View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD for someone on methadone ???

StudebakerHawk

Bluelighter
Hi , wondering if I might be able to obtain some advice from folk wiser than I on this matter ...

A mate of mine is on a methadone maintenance program , taking I understand 30 mg daily .

He has gotten this notion into his head that psychedelics , in particular LSD , may help him work through his issues and eventually help him break his methadone addiction . [ He has had previous psychedelic experience in the distant past , before acquiring the opiate problems ] .
While I have been hesitant and needing to consider all aspects carefully , my friend is becoming more insistent that I help him out and to facilitate this ..... which I am somewhat very reluctant to do for several reasons including the following :

I am not a therapist , nor do I have any such experience whatsoever . I would not know how to cope with a possible emotional meltdown , or bad trip apart from dosing with a benzo .

I suspect that the methadone will seriously inhibit the acid , and a higher dosage quite possibly would be required . I have no idea , however , of what that dosage might be .

The more I think about this , the less I want to be involved ; and I really do not want to babysit on this one .... I am not at all convinced that it is a good idea , unlike my friend .
I feel a degree of pressure to help him out ; perhaps even trip with him at home over a weekend . Again , unsure of the wisdom of this entire idea .

As I mentioned earlier , he has had previous tripping experience ... I am tempted to cop out - perhaps scoring for him a few blotters , and providing a few benzos should he need them , and letting him work things out on his own , alone , at home .... but again , there are aspects to consider - would this be wise , and the best way to deal with this matter ?

I must admit that I am in a quandary , not knowing what to do at all .
Any advice is much appreciated , and thank you in advance for any suggestions and for reading this .

If you're getting him the LSD then sit with him during the experience, he is your friend after all.

I wish I had more real experience in what he is planning on doing. The only experience I have is I am tripping way more often now that i am coming off methadone. My first trip after becoming a heroin addict was on 20mg of methadone and was an 1/8 of mushrooms, I absolutely loved it. But thats largely because now i have my life in order and if i reflect upon myself i have nothing to be upset about, I already know i am clean (wednesday marks 0 day for me, no more clinic after that) so its completely different. I avoided the fact i absolutely love acid and psychedelics when my future was uncertain because a bad trip while an addict struggling with the idea of staying clean can be a bad thing.

I fully understand what he wants to do its just like you said a little risky. I second the idea with you being there if possible, it really can go either way. I am happy i waited because now that im off methadone and all hard drugs i have a scene i left behind about 4 years ago to return to and love once again.

James Fadiman wrote a great book called "the psychedelic explores guide" that gives one of the best how to's for facilitating a session. Not sure if you want to go as far as reading a book on the subject, but it's good life advice too. Your role as a facilitator is to get out of the way. You don't have to make anything happen except be supportive to set and setting. The trip does all the work for you. You may find the whole thing satisfying and a learning experience.

People with large opiate habits may require a higher dose of LSD than people who aren't addicted to narcotics, but they will still be able to trip.
I have never taken methadone, but i believe 30mg is on the lower end of the ORT scale? Please correct me if i'm wrong about that.
I was a junkie for years, and i tripped all the time. I don't think it really makes a huge difference dosage-wise, unless someone is really stoned on opiates. I would dose them normally and see what happens, if you choose to at all.

I would say though - if you are feeling compelled to do this against your will, maybe you should listen to your gut instinct?

What is it about your friend that makes you think this is a bad idea?

Than you all for sound advice .
Yes , with hindsight , I do agree that I should be present as things can indeed go awry . If it does eventuate , I so hope that it goes well for him . And yes , we are long time mates , and should indeed look out for one another .
Thanks .