• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Lowering opioid tolerance, is it possible?

Tyasya64

Greenlighter
So im starting to take a looong break from my fav drug of choice (vicodin) and ive read all these posts about if you can or cannot lower your tolerance.
This is for real confusing me because in some, people say once its there its there to stay (i hope not) and others say you just have to take a reaaaaaaalyy long break from use (like one year.)
So what? Is my 80mg tolerance just going to stay and get higher or will my 6month-year break really drop it? And about how much will my tolerance drop?

I found a 6 month break did lower my tolerance considerably, unfortunately it seems that it raises very quickly when I start back up. Same goes for addiction/withdrawal symptoms. Once you've been addicted or heavily abused opiates it seems that all the bad parts associated with opiate abuse come back very quickly, it took several months of daily abuse before I started experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms when I first started using, these days I'll get symptoms after only a couple of days use. It's still a good idea to take a break though.

^^ I took an 8 year break and it took about a month to be back to where I was.
anecdotal evidence for what it is worth.
Physiological tolerance will dissipate with discontinued use but expectation and memory also play a role. It's just never the same lol

IME, the first few uses after a long break feel great but it quickly becomes habitual and the euphoria diminishes greatly.
of course ROA and other opioids could come in to play but if we're talking strictly oral hydrocodone, then that was my experience.

I find that you can potentiate. I do not take cimetidine or any cpy inhibitor as hydro relies on cpy2d6 (I believe) for conversion to hydromorphone. I'm rusty on this so don't quote me.

I have found that DXM is the best. I'm sure other/better NMDA antagonists would provide even better potentiation or tolerance reduction. Though with dxm be otc and all...

30-60mg within 60 minutes prior to opioid dose boosts effects quite a bit imo. This allows you to cut the dose back and conserve while still getting positive effects.
can feel a bit speedy on the come up, not unlike tramadol.

empty stomach is essential when dosing. Eat at least 60 minutes after dosing and do not eat at least 120 minutes prior to dosing.

tums are helpful. they Balance the pH of the stomach. Less acidic allows more time for the compounds to break down and absorb.

my routine is usually 30mg dxm followed by some tums. they mask that gross syrup taste
30 mins later take opioid.
I try to rotate dxm days so as to not always be ingesting that stuff.

be safe

Last edited:
I kind of liken it to riding a bike, the first time you try riding it takes awhile for the body to learn balance and become proficient at riding. However once you take a break from it, might take a bit to get the hang of it again but nothing like the first time. Currently Im on day 9 of a break because my tolerance was way to high, bit of a rough ride, but tomorrow I plan on jumping back and will keep going til the tolerance builds about 2 weeks.

When I was using heroin everyday it would take smoking 500mg of brown to get goofed if I went a few days without 100mg would do the same