• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🍳 Cooking 🍳 Low carb diets

Atkins Diet Tittle-Tattle

My mother is on the Atkins diet right now. In 3 weeks she's lost about 10 lbs., which, I hear, is pretty typical for the diet. If you like meat and heavy whipping cream, this diet is for you. To me, any diet that says pork rinds are the perfect snack is a little off.

I don't think any diet works permanently, at least not for me. It's all about changing your lifestyle to something you can live with. Is having a flat stomach really worth only eating bread on "special occasions"?

^^
"special occaisions" mealtimes are special occaisions, i have bread with those.

I need to find a way to comebine bread, pasta, and mashed potatos into some kind of super meal. Take that, pancreas

yes, you lose weight while on the diet, but do you keep it off if you stop the diet?

People keep referring to it as a "diet", meaning a short-term weight loss process, followed by cessation, and a return to normal eating habits.

But its "normal eating habits" that got the individual to their starting weight in the first place. If they return to those habits, yes, they'll put on the weight.

The low carb methodology typically allows up to 90 grams of carbohydrates a day in the maintenance (lifetime) phase. That's a far cry from the opening 20 grams per day. Also, that is not really a total carbohydrate count, since fiber can be removed from your addition. So if your vegetables have 15 grams of carbs, and 10 grams of that is fibre, only 5 grams counts.

Also, low carb eating plans almost always detail what vitamins and minerals they are scant on, in order to allow supplementation.

And, finally, remember that statistically speaking traditional dieting techniques are a nearly complete and total failure. Almost everybody who loses a substantial amount of weight on a high carb approach gains it back within four years, plus more.

That's because many people just don't feel full on a carbohydrate-rich meal that contains sufficient energy, but insufficient bulk. Feeling hungry all the time sucks - ask anybody who has gone the distance.

I've read some studies recently that indicate that low carb weight loss tends to be more maintainable, since higher protein/fat foods tend to allow satiation much earlier.

^^ Good post.

I agree. I still eat carbohydrates, and I feel better than ever. I eat smaller portions of meals, lots of vegetables (however, not ones with high carbs), salads, meat, and a relatively little amount of fat.

I have never had more mental energy. And it is sustainable, not like a lot of diets where you feel you are depriving yourself, or cutting back to unrealistic portions. It's not hard to cut out sugars/bread/pasta/starchy foods when you're used to it. What you can eat is sufficient, and I think generally better foods.

Some of u are posting that it's not healthy to eat all these fats regardless of whether or not you're eating carbs, and that no carbs sucks. I don't think it's recommended that you just gorge on fat and protein, and completely starve yourself of any carbs. Your main diet should consist of protein (the building blocks of muscle), with some fat (there's good fat that actually promotes lean muscle mass), and some carbs (complex carbs in the morning, simple carbs right after the gym to replenish glycogen levels). And no more carbs for the rest of the day so that you're body will burn fat (stored energy).

My mate was telling me of this "no carb" diet which was proven to work, forgot the name. But it basically cut carbs from your diet totally. He said you could eat all the "shit" you wanted, just no carbs.

But, really... everything tasty is carbs.... you can't deny carbs !! its torture!

Petersko said:

And, finally, remember that statistically speaking traditional dieting techniques are a nearly complete and total failure.

I've read some studies recently that indicate that low carb weight loss tends to be more maintainable, since higher protein/fat foods tend to allow satiation much earlier.

Good post - I'd agree with the first paragraph I quoted above - I suppose I shouldn't have called the Atkins Plan a 'diet' if its a lifestyle change - I'd also argue that "dieting" doesn't work and you need to change your lifestyle to ensure healthy eating patterns and exercise.

Do you have links for those studies you mention? I was under the impression there hadn't been any long-term evaluations of low-carbing?

(btw, I'm not totally talking out of my ass here - I work for a sporting/health promotion organisation so I skim a lot of articles from academic and general health publications, and they definitely come down against low-carbing).

Flea': it sounds to me like your friend is referring to the Atkins Diet/Plan, but seems to have misinterpreted it - I'm sure someone more familiar with Atkins will confirm. It's impossible to have a diet where you can eat 'as much of [x] as you want and not put on weight' - you put on weight because of the calories you take in, so more calories (from any source) will mean you put on more weight.

Simon, the diet states you can eat as much as you want, when you want, just as long as your carb intake is below the set threshold (which for permanent eating is 60g/day).

-T{H}R- said:
Simon, the diet states you can eat as much as you want, when you want, just as long as your carb intake is below the set threshold (which for permanent eating is 60g/day).

Yup simon, it was the atkins diet, and were you talking about the atkins diet too thor?

Ehm everybody's metabolism is unique. So you should try to mix up your own diet, which fits with you.
Eskimos ate high fat/protein diets and did best with that. But people near the equador did best with a fairly high carb diet.
So check out your anchestors :D . Or just try for yourself and see what's best for YOU.
People who need a fairly high carb diet, won't do good on Atkins (or any low carb diet). That's why the results in research is quite contradictive.

I'm afraid I don't quite see how you could eat 'as much as you want' and not put on weight, unless either (a) Atkins has found a way round the laws of thermodynamics, or (b) he's arguing that on his diet, you don't want to eat much, so the amount you choose to eat won't cause you to put on weight (which may be correct, but isn't quite the same as being able to eat 'whatever you want').

One thing I think we can all agree on - I saw Ministry of Health stats recently which said that in New Zealand teenagers, approx 10% of calories come from soft drinks/sodas. I'd bet it's similar in the US - and I think we all agree that's too high :)

There's been a few articles recently about the Atkins diet, and some interesting studies:

Here's a link to a good analysis of them:
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/7228/364866.html

The following take on the same studies (taken from Reuters Health) is interesting as well (sorry for the cutnpaste, but Reuters Health doesn't allow deep linking)

Atkins diet may be no better than just cutting fat

By Gene Emery

BOSTON (Reuters) - Shunning starchy foods in favor of meat and fat helps obese people shed some weight faster than a standard low-fat diet, but over time there may not be a big difference, researchers said on Wednesday.

Two studies appeared to confirm some of what the late Dr. Robert Atkins preached for decades until his death last month: that carbohydrates, a major energy source, cause weight gain.

In one six-month study, obese volunteers on the low-carbohydrate, high-fat and high-protein Atkins diet lost 13 pounds versus four pounds for obese people on a low-fat diet.

In a second year-long study, obese people on the Atkins diet lost nearly 10 pounds more after six months than volunteers on a conventional diet. But by the end of the year, the differences between the two groups were not significant, suggesting the Atkins diet is no better at helping fat people shed pounds than traditional weight-loss regimens.

"The average weight loss was greater in the low-carbohydrate groups than in the low-fat groups, but the difference was no longer significant at 12 months in the trial in which follow-up lasted that long," said James Ware in an editorial in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine, where both studies appear.

Ware also noted that the weight lost in each study was relatively tiny compared with the volunteers' size. The average starting weight among the volunteers in the first study was 288 pounds. Those in the second were about 50 pounds overweight.

In the United States, about 45 percent of women and 30 percent of men are on a diet.

More than 60 percent of Americans are overweight and more than 30 percent are obese.

The Atkins diet, first published in 1972, has been criticized by doctors because its high fat content increases the risk of heart disease, kidney problems and cancer. The 12-month study found, however, that triglyceride levels fell further and "good" cholesterol levels rose higher on the Atkins regimen than on the low-fat diet.

The researchers in the first study, led by Frederick Samaha of the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, said because low-fat diets are known to reduce the risk of heart disease, longer-term studies of the Atkins diet are needed.

The authors of the second agreed, concluding: "There is not enough information to determine whether the beneficial effects of the Atkins diet outweigh its potential adverse effects on the risk of coronary heart disease in obese persons."

"They have compared two diets, neither of which is very effective," said diet book author Dean Ornish of the University of California at San Francisco. His own eating recommendations, which include getting just 10 percent of daily calories from fat, have been shown to reverse heart disease.

SOURCE: The New England Journal of Medicine 2003.

i did my roughly 9-month stint on the atkins nutritional program and lost 90 pounds. i've been maintaining my weight loss without controlling my carbohydrates for four months now, i gained weight over thanksgiving and christmas but excercise and a bit of self-control got me back down. when i started the program i was around 300 pounds, and now i bounce around between 210 and 215. i was 23 years old when i started the program, obese with high blood pressure. between losing the extra weight and a completely insane excercise regiment my doctor places me in a very healthy standing.

as far as heart disease and the like, my grandmother started the atkins nutritional plan this past summer and has gotten better results from the program than any medication her cardiologist has ever put her on. her triglicerides are down and good cholesterol is up. that's why dr. atkins developed the plan- he was under a low-fat diet to help with his cholesterol and such and it wasn't working... so he found out that another doctor had a high-protein, low-carb program published in the new england journal of medicine. he started following the plan, and recommended it to his patients... wrote a few books and fast forward to today.

the first time i had heard about this diet when my friend who we called "the fat kid" in high school carbo-pleted and lost a ton of weight. later i worked with a bodybuilder who used the program to rid himself of bodyfat to get "cut". i felt safe going into the program, and i personally didn't go through any form of fatigue or loss of mental acuity... i was in college and at the gym around 3 hours a day in the early stages.

now that i'm at a weight i feel comfortable with i don't closely follow the plan, but i also don't find myself eating pasta or white bread very often. i rarely have a craving for sugar, but i now eat a ton of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. i've kept up my exercise ethic and my metabolism hasn't reverted or anything since i've left the nutritional program. it just really worked out for me, i lost the first 60 pounds in four months... but i put around 3 hours daily in the gym on cardio and weight training, so i always tell people it'll work slower for them if they're not as committed as i was.

