• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

LSD Turning bright red in Ehrlich (EZtest)?

sadmachine

Bluelighter
In the past i've always used EZtests on my tabs and always gotten a clearly purple response.

I have two different tabs from different sheets, through the same source, and after 20 mins both of them have turned bright red (for the Americans out there think red kool aid colour)

Now the test kit seems to mention a spectrum from light pink all the way to purple which includes red, but these are such a prominent red I thought i'd ask your guys opinion first.

The ehrlich reagent will react if there is an indole present, and it won't react if there is no indole, which is what matters for testing LSD blotter.
The reaction can vary within quite a wide spectrum and red is certainly possible from the indole-dimer that it forms. Therefore I would consider this a positive reaction with the ehrlich reagent, showing that an indole is present.

Generally you would want to test with the marquis reagent also, to ensure there are no substances present that ehrlich can't detect (such as NBOMe or DOB).

Idk I’m of the camp if ever there’s a strong change up from what I usually see, it’s often not a good indicator.

Maybe try some (carefully!) and report back on your findings.

Reminds me of the time I saw a batch of MDMA that tested almost normal on the Marquis but more of a maroon red color. Stuff was absolutely garbage. Most people would’ve thought it was a positive result but upon tasting it, na…

-GC

The ehrlich reagent will react if there is an indole present, and it won't react if there is no indole, which is what matters for testing LSD blotter.
The reaction can vary within quite a wide spectrum and red is certainly possible from the indole-dimer that it forms. Therefore I would consider this a positive reaction with the ehrlich reagent, showing that an indole is present.

Generally you would want to test with the marquis reagent also, to ensure there are no substances present that ehrlich can't detect (such as NBOMe or DOB).
Thanks for your response, so if the Marquis reagent can detect nbome and dox (the stuff I'm trying to avoid) would it be better in the future to skip the Ehrlich entirely and do a Marquis only?

Thanks for your response, so if the Marquis reagent can detect nbome and dox (the stuff I'm trying to avoid) would it be better in the future to skip the Ehrlich entirely and do a Marquis only?
No. The more reagents the better because you can cross check. And if its sold as LSD, definitley use the ehrlich.

You might get a better result dropping a few drops of isopropyl alcohol onto blotter, stirring it with a toothpick, removing the actual blotter, let the few drops of alcohol and test the residue. That way you can be your reagent isnt reacting with inks or paper..

I would not eat any LSD that didn't test purple/lavender

Cheers, I'll look into getting a Marquis Kit, coming in a bottle seems pretty appealing rather than the one and done ehrlich vials i've been buying.

Tried 1 tab and had a pretty mild but short lived trip (6hrs) (did take a low dose benzo beforehand so probably why)

Tried 1 & 1/2 tabs with 0 benzo's a week later and had one of the most intense, best trips ever. The only thing out of the ordinary was up until the peak was over I had some really intense muscle twitches in my thighs, particularly when I sat down. I had taken a multivitamin that morning which contains 100mg of magnesium so I thought that was a bit odd. I'll definitely wait until the Marquis arrives before I try a stronger dose.

I keep rewatching the video I took of the Ehrlich test and although it's blurry it really does look bright red at parts.

In the past i've always used EZtests on my tabs and always gotten a clearly purple response.

I have two different tabs from different sheets, through the same source, and after 20 mins both of them have turned bright red (for the Americans out there think red kool aid colour)

Now the test kit seems to mention a spectrum from light pink all the way to purple which includes red, but these are such a prominent red I thought i'd ask your guys opinion first.
Bright Red as a result with Ehrlich means

DMT according to

Which kind of matches the duration of your short lived trip, and the muscle twitching. (DMT can elicit muscle spasms/twitches and overactive reflexes)

To use the link all you do is have to pick the test from the drop down menu and then you can hit multiple colors if there were multiple colors during the reaction or you can just hit one color or you can hit no result and then actually touch the substance and it will show you all of the results for all reagents that they used to test that compound.

Last edited:
Surely it couldn't be DMT right? I would have never thought that it could be put onto a tab?

And DMT needs to be smoked.

Yeah I should have said it's more likely some sort of substituted tryptamine because turning red is indicative of the tryptamine structure DIPT, DMT, 5-IT, tryptophan (They all turned bright red or violet-red) It might be because they have a naked indole without anything hanging off the benzene ring, and they're primary or tertiary amines.

