View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and chronic depression

usual-suspect

Bluelighter
So my friend is diagnosed with Chronic depression. Won’t give many details, but he's desperate, a severe case on tons of prescription drugs with all kind of side effects.

Today he's taken a fair dise of LSD, the guy is right now trippin off his balls, with cosmic themed visuals and a great feeling of relief, I am glad he doesn’t seem to have a bad trip. He’s been 2/3 hours trippin and so far he's fine

Last edited:
You or your friend supposedly took 130ug of LSD, not 130mg.

If you are depressed or anxious, do not trip on acid or mushrooms. The drugs will make things 1,000x worse. I have seen this happen to friends. Exercise, meditation, and eating correctly is more helpful.

Yes, sorry, it's 130 ug

You are right, Actually he's back from the trip now and he says the depressive thoughts are there again, as always. So, besides the temporay distraction, no improvements

Last edited:
Depression and LSD is fine and even anxiety. LSD clears this up while on a trip. LSD won't cure depression though. Your friend should not double dose next sunday aswell. LSD has a extreme exponential curve in dosage and 260 ug will flatten him not for a new comer to psychedelics and way more intense than eating like 5 dried grams of shrooms. If he wants to increase he first should get use to handling this 130 ug dosage and then slowly increase the dosage going no further than a maximum 50 ug increase at a time. every 50 ug is a doubling in strength almost and adds a new level of tripping.

What he had was pure LSD. LSD is way different to mushrooms.

If he responded so well to a full trip while having treatment resistant depression, I wonder whether microdosing might be something worth considering to improve his mental health. There is not much peer-reviewed science to point to on this, but plenty of anecdotal evidence suggests that sub-tripping doses (eg around 10ug) can be beneficial both as a nootropic and to relieve depression and anxiety. As someone above pointed out though, things can always go the other way with LSD.

if he is on a drug regime, and if he got a trip from 130 and liked it,
I would avoid disrupting his medication with microdosing that does not mix.
wait a month or 6 weeks and re do the 130ug cid thing.

just because a big dose works does not mean a small one will as well - it's like a different medicine completely from when you feel slightly tense and slightly nauseated for 5hrs while microdosing every other day or so.

by all means if he is weaned off the psych drugs, then yes try microdosing to optimize life.

Well, he was quite happy about the whole trip. I was surprised he handled so well,

Last edited:
frustrated people sometimes try to take others hostage.

set your boundaries, if you don't want to sit for his full dose, tell him your limit is he takes half. whatever.
you are allowed to decide for yourself.

the suicide drama, suggests to me that he craves an audience and the lack of it is tangled up in his depression, he needs a psychotherapist mediated mushroom session, not a friend-whom he can victimize as a sitter.

Yes, definitely there's some of that. Everybody wants attention and I guess the more you are frustrated and thinking the world owes you, the more you can be tempted to manipulate the few people who cares about you.

if he is on a drug regime, and if he got a trip from 130 and liked it,
I would avoid disrupting his medication with microdosing that does not mix.
wait a month or 6 weeks and re do the 130ug cid thing.

just because a big dose works does not mean a small one will as well - it's like a different medicine completely from when you feel slightly tense and slightly nauseated for 5hrs while microdosing every other day or so.

by all means if he is weaned off the psych drugs, then yes try microdosing to optimize life.
Well, he was quite happy about the whole trip. I was surprised he handled so well, but that doesn't mean is going to be always rosy... But the guy repeated that hasn't feel so good in many many years. Of course when the trip was over he was back into the depression, but looks that at least he's not worse.

The guy is quite stubborn, very intelligent and has a lot of willpower, despite the illness.... I told him about microdosing, or trying other substance, but no way, he wants LSD and wants the strongest trip. He was complaining that 130 wasn't enough and that should have taken the whole tab.

I am talking about a quite severe case, suicide impulse, self-wounded and and taken to a mental institution a couple of times. Basically not finding purpose on life anymore, disabled to work and just the family holding him from jumping off the roof. He doesn't think he has a cure and all he says is in total denial of psychiatry (but he obeys the doctors and takes the medications, does some exercise, cares about how he looks, etc.) Might be ha still has some hope and he thinks that these trips can improve something, or at least have a window that he can open and forget for a few hours his situation.

So now I find he's quite decided to take the whole tab, and I'll have to be around keeping an eye on the phone just in case something happens, hope it doesn't. At least this time seemed quite under control of the situation

If your friend or you are extremely suicidal like this, tripping on LSD or mushrooms is the last thing you or they should be doing.

Logically speaking yeah -- because psychedelics opens locked doors and so you will receive a new way of looking at the world -- you will balance the Yin-Yang.

Yes... I don't know how all this will end. Spoke with the guy about delaying the next trip, o not doubling the dose, but nothing.

Last edited:
Quite the pickle you are in... Do you have LSD experience yourself?
Maybe your friend doesn't want to explain himself too much as he knows himself and his previous trip on it much better.

All is good so far, the guy has been tripping almost 7 hours already (250 ug) I think he's starting to come back

He's really enjoying this

Phew

Last edited:
@usual-suspect keep talking to him and check in periodically over the next weeks/months.
Working with depression takes time - be patient and listen - encourage.

Now that he’s had a full dose or two, he can always mentally visit or peek into that realm; if it was a friendly place to him, recollections can be emotionally moving and quite effective.

And keep us posted - we all know someone, or ourselves, who suffer this way and can at least listen and be supportive.

Will keep track of this, I don't think this will cure him at all, but at least I hope is helpful somehow, he's not going to use more lsd in a long time. Will see if there's any positive change in the next weeks.

Last edited:
So... Nothing else happened.

I can't really tell if is he's better after the experience, but definitely he has improved some aspects of the depression

Last edited:
@usual-suspect, so this means a person on lots of psych meds can trip on a double or triple dose of acid?

Do you think his appreciation of lsd might be worked into motivation to wean from prescrips and start microdosing or weekend lsd therapy???

He did, I think he skipped the meds just the day of the trip

He was quite sceptical of micro-dosing, don't know why, but maybe the trips changed his mind.