here

Some people overprocess magnesium
at certain points in their lives,
get mad defficient.

Benzo withdrawal will do this.

Nothing wrong with a supplement.

This.

TINK,
I'd say you'd get lots less side effects from a powder,
that's what I was told + noticed none.

Hi,
Can you please explain what you mean by "benzo withdrawal will do this"? I am in year 4 of "protracted withdrawals" from 13mg of xanax and klonopin a day. It's been horiffic. Lately I've been having some good days and looking forward to a life again. But today my muscles are driving me crazy and the migraine is back.
An oxy taper isn't helping I guess.
I'm researching magnesium to buy and maybe I'll look for powder.

Oh, and my jaw is clentching today, I haven't had that in a while. I see others here have that too.

Thanks

i use every day magnesium citrate and is quite effective

Effective at doing what, exactly? What do you feel or notice when you take it? I've been taking magnesium hydroxide (which i notice you said was the least 'effective') for a while and noticed no difference in health or wellbeing. Taking any vitamin supplement has never done anything noticeable to my health or wellbeing. This could be obviously because I do eat quite alot of fruit/veg (but even when i wasnt, i noticed no difference) and/or im only 20. Who knows?

So I went in to get my infusion and they tested my magnesium levels and after being treated for like 2-3 months my levels are still low. I don't know what to do. If I take anymore I will have nasty side effects. Shit as it is I have to go get hooked up to an IV drip for 2 hours a day. Of course I find something that helps that my body does not embrace. I wonder what/why/how my body is not processing/keeping magnesium levels at a normal level.

Oh well, just add it to the list of medical issues I already have.

^
From the link above:

Magnesium

"
Magnesium levels in blood are very tightly controlled.

Of 19 subjects, all except 3 showed a rise in magnesium concentrations in plasma, though this was small in some cases.

The values before the first bath were, mean 104.68 ± 20.76 ppm/ml; after the first bath the mean was 114.08 ± 25.83
ppm/ml.

Continuation of bathing for 7 days in all except 2 individuals gave a rise to a mean of 140.98 ± 17.00ppm/ml.

Prolonged soaking in Epsom salts therefore increases blood magnesium concentrations.

Measurement of magnesium levels in urine showed a rise from the control level, mean 94.81 ± 44.26 ppm/ml to 198.93 ± 97.52 ppm/ml after the first bath.

Those individuals where the blood magnesium levels were not increased had correspondingly large increases in urinary magnesium showing that the magnesium ions had crossed the skin barrier and had been excreted via the kidney, presumably because the blood levels were already optimal.

Generally, urinary magnesium levels 24h after the first bath fell from the initial values found after day 1 (mean 118. 43 ± 51.95) suggesting some retention of magnesium in tissues after bathing as blood levels were still high.

Measurement of magnesium levels in urine 24h after the 7th bath gave values almost back to control levels.

...There was a wide individual variation in this parameter. However, all individuals had significant rises in plasma magnesium and sulfate at a level of 1% Epsom salts .This equates to 1g MgS04/100ml water; 600g Epsom salts/60 litres, the standard size UK bath taken in this project (~15 US gallons).

...Conclusion
Bathing in Epsom salts is a safe and easy way to increase sulfate and magnesium levels in the body."

__________________________________________________________________________________________

You could try this, TINK.

Do you have a bath?

The baths the testers took were only 12 minutes
+ only for a week.

^
Bathing in Epsom salts is a safe and easy way to increase sulfate and magnesium levels in the body."

__________________________________________________________________________________________

You could try this, TINK.

Do you have a bath?

The baths the testers took were only 12 minutes
+ only for a week.

I do take regular epson salt baths :/

Thanks for the input

Best forms are Orotate and Malate. There are hundreds of studies at this point which show the benefits of orotic acid, and the malate counterion is one of very few compounds that can chelate aluminun and remove it from the body.

BA is relatively high in both.

Aviod citrate and oxide at all costs.

Related reading :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16548135
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11794633
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11924127

I have read an article stating citrate as HIGH bioavailability.

http://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/abstract/1999/11000/meta_analysis_of_calcium_bioavailability__a.5.aspx

I've heard not to take it with calcium, as they fight over which one is going to be absorbed. Take an organic supplement, no additives, with a digestive enzyme capsule. Magnesium is good for many things, especially muscles.