• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

looking for advice on getting of of clonazepam 2mg 6 weeks

Alfonso_Camarga

Bluelighter
been taking clonazepam for almost 6 weeks 2mg a day
not looking to prolong the taper and don’t really have a doctor i can turn to for help. i have 28mg of clonazepam left, and about 18.5mg valium, 10mg of ativan and xanax but im going to avoid the xanax. what would be the best plan of action? was thinking of going .5 clonazepam a day just to see how i feel for a week and then maybe switch to valium for a week and then stop? any help would be appreciated

Work out a reduction schedule based on what you have left, and either increase or decrease the rate of reduction depending how it goes, and how you feel.

I'd probably try quartering the clonazepam pills, so you could do 3/4 for a while, then 1/2 then 1/4 then stop. If that goes ok there'd be no need to introduce the diazepam which would just complicate things imo.

Clonazepam is quite long lasting, and depending what symtoms you get worse whether it's anxiety or insomnia you could adjust your timings accordingly, whether you take it in the morning or before bed, and only take once per day.

6 weeks isn't all that long to have been using benzos habitually, so there shouldn't be anything more severe than some temporary rebound insomnia and / or anxiety.

You may not have any symptoms at all, if you're lucky, and they should be kept to a minimum by working out a reduction schedule.

Avoid the xanax like you say, it's short acting, and it would be unhelpful and not useful during a dose reduction taper.

Last edited:
Work out a reduction schedule based on what you have left, and either increase or decrease the rate of reduction depending how it goes, and how you feel.

I'd probably try quartering the clonazepam pills, so you could do 3/4 for a while, then 1/2 then 1/4 then stop. If that goes ok there'd be no need to introduce the diazepam which would just complicate things imo.

Clonazepam is quite long lasting, and depending what symtoms you get worse whether it's anxiety or insomnia you could adjust your timings accordingly, whether you take it in the morning or before bed, and only take once per day.

6 weeks isn't all that long to have been using benzos habitually, so there shouldn't be anything more severe than some temporary rebound insomnia and / or anxiety.

You may not have any symptoms at all, if you're lucky, and they should be kept to a minimum by working out a reduction schedule.

Avoid the xanax like you say, it's short acting, and it would be unhelpful and not useful during a dose reduction taper.
alright thanks i appreciate the insight, what do you think about this here it’s based on what someone else had told me to do

1-1.25 for 3 days
0.75 for 3 days
0.5 for 4 days
0.25 for 5 days

my last dose was 15 hours ago i’m not feeling that great but also just coming back from japan and my sleep schedule is already all messed up so that could be part of it. not looking to prolong the process so you’re thinking start at 0.75? i would much rather take it in the evening to help with sleep i think

alright thanks i appreciate the insight, what do you think about this here it’s based on what someone else had told me to do

1-1.25 for 3 days
0.75 for 3 days
0.5 for 4 days
0.25 for 5 days

my last dose was 15 hours ago i’m not feeling that great but also just coming back from japan and my sleep schedule is already all messed up so that could be part of it. not looking to prolong the process so you’re thinking start at 0.75? i would much rather take it in the evening to help with sleep i think
If you've just had six weeks on one 2mg pill per day, then it would make sense to me to start reducing straight away.

I don't understand the logic of having another 3 days on the same dose, or even increasing the dose by a quarter of a pill.

Especially as you only have a limited amount of pills for the taper?

However, It shouldn't make a huge difference at the end of the day whether you start the 0.75 dose now or in 3 days, so it's whatever you feel more comfortable with.

If you've just had six weeks on one 2mg pill per day, then it would make sense to me to start reducing straight away.

I don't understand the logic of having another 3 days on the same dose, or even increasing the dose by a quarter of a pill.

