View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

lysergic acid ethylamide

embryo923

Bluelighter
I found this in the MK Ultra documents released by FOIA, you can google MK Ultra if you don't know what that is...it was a bunch of CIA experiments in the 60s.

Wondering if anyone who knows anything about chemistry can tell me if this is a psychedelic drug, and what it would be like?

qrlrtl.jpg

As you can read, it is supposed to be sort of psychedelic but causes a sort of state of weakness and an apparently blanked out mind, which sounds like a dissociative effect. Not classical NMDA antagonistic dissociative, but atypical (many psychedelics have varying potentials for dissociative effects which can come in a lot of shapes and sizes).
When they say schizophrenia-like effects I'd read that as psychedelic since they considered that psychotomimetic at the time (psychosis-like). Although there are commonalities, there is more nuance now and this terminology has fallen out of grace.

As expected LAE is quite a bit less potent than LSD but still surprisingly effective I must say. Based on the structure I wouldn't have given it much credit.
However lysergamides must be quite potent to be economically justified to make (apart from the 'fact' that this substance doesn't sound promising to manufacture based on the description). On the other hand, I think a chemist wouldn't have to go far out of his way to make this, if he's already making acid.

Who could tell what it is really like though.. there isn't enough information here to go on, this report isn't even first hand. And even with first hand reports, you can read very many and still won't be able to imagine properly what it is like.
I will say that you have to consider that this was written in a different time from the perspective of probably some government agent (even if one with a medical degree), so some things might be described in quite horrible terms but to us they might refer to desirable effects. Plenty of dissociatives with following could be described as lobotomizing or in really terrible ways, how it completely screws your cognition. To others it is fun or interesting or [fill in].

The funny thing is that it's hard to imagine that LAE has another main pharmacological target than the same 5-HT2a receptor which is the target of LSD... so it would be surprising if this material had effects unheard of with other psychedelics. The only explanation I could think of is functional selectivity. LSD does very unusual things to 5-HT2a anyway, getting stuck with that diethylamide for a long time. Who knows what actually happens with only one of those amide ethyl antlers...
FYI, compounds like the LSAs in morning glory seeds have weaker effects on this receptor too.. however some of its effects are basically unrelated side-effects on other receptors. It's not simply 5-HT2a related vasoconstriction, it's pharmacologically dirty stuff and it does have something to do with the higher dosages needed.

About this document: they are really nice guys to experiment with this on "some psychotics" tho.

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAE-32

154px-LAE-32.svg.png

Last edited: