• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Lorazepam to Alprazolam -- Will I get severe withdrawal?

ahjeez

Greenlighter
So, um, I've never really asked about this kind of thing before, but I am terrified.

I have had panic disorder and severe paranoia for 19 years. Been on a very low dose of Lorazepam/Ativan ( usually .25mg once a day ) for about 5 years. I've never increased my dose, and would not be surprised if it doesn't have any effect on me anymore. I'm just taking it at this point to avoid withdrawal. Initially I was taking 1mg a day, and slowly tapered down to .75, then .50, and now .25 -- some days I can get away with even half of that.
My current issue is my doctor has switched me to Alprazolam/Xanax with no real switchover, and no communication. I am aware of the equivalent dosages and it is the same, but I am absolutely terrified that the Alprazolam won't prevent the withdrawal from Lorazepam. I know they're in the same class of drugs but searching around for this specific question hasn't given me any direct answers. I'm okay with mild withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, but it's the thought of seizures that scares me the most.

I have contacted my doctor but they are currently out of town? And my insurance is bad enough that asking questions about this to my provider has a decent chance of them cutting me off altogether. So, I'd like some reassurance / advice on this.

tl;dr:
Am I going to experience severe withdrawal suddenly switching from Lorazepam to Alprazolam?

Please get xanax xr. That shit is healthier in the long run since it packs its guns to the whole day like a medicine, not like a drug. But alprazolam would be way stronger, and would affect more things.

Alprazolam will prevent lorazepam withdrawal and fully substitutes, but doesn't last as long. You might have to dose it twice a day.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I'm already less nervous. I'll talk with my doctor about XR when they get back to the office.

I'm going to assume you didn't get withdrawal symptoms when taper down from 1mg?

How much Alprazolam?

Prescribed .5 mg but I know that's gonna be way stronger than what I'm used to, so I'll probably be taking like, a quarter of that. I tapered Lorazepam very slowly so I didn't have any withdrawal - none that I noticed, anyway.

Good luck 🧡 You will propably find 0.5mg xanax xr enough for the whole day. I was also prescribed both instant and xr and with instant in the long run, you get "waiting withdrawals" at some point. Its like the instant will work 9 hours at first. And only 7 hours after a few years. So if you want to not be stressed, xr is better as a medicine.

Any reason why your doctor moved you over to xanax? Was the avian not helping with your panic attacks?
My panic attacks haven't been too severe, usually I can just get myself out of it through other means. I'm not sure why they switched me, I just changed doctors so that may be why. Just odd timing on their part.