• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lowering Ativan Tolerance

LynnD

Greenlighter
Ok, I rarely take Ativan now and when I do take it I usually take 6 mg in order to feel anything (I have a naturally high tolerance to drugs due to a brain injury I had since birth). I have been taking 6 mg since 2010 - in 2008, I took 3 mg, and in 2009, I took 4 mg, then jumped to 6 mg and after that it stayed at 6 mg, even though I don't do any other drugs or drink alcohol nor smoke.

I was prescribed Clonazepam (for anxiety) by my doctor for a while but I found it gave me side effects I did not like - I found it made me angry, I gained weight, and it made my acne worse even though I wasn't eating anything to cause the acne or cause me to gain weight. I discovered that less than 1% of people who take Clonazepam can develop acne and gain weight and I ended up falling into that less than 1%. I also found out that people can feel angry or "irritable" while taking Clonazepam.

I have decided to stop taking the Clonazepam; tonight I took 6 mg of Ativan and felt nothing. I plan on abstaining for 145 days before I take any benzodiazepines again and, when I do, it will be Ativan, and it will be 3 mg for a dental appointment I have on August 30, 2018.

There is no risk of me having a Grand-Mal Seizure by quitting cold turkey, since I am already on anti-seizure medication that is not cross-tolerant with benzodiazepines.

I also can't take either Xanax or Valium because both made me sick at the lowest dose - my doctors classified me as "drug sensitive".

If I abstain from benzodiazepines for 145 days then take the dose I originally started with (3 mg of Ativan) once those 145 days are up, should the dose work? I have an extra 1 mg pill in case it doesn't work.

Possibly. None of us can say how your tolerance might change over 5 months, but you'd expect it to diminish. Having said that, since you're on other medication that you haven't mentioned, and since you're an outlier anyway, that's bound to complicate the issue.

Yeah, your tolerance should lower in the 145 days. Im guessing since its so long, you should be pretty much be "reset". Going back to no tolerance. I did the same thing with opiates (mine was only a month though) and it was like starting over with no tolerance.

What do you mean by "outlier"?

As you say...

I have a naturally high tolerance to drugs due to a brain injury I had since birth

I was prescribed Clonazepam (for anxiety) by my doctor for a while but I found it gave me side effects I did not like - I found it made me angry, I gained weight, and it made my acne worse even though I wasn't eating anything to cause the acne or cause me to gain weight. I discovered that less than 1% of people...