However, It shouldn't make a huge difference at the end of the day whether you start the 0.75 dose now or in 3 days, so it's whatever you feel more comfortable with.

my bad i meant those numbers are mg not pills, i have 1mg tablets.

so 1mg-1.25mg 3 days
0.75mg 3 days
0.5 mg 5 days
0.25mg 5 days

would this be fine you think? definitely not trying to increase dosage

Youve only been on them 6 weeks so your wd's should be minimal anyway. That taper schedule looks pretty good though
alright cool that’s sort of what i figured but wasn’t entirely sure because it’s my first time really using klonopin for this length of time, the taper schedule is in mg i forgot to add that, is it fine to go down to 1mg from 2mg straight away? and then to 0.75 and so forth

alright cool that’s sort of what i figured but wasn’t entirely sure because it’s my first time really using klonopin for this length of time, the taper schedule is in mg i forgot to add that, is it fine to go down to 1mg from 2mg straight away? and then to 0.75 and so forth

Well if you can id drop down from 2mg to 1.5mg at first just to be safe. But i think youl be fine either since you wherent using long

What you've proposed sounds fine.

There's many different ways of doing it. I might be tempted to reduce by a quarter of a pill every couple of days

So you could do 1 plus 3/4 pill day 1 and 2.

1 plus 1/2 pill days 3 and 4 etc.

Obviously you'd have to do the maths to work out exactly how that schedule would go, but that should make it slightly easier at the start, rather than having quite a big step down to start with.

The good news is that you've been on a relatively low dose for a relatively short duration so you should be fine, whichever steps down that you decide to take.

There's many different ways of doing it. I might be tempted to reduce by a quarter of a pill every couple of days

Obviously you'd have to do the maths to work out exactly how that schedule would go, but that should make it slightly easier at the start, rather than having quite a big step down to start with.

The good news is that you've been on a relatively low dose for a relatively short duration so you should be fine, whichever steps down that you decide to take.
yeah that doesn’t sound like a bad idea either, and would you just take it once a day than rather than splitting the dosage?

Once daily should be ok for Clonazepam, it's quite long lasting so you'd probably be covered for the duration until the next re-dose.

You'll have to use one dose at some point, so you may as well do it from the start.

Last edited:
Once daily should be ok for Clonazepam, it's quite long lasting so you'd probably be covered for the duration until the next re-dose.

You'll have to cut down to one dose at some point, so you may as well do it from the start.
good call, i’m choosing the evening for sure to help with sleep

thanks again

i did some math and was thinking maybe subbing some valium in with some klonopin seeing as i don’t have much klonopin left, do you think this would work?

Day 1 - 1.5mg

Day 2 - 1.5mg

Day 3 - 1.5mg

Day 4 1mg + 2.5mg diazepam

Day 5 1mg + 2.5mg diazepam

Day 6 1mg + 2.5mg diazepam

Day 7 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 8 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 9 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 10 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 11 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 12 0.25mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 13 0.25mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 14 5mg diazepam

Day 15 5mg diazepam

Day 16 5mg diazepam

jump

Well if you can id drop down from 2mg to 1.5mg at first just to be safe. But i think youl be fine either since you wherent using long
i was thinking of subbing in some valium with the klonopin at a smaller dose seeing as i don’t have that much left, would this work?

Day 1 - 1.5mg

Day 2 - 1.5mg

Day 3 - 1.5mg

Day 4 1mg + 2.5mg diazepam

Day 5 1mg + 2.55mg diazepam

Day 6 1mg + 2.5mg diazepam

Day 7 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 8 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 9 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 10 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 11 0.5mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 12 0.25mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 13 0.25mg + 5mg diazepam

Day 14 5mg diazepam

Day 15 5mg diazepam

Day 16 5mg diazepam

jump

I came off 2mg clonazepam after May 1st, I can help you. I came off fast and bared my teeth, because I'd ran out and knew I had to stop.

I had been doing twenty at a time then tapering back to about 2-4mg, every month, doing about 300. It was very silly and they mostly stopped working.

I only had about four tablets left so I took 2mg, split it in half, took 2 x 1mg, split another in half and had 4 x 500mg, and repeated down to about 200 micrograms.

It was a very short and fast taper and you should not do this unless absolutely necessary. But I'd been doing silly doses since covid hit, when I "stocked up". It had to end. And the point is, you can do it.

Just taper slowly, because benzo seizures are disgusting.

Edit: and 6 weeks is a walk in the park, but should not be snubbed either. To stop suddenly would probably = a seizure on day 3 of abstinence. Tapering, this does not happen.