What's strange is just plain old tryptamine turns purple.

The Ergolide structure of LSD turns purple, as do almost all of the methoxy and alkyl substituted tryptamines.

The database that I'm using doesn't have a lot of information for the newer substituted LSD derivatives like ALD-52, etc. says no color change but I think that may not be accurate.

I don't know. Perhaps it's a weird derivative of LSD that has an exposed indole with a primary or tertiary amine hanging off.

David Nichols came up with some LSD mimicking psychedelic substituted tryptamines that are down near the milligram active dose.

Maybe someone came up with a compound active at blotter paper dosage.

Last edited:
It’s not DMT.. 1. Nowhere near active dose. 2. No MAOI. 3. 6hr duration.

-GC
I did see that 1cP-LSD has a cyclopropane aryl group hanging off the N of the indole.

I'm trying to find some literature that explains how para-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde (the compound in Ehrlich's reagent) would bind to a compound and produce a red color. I understand. Violet /blue and yellow but it's not clear what specifically causes red.

I have a suspicion that the cyclopropane group hanging off the indole might lead to a red color. I think the cyclopropane aryl group hanging off of the nitrogen would prevent the Ehrlich reagent from attacking the C2 carbon. (I think it literally gets in the way)

There are reports that 1-cP causes muscle twitching and can be a stronger and more vibrant trip than acid.

I can't find any test data other than no change which I don't have confidence in.

Tried it again yesterday, had a very unique experience and easily the best trip of my entire life and really wanted to share my experience;

Dosed 1 and 1/2 tabs again, had taken 2mg of clonazepam throughout the previous day and the day before that i'd taken a solid mdma dose as well.

I'm now inclined to believe the muscle twitching was a result of come up anxiety on that particularly trip, which is peculiar because in 15 odd years of dabbling 3-4 times a year, I've never experienced any real "comeup anxiety" from any psychs or even mdma for that matter (never got nausea from opioids either, lucky me). I have had muscle twitching during times of severe anxiety in general day-to-day life though and on the comeup of that particular trip I was quite anxious in general. Moving on...

Again the trip did only last 6 hours, and I know visuals aren't exactly a great reference point for what drug you've taken but I do notice one particular visual effect that I have never gotten before from any tab and that is very noticeable afterimages/tracers when I would move my hands. Fun stuff. I'm usually prone to the walls "breathing" which was totally absent in all 3 trips but again, visuals are visuals and I know they don't really tell us anything. Just wanted to share my experience

Typically, and in the two prior trips, after the 6 hours ends i'm confused, exhausted, mentally all over the place and couldn't fathom watching a favourite show or the likes. This particular trip, I felt invigorated and extremely intense euphoria. I had 9 hours of excellent benzo sleep the night before and some really amazing dreams, and during the peak of the trip I felt reconnected to those dreams, it was quite an experience. At around the 6 hour mark when the visuals had ceased, I cooked an ate a delicious meal and watched 2-3 different tv shows; it felt like there was not a wrong choice of show/song/movie and had there been more hours in the day I would have watched them all!.

After the trip had died down, I wanted to consume all my favourite media that had ever struck an emotional chord in me. Usually at this point in any pysch trip I'm quite all over the place and can't really quite enjoy anything I typically would. And the entire time I had this prevailing feeling of a "lust for life" that lingered on even after I put myself to sleep with a 2mg clonazepam and even today 20+ hours since I dropped the tab. I usually keep a good fitness/diet/sleep schedule and try to frequently see my friends and pursue good social experiences but I just feel so invigorated to pursue these things and not fall into a slump of laziness. Sorry for the wall of text, but a truly standout trip and I couldn't help but share the positivity.

Now back to the nitty gritty; snmfy cheers I really appreciate your speculation, I might do some reading into 1-cP-LSD. My holiday season is almost over and I probably won't touch any more psychs for a very long time, but I would really love to know what the hell I've got my hands on here. I might stock up on a few tabs and test them with some different reagents; which would you recommend? Also I live in Australia, is there some sort drug ID institution like WENDINOS here that I could send it in too? I've heard there is one for opiates but not sure...