^ nonsense. look at pictures of him - he's not fat.

alasdair

he did die pretty young for a so-called nutritionist though..

anyways, screw ketosis.. i live off carbs.. they're probably 90% of my diet. i'm 5"10 and weigh 150 lbs and my only form of exercise is walking and dancing..

he was a cardiologist, he promoted someone else's nutritional plan. until recently he never even promoted research on the plan. he died from the results of blunt head trauma from slipping on ice outside of his office.

here's what i do:

i try to avoid white sugars, like white bread and anything with sugar and such. instead, i replace them with whole wheat things or sugar-free sweets.

breakfast usually consists of spinach, eggs, turkey bacon, and a slice of skim american cheese. my favorite lunches are either sweet potatos (popped in the micro with a little salt, pepper, and some spray butter) or a whole wheat pita with cream cheese and tomatoes, or two slices of light whole wheat bread with cucumbers and cream cheese. i live on asparagus with garlic salt, parm, and spray butter. there are these great frozen veggie boxes by green giant that have literally no carbs in them (unless you get the ones with sauces, which have very little carbs)

cutting out all carbs is really dangerous, especially for women. its just all about healthy eating. white sugars/flour are REALLY bad for ANYONE... it's like swallowing rocks. they just sit there.

p.s. the sugar free chocolate and reeses cups and stuff rock. they taste better than the regular kind actually :)

I try to limit carbs but I personally feel the Atkins diet is ridiculous. Yes I understand it is very effective for some people. I just find there to be something odd about a diet where you can eat as much fatty BACON as you want, but you can't have an apple because of the natural sugars 8)

I somewhat recently lost about 40 lbs from diet and exercising. I'm a calorie counter though... it gets a bit annoying BUT it's what worked for me. I still count calories... I guess part of it is a control issue but that is besides the point ;) I do minimize carbs to an extent. Like FD said above, I don't eat white bread... I eat wheat bread. Everything I eat is purely for nutritional value and sustaining energy, meaning I don't select my food based on "that really tastes good." The food I eat does taste good to me, but I have a sort of philosophy to look at food as "fuel and not fun" because that's why we eat. To nourish our bodies and give us energy. Not to satisfy our tastebuds (this however does not apply during the PMS days for us women ;) =D )

With weight loss though, I say do what works best for you. I personally don't even like meats except chicken, so I probably would be miserable on a high protein low carb diet. I had a past roommate who did the Atkins diet, and she lost quite a bit of weight and in little time. However she became very bitchy and I'm sure a lot of that had to do with her new diet/lifestyle. She also gained it all back as soon as she went back to eating normally.

I mostly pay attention to calorie and fat content. So far I've maintained my "new" weight for about 8 months (and have even lost several more pounds under my goal weight in that time). I attribute this to the fact that I did not "go on a diet"... I made a lifestyle change. When people go on diets just to shed pounds then return to the lifestyle they had before... you end up how you were before.

After learning that my sister was starting Atkins, I went scouring the net for proof that Atkins was dangerous – to save her from the “risks” of the diet. Eventually I was satisfied that the rebuttals on Atkins website to common media myths (and the links on his page to research) were more solidly based in the realms of science than the high carb/low fat camps’ “Atkins goes against every thing we’ve been taught forever” style arguments.

The information in his book (which is all freely available on his website, if you have the time to navigate through it all) convinced me to try the diet, and from my interpretation of his theory behind the diet, I was determined to prove that you could lose weight JUST by changing the way you eat – absolutely no change in exercise (ie: zero – I work full time and run my own business – I was too buggered top think about exercise). (Atkins strongly recommends exercise in ANY diet, including his own. This was my own test.)

I've been doing Atkins for 9 months now. I’m 26, 178cm/5’10” and lost 30kgs/66lbs (went from 103kgs/226lbs to 73kgs/160lbs) in 5 months, and have maintained that weight for the last 4 months.

You do not count kilojoules/calories on Atkins, you eat when you feel like it and you eat until you are full. This works because Atkins naturally suppresses appetite by stabilizing blood sugar levels (even the high carb / low fat traditionalists are starting to recommend cutting out high GI foods like potato, white rice, etc) - the problem with high carb diets is that you get a rush of blood sugar, and when that subsides you feel hungry again.

Traditional nutritionists are also changing their views on calorie counting (and I will find the article and post it later) – saying that you can’t count all calories the same, as they are not all burnt by the body in the same way. This is another area that Atkins has beaten the traditionalists, as he has been saying for ages that when you swap from carb burning to fat burning for your energy source, your body actually has to work harder to convert the fat into energy, giving you a metabolic advantage.

I had before and after (after 8 months) blood tests, and my cholesterol, triglycerides, kidney function and every other blood-test measurable indicator have improved out of site. My energy levels are higher than ever, and I feel damn good about how I look.

Read the book, FOLLOW THE RULES, eat the supplements (which he recommends for every diet – not just his own) and you basically can’t go wrong.

I’m certainly no model of self control (I am a drug pig, and was obese), and I used to live on bread, pasta, pizza, etc, and I'm very fad-y (not sticking to many new interests for long) but (after the first 3 days) I found this to be the easiest thing ever to stick to.