• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🍳 Cooking 🍳 Low carb diets

Can you give us a typical range of foods that you consume?

Sure :) - Typically lots of meat, seafood, cheese, eggs, low carb veggies (lettuce, celery, capsicum, etc), low carb condiments with pork crackles, peanuts, cashews, etc as snacks.

I try to steer clear of the artificially sweetened foods, as I found that some of them slowed or halted my weight loss - and over indulgence can have a laxative effect :\. See http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html for a good explanation of why this may be (certain artificial sweeteners are not non-nutritive as they claim).

I don't like all of this low carb talk (people are talking about it everywhere lately and it's annoying IMO)..I dunno..I think people NEED carbs...people need energy, they just shouldn't eat more than they burn...it's really that simple. I would die if I couldn't eat my fettuchini pasta...not to mention bread..wtf?! I think the focus should be on more exciercise before cutting out an entire category of food.
That said, I've always been thin and able to eat whatever I want...so if someone has a real weight problem, I think they should try whatever they can, and whatever works for them.

MynameisnotDeja - You don't cut out carbs completely (Doing so would be dangerous - your brain needs a small amount of carbs to function). You limit yourself to 20 grams a day initially, and you increase that by 5g/day per week until your weight loss ceases (this is your personal Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium). You then raise or lower your carb consumtion based on whether you want to lose, gain or maintain weight.

As for needing energy - you can burn carbohydrates, fat or protein for energy (roughly 4 calories per gram of carbs or protein, and 9 calories per gram of fat). (Why else do you think your body STORES fat?).

As a bodybuilder: NOTE: your body never utilizes one single source of energy. Its always a mix of stomach contents, blood sugar and bodyfat. For optimal weight loss, the most effective bodyfat loss comes from extended cardio sessions. Its said that you really dont start burning bodyfat up unt8il after 20 minutes of vig excersize. I weight train 40 minutes then do 60 minutes of cardio per day.

Theres just guidelines to better eating.

Breakfast: A)High protein (ur body processes protein better the first half of the day) B) Complex carbs (frosted miniwheats qualifies)C)Low fat- OR -Eggs (throw out half the yolks) and ham and bread

snack: fruits

Lunch: heres where you insert any fat intake, aim for not excessive fat duh!
Some protein since your not a bodybuilder and more carbs.

Snack: Tuna sandwich with light bread (wow I just recently found 30calorie slices!) and light mayo

Dinner: Again protein and go low fat and easy on the carbs.

Basically you want to eat depending on what ur about to do not what you just did. By keeping each meal small and calorie defficient in the daily sum of all meals, you should expend more than you intake. creating a calorie defficiency. If your not into gym traiinng, keep protein intake to 1 gram per kilo. If you want to train for muscle tone go for 1 gram per pound. Carb free diets usually crash and are consiered unhealthy. I once felt like shit after 3 days of no carbs.

Well, in the spirit of "protein is good for you" could anyone suggest some good sources of protein? When I think protein I just think of meat. And I don't like any meat except chicken and I'm certainly not going to eat chicken for breakfast lol.

I like protein bars (especially Luna bars by Cliff mmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm) but they are expensive and well, I'm poor at the moment :\

PassMeTheVicks- The first three days fo LOW carb (not no carb) are fairly hard - you are going cold turkey giving up sugar, caffeine, etc.

Atkins is not a crash diet - it is a life long nutritional approach. You do not do it to lose weight, and then go back to your normal eating. Doing so would simply launch you straight back into the bad eating habits that got you fat in the first place.

sg:
protein: eggs, tuna, lots of the morningstar farms stuff, beans, yogurt

I'm a diabetic and tried the Adkins diet and ended up in the hospital with ketoacidosis. Not a good idea with diabetes. I figured it would be, because it no carbs, no sugar, and high protiens. WRONG! The idea is exercise and watch what your putting in your mouth

I've been a Personal Trainer for a few years now. And I can tell you one thing: NOT one of my fellow trainers that I've worked with over the years, including myself, have ever put ANY of our clients on a low carb diet. (Except for those that are diabetic.)
Your daily diet should consist of NO LESS THAN 55% Carbs up to 65% (unless you are "carb loading"--that's mostly for marathon runners)

Every major Training association, group, etc (including Bally's & 24hour Fitness, both of which I have worked for, as well as all the major Personal Training organizations, like ACE and NASM, which I am certified by both, as well as ACSM--viewed by most as the number one Training & fitness organization in the country) Any and ALL of these will tell you what I have told you. Just go to your local library or bookstore and look it up.