I have my doubts that it was the ink/blotter causing the bright red reaction as a friend donated half of one of his tabs from the same guy (different blotter art) and it also reacted bright red. Finally, I should upload what the damn red looked like so here it is! Sorry for the shoddy quality,

420213622-446577204555259-1768809719888064084-n.jpg

Tried it again yesterday, had a very unique experience and easily the best trip of my entire life and really wanted to share my experience;

Dosed 1 and 1/2 tabs again, had taken 2mg of clonazepam throughout the previous day and the day before that i'd taken a solid mdma dose as well.

I'm now inclined to believe the muscle twitching was a result of come up anxiety on that particularly trip, which is peculiar because in 15 odd years of dabbling 3-4 times a year, I've never experienced any real "comeup anxiety" from any psychs or even mdma for that matter (never got nausea from opioids either, lucky me). I have had muscle twitching during times of severe anxiety in general day-to-day life though and on the comeup of that particular trip I was quite anxious in general. Moving on...

Again the trip did only last 6 hours, and I know visuals aren't exactly a great reference point for what drug you've taken but I do notice one particular visual effect that I have never gotten before from any tab and that is very noticeable afterimages/tracers when I would move my hands. Fun stuff. I'm usually prone to the walls "breathing" which was totally absent in all 3 trips but again, visuals are visuals and I know they don't really tell us anything. Just wanted to share my experience

Typically, and in the two prior trips, after the 6 hours ends i'm confused, exhausted, mentally all over the place and couldn't fathom watching a favourite show or the likes. This particular trip, I felt invigorated and extremely intense euphoria. I had 9 hours of excellent benzo sleep the night before and some really amazing dreams, and during the peak of the trip I felt reconnected to those dreams, it was quite an experience. At around the 6 hour mark when the visuals had ceased, I cooked an ate a delicious meal and watched 2-3 different tv shows; it felt like there was not a wrong choice of show/song/movie and had there been more hours in the day I would have watched them all!.

After the trip had died down, I wanted to consume all my favourite media that had ever struck an emotional chord in me. Usually at this point in any pysch trip I'm quite all over the place and can't really quite enjoy anything I typically would. And the entire time I had this prevailing feeling of a "lust for life" that lingered on even after I put myself to sleep with a 2mg clonazepam and even today 20+ hours since I dropped the tab. I usually keep a good fitness/diet/sleep schedule and try to frequently see my friends and pursue good social experiences but I just feel so invigorated to pursue these things and not fall into a slump of laziness. Sorry for the wall of text, but a truly standout trip and I couldn't help but share the positivity.

Now back to the nitty gritty; snmfy cheers I really appreciate your speculation, I might do some reading into 1-cP-LSD. My holiday season is almost over and I probably won't touch any more psychs for a very long time, but I would really love to know what the hell I've got my hands on here. I might stock up on a few tabs and test them with some different reagents; which would you recommend? Also I live in Australia, is there some sort drug ID institution like WENDINOS here that I could send it in too? I've heard there is one for opiates but not sure...

I have my doubts that it was the ink/blotter causing the bright red reaction as a friend donated half of one of his tabs from the same guy (different blotter art) and it also reacted bright red. Finally, I should upload what the damn red looked like so here it is! Sorry for the shoddy quality,

420213622-446577204555259-1768809719888064084-n.jpg
I think that might be called magenta or maybe fuchsia and it's interesting that sawa methylated triphenyl compound is called fuschine that is violet/fuchsia.

I think the cyclopropyl group with its three carbon configuration could form a triphenyl compound that may be that color.

Perhaps some of the people in the forum that have more experience in organic chemistry could look at what would happen when para-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde would react with the cyclopropyl group on 1cP-LSD

A lil off topic but the last 3 erlich kits I bought... the reagent legit turned yellow in the bottle and that makes it impossible to use .... the first bottle I got lasted like 2 years and never turned yellow... same company same storage area shit turns yellow in like a week

A lil off topic but the last 3 erlich kits I bought... the reagent legit turned yellow in the bottle and that makes it impossible to use .... the first bottle I got lasted like 2 years and never turned yellow... same company same storage area shit turns yellow in like a week
The quality of the original ingredients can really make a difference on shelf life, ie tiny bits of impurities are oxidizing over time is my guess. Maybe the company got a less than pure batch of DMAB. The only other components are ethanol and hydrochloric acid, which are relatively easy to obtain as pure compounds.

That color is a bit odd tho. I have always seen a lavender, not a magenta.