View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Magic Mushrooms Growing Question

ForcePower8

Greenlighter
I was wondering if I were to buy some psilocybe cubensis spores if it would be conceivable/easy to use a mushroom grow kit intended for a different species of mushroom. A local gardening shop sells grow kits for white button mushrooms as well as a few other species. I was thinking it might be less dubious to order a "normal" mushroom grow kit and magic mushroom spores separately. I was just unsure if the kit could be used in the same way for cubes or if it wouldn't work. Any thoughts?

Not necessarily a good idea. Other species of mushrooms like white buttons may prefer other substrates, so the question is: what have they put in the kit and does it offer enough nutritional support for Psilocybe fungi?

That said: the chances are relatively good in this case. They are both saprotrophic fungi and chances are you are getting some compost-based material. In an ideal case, it is manure and misc bio compost, and this may even boost the shrooms more than standard substrate cakes.

^^ thoughts ;)

Cool, thank you for your thoughts! :)

NO need to be paranoid. I order grow kits and spores online once a year. Nobody cares. Just do what you want to do and don't be afraid...Paranoia is a residual hippie trip from the sixties. Nobody cares if you are growing mushrooms....

I don't want to say I never skirt the laws that are in my country rarely upheld / enforced when it doesn't involve victims of crimes, or gross excesses and unlawful business enterprise etc so in other words, I keep it quite harmless and even then, I've retired from a number of hobbies... but do you really want to encourage people breaking the law on a drug harm reduction forum? What I do is my business, I never tell people here to do the same - only what may be wise or not if they end up making their choice.

Thats not morally right at all whether odds of getting caught or penalties are big/severe or slim to nil - on principle because of those cases where it might end up a problem, and its not the kind of advice asked for.

As far as whether or not a grow kit for other mushrooms will work, as stated its largely dependent on the substrate. As far as legal stuff, I agree with the above. If I were the OP, and I was almost a decade ago (feels old, man), I would make my own substrate following the "PF Tek" online. I agree that ordering both can be kind of suspicious looking and if anyone were to come and question you, it kinda sounds like they would be right in assuming.

(Story time) It doesnt happen often but a website I use for something completely different once sold things used to make M80s. These were not sold as kits but they were listed on a similar buying page, with 100s of other chemicals mind you, when they got raided (fully 100% legit company, i ordered uranium from them recently *hint hint*) the ATF went looking for people with the main components to make M80s based on exactly what you are concerned about. Even though they werent doing anything illegal because of the idea that it allows for they were able to at the very least send a letter to everyone going "we know what your doing, stop now" and pursue those with bigger orders. I would not want to receive the letter if i were active in anything.

Just a thought :)

Be very discrete and don't bother ordering grow kits. The Shroomery website has all the info you need to grow cubensis.Get some spores, a used pressure cooker, and tell no one you are growing.It's not paranoia but just common sense to be quiet and discrete.The law and government don't want us to expand our consciousness, but to dull it with pharmaceuticals and booze.

Be very discrete and don't bother ordering grow kits. The Shroomery website has all the info you need to grow cubensis.Get some spores, a used pressure cooker, and tell no one you are growing.It's not paranoia but just common sense to be quiet and discrete.

This is a good point.

Op clearly stated he would order spores and buy the kit from a local gardening shop

Be very discrete and don't bother ordering grow kits. The Shroomery website has all the info you need to grow cubensis.Get some spores, a used pressure cooker, and tell no one you are growing.It's not paranoia but just common sense to be quiet and discrete.The law and government don't want us to expand our consciousness, but to dull it with pharmaceuticals and booze.

In Canada:
Yes, on all counts! Keep us dulled. (In Canada, though it was legal for 3 years in the 80's: great case, no more). The shoomery will help you with near all you need & need to know. YouTube has many good vids on method. Once you have the needed hardware, all legal, cheap, choose your grain medium rye/rice, wide mouth jars, grinder (rye), cooker....in Canada the last I spoke with a local well known expert, you can then separately obtain a syringe w/spores themselves not illegal here, in Canada, until engaged in the process OF Cultivation: illegal in Canada. (Grow kits. spores and mycelium legal, HERE prior to cultivation processing). Discrete, discrete, discrete. 20+ strains grow local but do not do what you cannot bet your life on.

Grow kits are a waste of time, the incredibly difficult thing if you're in the UK is finding people selling viable spore syringes. Almost all the UK suppliers sell bunk spores that will die off and stop growth within a few weeks. Good luck, if you're in the UK you'll need it.

my last grow I got grow bags which were similar to the pf method (rye grains and sterilized manure) from the number one auction website. I grew some fat SyZyGy cubes. I even had some that weighed 35g fresh!! (That's an eighth ounce mushroom dried!! A single mushroom!!)

You should really check out the shroomery if you have growing questions. It's a far better resource for growers than bluelight.

I was wondering if I were to buy some psilocybe cubensis spores if it would be conceivable/easy to use a mushroom grow kit intended for a different species of mushroom. A local gardening shop sells grow kits for white button mushrooms as well as a few other species. I was thinking it might be less dubious to order a "normal" mushroom grow kit and magic mushroom spores separately. I was just unsure if the kit could be used in the same way for cubes or if it wouldn't work. Any thoughts?

The first grow kit helped me. When my Golden Lab bit the top offmof my mycodome, I promptly bought another kit, and then started making my own kits.

Simple
~100l plastic tote with lod
-1 aquarium pimp w/tubing
-an oscillating space heater
-perlite
-Vermiculite

That’s the ‘kit’ I used when I grew my way to 1lb dried shrooms. 50, maybe 60 dollars tops for a barebones kit.
10-14 days for PF Tek cakes to germinate
10-28 days for mushrooms.

You might have a bit of trouble growing Cyanescens but Cubensis should be easy peasy. Ask away if help needed. My first grow from start to eating mushrooms was 35 days. It varies after that depending on what kind of mycelium you’re using (or liquid culture).

Tom