IT IS UNHEALTHY, period.

ravbutterfly- ketoacidosis is NOT caused by Atkins. On Atkins you enter Ketosis (not ketoacidosis), which is the process of the body primarily burning fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. "Ketoacidosis is a condition found in Type I diabetics; this occurs when a person's blood sugar is out of control and he or she cannot produce insulin". ( see http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/18-590441.html )

JBizzle - It is NOT unhealthy. You are being taught by people that are locked into the old ways of thinking. They are closed minded and wrong. It MAY not SUIT everybody (ie athletes with extreme energy needs, etc) - and that isn't something I have researched as I am not an athlete - but it definately is NOT unhealty.

JBizzle - Careful what you choose to declare unhealthy. I'm fairly confident that as a trained and certified personal trainer you've been taught and tested on a great deal of pre-existing information, but you really aren't qualified to evaluate the relative unhealthiness of a particular dietary technique.

Or am I addressing Dr. JBizzle?

I would never listen to anybody who told me to load up on carbs...

sorry, but im not going to listen to a personal trainer before a doctor!

One of our managers at work is also a national soccer coach who's been on the diet himself - he consulted with a doctor before going down this track and was given the all clear - that it, it will bear no ill consequence to his health.

Also, for matter of argument - the person who put him onto the diet was the clubs dietician.

I'm giving this a go - will keep ya's updated :)

randycaver said:

Wrong. Theres situations or circumstances that call for carb loading. for example right after your workout you need to replenish msucle and liver glycogen for tomorrow's or next week energy stores.

You can tell me that, but I won't listen =D I TAKE IN CARBS.

I'm not going to take in more than I already do. I already take in too much.

randycaver said:

From: NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) (www.NASM.org)

"-Carb Loading: Endurance events lasting longer than 90 minutes depletes muscle-glycogen (carbohydrate) stores.
-Carbohydrate loading is used to increase muscle-glycogen stores prior to competition.
-start card loading 6 days prior to competition."

I'm sorry I wrote so much guys. PLEASE, PLEASE read what I have quoted from many different sources. I truly care about people and their health and I don't want to see any of you BL'ers or your friends doing more damage to your body's than you already are. You guys are awesome!!! If you have any questions I'd love to answer them. As always: PLUR baby PLUR!!!! =D =D

As far as LOW CARB DIETS GO:

From: GSSI (Gatorade Sports Science Institute)-(www.GSSI.com):

"-Carbohydrate- the primary fuel for muscle...the most important nutrient for athletic performance.
-Fat has more than double the calories of carbs and it takes longer to digest and metabolize.
-A high carbohydrate diet is essential"

From: 'Total Fitness and Wellness' 3rd ed.-University of Florida:

"-if a positive caloric balance is created by eating large amounts of CARBOHYDRATES or proteins(instead of dietary fats), many of the excess calories are used to repair tissues(proteins), replace body carb stores (carbs), or provide body energy (carbs).
-Low-Carbohydrate Diet has high fat or protein and is nutritionally unbalanced and not recommended

From: ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) (www.acsm.org)--

'Appropriate Intervention Strategies fro Weight Loss and Prevention of Weight Regain for Adults'--

written by: J. Jakicic, Ph.D, FACSM--K. Clark, Ph.D, R.D, FACSM--E. Coleman, R.D, M.A, MPH--J. Donnelly, Ed.D, FACSM--J. Foreyt, Ph.D--E. Melanson, Ph.D--J. Volek, Ph.D, R.D, S. Volpe, Ph.D, R.D, FACSM:

-"Carbohydrates are important to maintain blood-glucose levels...to replace muscle glycogen.
-Recommendations for athletes range from 6 to 10 g/kg body weight per day.
-Observational data from the National Weight Control Registry has shown that individuals who have maintained an average weight loss of approximately 13.6kg for an average of 5.5 yr are consuming approximately 24% of energy from FAT, 19% of energy from Protein, and 56% of energy from carbohydrates."

From: 24hour Fitness Complete Personal Training Certification Manual:

"-Carbohydrates are the cheif source of energy for ALL body functions and muscularr exertion at high intensity.
-All sugars and starches are converted by the body into simple sugars such as glucose, galactose and fructose...some of the glucose, or "blood sugar", is used as fuel by tissues of the BRAIN, NERVOUS SYSTEM, and MUSCLES.
-an insufficient amount of carbs may promote ketosis, loss of energy, depression, AND the breakdown of lean body tissue.
-Diets composed of less than 45% carbohydrates generally lead to the following sequencce of events:
*cellular fluid imbalance
*Eventual loss of energy
*begins to experience uncontrollable food cravings (unsatiated)
* The typical weight rebound
* Protein is used for energy rather than building or sustaining muscle.
*METABOLIC RATE SLOWS(meaning you'll gain weight)
-Carb recommendations: carb intake should average between 45 and 75 percent.
-when choosing carbs, complex carbs such as whole grains and vegetables are preferred.
-replacing dietary carbs with protein has been shown to decrease testosterone, suggesting that proper amts of carbs can improve the anabolic environment (muscle growth)

From:NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) (www.NASM.org)

"-Best guidelines for Altering Body Composition:

Fat Loss:
*Distribute protein, Carbs, & fat throughout the dat at EACH meal.
* Choose whole grains & fresh vegetables
*...eat no fewer than 4 meals per day (no more than 6)

-Complex carbs should comprise the majority of calories due to their nutrient dense nature
-a diet containing approx. 60% of caloric intake from carbohydrates is recommended. for aerobic exercise

"-One key to staying motivated to exercise is to keep the amount of sugar in your blood—and thus, your energy level—stable to prevent ups and downs. You can best do that by eating a series of small meals throughout the day—as many as five or six—that are composed of complex carbohydrates, such as whole grain breads, beans and other vegetables, whole grain crackers and fruit.
-Eating complex carbohydrates helps keep your blood sugar stable because they are digested and absorbed slowly into the blood and don’t require your pancreas to produce much insulin.

"-Is it true that carbohydrates make a person fat?

If you eat more calories than you expend, then anything can be stored as fat - protein, fat or carbohydrate.

-Why are dietary carbohydrate recommendations higher than protein?

Carbohydrate is the substance the body uses to produce energy and convert other nutrients to energy, such as fat. Also, wise carbohydrate sources provide important nutrition such as vitamins, minerals, fiber and other substances that have a positive impact on health

-Will carbohydrates make me fat?

No. Americans currently eat approximately 300 calories more per day than they did 10 years ago and move less - thus, we are fatter. Calories and technology are the primary reasons for our nation's expanding waistline. Excess calories make you fat

-Explain why switching from a high-protein diet to a high-carbohydrate diet might cause you to feel bloated initially.

Each part of stored glucose (glycogen) contains 2.7 parts water. With a high-protein diet, glycogen stores are consistently low and therefore water content is low, which decreases the cells' efficiency. The bloated feeling will eventually normalize when the body recovers to a properly hydrated state

Thousands of diet plans contribute to a $40-billion-a-year weight-loss industry8(

8o

Fad Diets Reviewed: Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution

This best-seller claims that dieters can lose all the weight they want by eliminating carbohydrates and sugar from their diets. With the lure of eating "forbidden foods," Dr. Atkins charges that processed carbohydrates and insulin, not excess calories, are responsible for obesity in the United States. The low-carb, high-protein plan consists of between 1,200 and 1,800 calories. This calorie range would result in weight loss no matter what combination of foods (carbohydrate, protein and fat) was employed.

Advantages:
Users seem to gravitate to the plan’s simplicity. By eliminating carbohydrates and sugar from the diet, a significant number of calories are also eliminated.

Disadvantages:
The downside to the plan is its reliance on protein. High-protein diets put the body into a state of ketosis, causing headaches, bad breath, nausea and carbohydrate cravings due to depleted glycogen stores. The plan is too high in saturated fats and too low in fruits, whole grains, calcium and fiber.

Long-Term Success:
Information from the National Weight Control Registry indicates that high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets are not maintained for life. After the initial weight loss, the dieter eventually rebounds if carbohydrates are reintroduced into the diet.

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution was created by Robert C. Atkins, M.D.

8o

again, sorry for writing so much. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Take care and be hEalthy!!!! =D

Petersko said:
JBizzle - Careful what you choose to declare unhealthy. I'm fairly confident that as a trained and certified personal trainer you've been taught and tested on a great deal of pre-existing information, but you really aren't qualified to evaluate the relative unhealthiness of a particular dietary technique.

Or am I addressing Dr. JBizzle?

Websters College Dictionary:
"Doctor- a person licensed to practice medicine, as a physician, surgeon, dentist, or veterinarian."

None of these people deal with weight loss on a day to day basis, if ever, except plastic surgeons.

Def.2-a person skilled in repairing or improving something broken or flawed
(according to that definition, I am a doctor) :p (Any Docs out there, don't get offended, just funnin')

Doctors don't spend years and years in a classroom to help someone loose weight. They're time, money, and years were spent on things more serious, acute, and/or fatal. Especially since being overwieght has only become a problem over the past ten years or so (Practicing doctors today did not study for that stuff 10 years ago.)

Loosing weight, though, is what I have spent years studying and practicing on a daily basis.

No, I can't repair your broken arm, and no I can't put a valve in your heart or give you a prescription for your Oxycodine. But I can help you loose weight, gain muscle, or manipulate your body (aesthetically) in just about any way you want.

;) Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Whhoooo!!! I'm better now. :D