• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

love or career??

If you have true love, there is no debate - love wins.

Besides, the global nursing shortage means I could get a job anywhere.:)

I made the mistake of choosing career over love, but only because I thought the career would (ultimately) benefit the long-term relationship. Going down the path of concentrating only on work, I rejected (not deliberately) the love and help on offer. That was a terrible mistake.
Now I have the career, but I have lost the one person I truly thought I could be with forever.

Loneliness is a terrible price to pay for independence

I don't envy the decision you have to make. Do discuss it with you love. And most importantly, be honest. I hope your love is honest with you.

well with my chosen career path if i got offered a job overseas or smth, i'd definately take it because in the film and tv industry its so hard to get a good job that oppurtunities don't come along very often. i'd hope that my partner would move with me, or i could have a long distance thing....it's not that i would choose career over love every time, it would really have to depend on what was on offer and it if it was worth it.
i love my boyfriend so much, and i would just hope that he would support me in any career choice i would have to make...BUT if it meant breaking up with him for good over it...i would def. have to say no....hmmm maybe i'm a 'love' girl after all....

Depends on the situation and if the move was permanent. If you really needed to move to maintain your career (not just advance it) why not take your S/O with you?

Love is what makes life worth living. Why would anyone give that up for something as meaningless as money? That makes no sense what so ever.

Great topic! I was only just discussing this with someone last night.

I've never been in a long term relaitonship, but yeah, eventually I will find someone and yeah, I do want to fall in love.

I also love my job. I love the people I work with and people I work for and I'm often required to do overtime and occasionally weekends.

Someone said to me last night, they can't see me having kids when I get older. I was like "WHAT?". Because I love kids and can't wait to have them.

But that got me thinking, kids or not, if I had a partner I loved and understood my needs and I understood theirs, maybe I'd rather work harder on a career than have kids??

I've always wanted to be a highly successful and well recognised career woman, but I can't really say whether I'd chose love or career ... as I've never been in love?

In my line of work (legal industry), I see a lot of people who choose career. Their offices are basically their home and I feel sorry for them, but if that's what makes them happy ... so be it. You often find, those who choose career, usually have partners in the same line of work, therefore, understand the needs of each other.

Hope that all makes sense ...

doofqueen said:
Love is what makes life worth living. Why would anyone give that up for something as meaningless as money? That makes no sense what so ever.

To some people, their "love" is their career, not a significant other. They may not necessarily be working for the money, they may just "love" the work they do.

In which case, they aren't giving up anything.

If you "love" your job and your life is fulfilled by it, why is there a need to have a significant other in your life?

Note, I'm not referring to myself, but just looking at the other side of the picture

^^
I agree with that.

Also life is not about having to chose a lot of something while missing out on something else. I think that you should never have to chose between money and career over love ... you should be able to find a balance and room enough for the two. One shouldnt be a priority over the other

<3

doofqueen said:

career is definately different to money.

a career is about you, making something of your life.

after spending 13 years at school, 3 years at uni, it's great to be able to put all that hard work into something that i can be passionate about, work hard, get rewarded (not just financially..) make a difference in other peoples lives, i get to travel round the country, meeting weird and wonderful people, and generally have a blast, which is giving me a sense of purpose in life...

after being screwed around in a serious relationship before, its great to put in a lot of hard work that will reward ME. i put in a lot of hard work and dedication into a relationship, and now there is no benefit for anyone...

yes, i know in the future that i will meet someone who will reward all my hard work with hard work of her own, but can u blame me for being a jaded fucker??? :)

^ Sidetracking a little here... I find it interesting how many guys, after the failure of a relationship, consider it "wasted time", or "a waste of my hard work and effort".

I have a totally different view. I think every relationship - no matter how it turns out - furthers you as a person. No-one has a completely stress-free, seamless path to love, success and happiness. If they did, I'd think that would be unrewarding in the extreme.

Try to think of your relationship experiences as stepping stones, or building blocks in your personality. There is never any waste. Mistakes are part of life as much as our sucesses are.

Bull shit ^^^.

All you need is happiness. And nobody can tell you what that might constitute. And as time changes, you evolve and so does your priorities. Maybe love today , career the next.

You are the only one who can decide what is right for you. The is no universal truths around the attainable ideal for happiness. If all we needed was love we would be in far better position than we all are in now. (personally and worldly)

we spend 13 yrs at school to learn the skills to get a career.
we don't spend the same amount of time at an institution learning how to love.

so in the eyes of society, career is more important.

^ hmmm. I think if you could do a course about love after which you're guaranteed a loving partner then you'd get plenty of people who would be doing it...

I would always choose love over a career but I'm with star_beats and Siany... if you really want to you can have both and just find a way to make it work.

preacha said:
^ you aren't guaranteed a career after you finish school.

if you work hard, and put your mind to it, you will get anywhere you want to.

anyone with dedecation can get a job. not everyone with dedication can find true love. :)

Hmmn. Love or Career?

If only life was so cut and dried, and the choices we have to make on a daily basis were so easily presented as such simple forks in the road.

Do we wake up one morning and think, what do I want to be this week? A heartless, megalomaniac dictator, romantic tortured poet, cold materialistic obsessed CEO, or blissfully in love?

BopGirl said:
To some people, their "love" is their career, not a significant other. They may not necessarily be working for the money, they may just "love" the work they do.

In which case, they aren't giving up anything.

If you "love" your job and your life is fulfilled by it, why is there a need to have a significant other in your life?

Note, I'm not referring to myself, but just looking at the other side of the picture

ok i guess i didn't think of it that way. career is different from money. My career (when i actually FINALLY get one) doesn't pay too much but i'm very passinate about it and i wouldn't want to give it up. Although i don't think anyone i do love and who loves me would ask me to give it up. I would still however choose love.

just to throw a spanner in the works here, i was just checking through CO-DEPENDANT VS INDEPENDANT PERSONALITIES THREAD and it was quite interesting to see the number of people who in that thread posted themselves as "independant" are the same ones in here saying they'd choose love over a career anyday...

just found that interesting... that was all...

i'll go back to my corner now.. :)