• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term Benzo effects, increased anxiety?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
I have been on Valium (Diazepam) as prescribed for over 18 years. I read that long term use actually increases anxiety and that the user has to take more of the drug to get the original effect, in my case for anxiety/agoraphobia.

I have found that increasing the dose actually makes me even more anxious and is known as a paradoxical effect. Has anyone else found this? 1.... As in long term use made anxiety worse and 2..... A higher dose made anxiety worse?

I have been on Valium (Diazepam) as prescribed for over 18 years. I read that long term use actually increases anxiety and that the user has to take more of the drug to get the original effect, in my case for anxiety/agoraphobia.

I have found that increasing the dose actually makes me even more anxious and is known as a paradoxical effect. Has anyone else found this? 1.... As in long term use made anxiety worse and 2..... A higher dose made anxiety worse?

Unfortunately you are not alone, and this is pretty common. Hence why benzos are not actually supposed to be used long-term like this. There are no studies showing long-term safety or efficacy, and as you have found out, they eventually just do not produce the relief they once did, and even make anxiety worse. I was on them for about 14 years, and though I spent most of that on diazepam, I hopped around constantly, in frantic search of that relief the benzos brought me in the beginning. I never found it, and I finished out my 14 or so years on around 4-16mg of clonazepam a day, before I was forced to wean off (in a controlled environment for about 2 weeks). Chasing that initial relief is a futile endeavor I'm afraid.

Tolerance builds up quickly for Benzos and you definately have a significant level of tolerance after 18 years. IMO what you're expieriencing could either be from the medication itself (on a pharmacological level) or the underlying condition got worse.

Following wikipedia, the valium could really be the cause of your anxiety:"Approximately half of patients attending mental health services for conditions including anxiety disorders such as panic disorder or social phobia may be the result of alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_long-term_benzodiazepine_use#Mental_and_physical_health
Please note that Benzodiazepines are meant to be used short-term. I think it't very irresposible for your doctor to prescibe those for 2 decades.