Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Living with parents

if my parents lived somewhere decent i'd most likely be there

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

i lived at home until i was about 18 and a half. then went and lived on stradbroke island for 6 months with my cousin and a mate of ours - anyone familiar with stradbroke island will be hating me right now %) but meh suckit:p. i lived there for 6 months last summer and had the time of my life - earning bullshit easy money and partying harder than keef richards... but now i'm back at home - living with my old man so that i can save for my big move down to melbourne next year. But that's all sweet, i may as well be living on my own - except that i have this magical refrigerator that refills itself whenever it gets empty. (i work nights, he works 9 til 5 - so we see each other maybe for a few hours on a sunday arvo) anyways the plan is to go down there (melbourne) and study - really get my arse back into gear in terms of working/studying etc.. proud to say that i'll be a bar manager before i get down there - all at the tender age of 19 but hey - it's like doofqueen said, i think i've just grown up a helluva lot quicker than some of my contemporaries. ah well, guess it augers well for me hey?=D =D =D
turns out i'm now 21 and still trying to move down - stupid partying keeps me from saving... ah well cest la vie
-=D Loud247=D -

Last edited:
Well, im 20, i still live at home with mum, and dad basically lives here for convience, my olds split a few years ago, but he didnt really go far...

In a perfect world i could move out, but im an only child, i love my mum to pieces, and it would be hard to live without her (she does basically everything for me). I pay 50 bucks a week for board, and that is all, i have cable tele in my room, my own phone line, and basically a perfect set up.

I have my own freedom, as long as she knows im safe, its all good, my mates are allowed to come around anytime as long as we dont disturb the peace.

Since i am now working a 9-5 job, that pays fairy decent, i would love to save, but it is kinda hard, i have troubles with money too... But that is my goal for next yr, to have a few quid saved up so i can finally get my ass overseas.

Having been overseas for a year and accumulated huge debts, i'm back living at home at least for the short-term. Most of my friends lived at home until about 22-23, but most of them have moved out now. My sister just moved out of home and she's 27, but it's allowed her and her fiance to save a deposit on their house.

evilcalvin said:
They're like really old flatmates that pay all the rent :p

Hehe yeah it's like that for me too, we share the same house but pretty much lead different lives. Still, it *is* their house and it can get frustrating at times, like when they tell me to turn the music down at 10pm on a friday night because they're going to bed, or getting home after a stressful day's work and not being able to fire up a cone.

I'm 16, back at home after 2 months sharing a house with a couple, and 3 months on my own.
My boyfriend is 31, owns his house but lives with his parents as his wife (separated) and kids live in his house.

wow there are stacks of you still living at home. I could never do it. I am too independant. I personally think that once your 21 you should really be out of home and 'grown up' (although i'm sure i'll get flamed for that comment)

can we have a poll please? but make it so ages are included in the yes or no of if you still live with your parents?

say ...

under 18 - yes
under 18 - no
18-21 - yes
18-21 - no
21-25 -yes
21-25 - yes etc?

Kadorite said:
I'm 16, back at home after 2 months sharing a house with a couple, and 3 months on my own.
My boyfriend is 31, owns his house but lives with his parents as his wife (separated) and kids live in his house.

i cant believe your 16 and your bf is 31. that is just wrong. although i probably shouldnt say anything, but age gaps like that just disgust me.

doofqueen said:
wow there are stacks of you still living at home. I could never do it. I am too independant. I personally think that once your 21 you should really be out of home and 'grown up' (although i'm sure i'll get flamed for that comment)

can we have a poll please? but make it so ages are included in the yes or no of if you still live with your parents?

say ...

under 18 - yes
under 18 - no
18-21 - yes
18-21 - no
21-25 -yes
21-25 - yes etc?

Well I'll flame you. I'm 27 and have moved back home because of drug addiction, I have been living out and about for some time but it's safer for me to be home with Mum atm.

DQ- there may be many different reasons why someone over 21 is still living or has moved back home, and they may or may not have anything to do with being "grown-up".
what exactly is "grown up" anyway??

p.s. i thought you'd be one of the last people on this board to pigeon hole people into what they "should" and "shouldn't" be doing 8(

I'm not really pigeon holeing people :\ That's just how i feel about the topic. I think once your 21 (and LEGALLY at 18 your ADULT which means grown up no?) There's a time when the little birdie has to fly the nest and be in the big bad world themselves. Maybe it's because i had to grow up that i feel this way. Who knows *shrugs*

ps - as i said i knew i would get flamed for it and people would get defensive.

rm - if it's a matter of personal safety then of course it's nessasary. anything else ..... well.....

it makes sense in alot of ways to stay at home as long as u can.... if im still living at home when im 25, it will just be where i sleep anyway, i dont see whats not "grown up" about that..... i will still have a job, friends, different life from my parents etc.... it would just so happen i sleep at home, instead of my own house which i would be wasting money on..... if your parents are cool, nothing wrong with staying with them as long as possible, its ridiculous to make a general blanket statement like that

im similar to lots of ppl who already posted.....

moved out at 19, into a share house....was making good money, but also living a pretty extravagant lifestyle....lost my job, things went to shit....im now in the process of moving all my stuff back to mum and dads while i go live on the sunshine coast to manage a bar before (hopefully) going back to uni next yr....and living with the olds

but they're cool, they have broadband and digital tv, and really are more like friends.....but the 11pm music curfew, and the fact that i wont be able to take random ppl home at 4 in the morning kinda sux

I could never go back to living with parents. They're nosy and controlling and I get along with them much better when there's a good 50km between us. I love them but god damn I need my space. I'm currently in the process of moving and luckily I have two awesome friends who are letting me stay in their spare room until I find somewhere else to live. In any case, when they heard I was moving they made it pretty clear that there was no longer room for me in the family home [which is fair enough].

I think living at home completely depends on the type of parents you have. If they're relatively cool and relaxed people it would be okay, I guess.

I know a lot of people who live out of home that I wouldn't consider grown-up...

I loved living with my parents.

I'm 21 and moved out with my boyfriend of 2 years about 2 months ago.

The reason I moved wasn't to get away from my parents, but more to be with my boyfriend. It was probably the hardest step I ever had to take in growing up, and although I'm happy- I really miss being "at home".

I still have massive bouts of homsickness, and make the effort to see my family about twice a week. I still get along with them fabulously, and i know that if me or chris ever needed anywhere to go we would always be welcome there.

I <3 my family

I came to Australia at 16. While I am still living on my parents money, I have pretty much lived away from them since then. I've always been one to want to move out of home.8) I recall a time when I was probably about 13, wishing to move into a flat alone but still hoping my parents will support me (from where I come from, I don't think there's anything about becoming independent and hence getting money from the government, well not that I know of anways) which I knew was an impossible though. For the first two years, I went back home twice a year, a cpl weeks during winter and for most of the summer. Last year, I only went back for summer, whilst this year, I won't even be going anywhere near home. Seriously, I do miss my family and I wont mind being back there but I guess being away for these cpl of yrs, I've sort of become accustomed to being away from them.

I think a major factor in regards to moving out is how independent a person wants to be. My parents always brought me up to be independent, well.. they try to teach me how to be able to take care of myself. I also used to have a lot of arguments with mom which made things worst (which has improved after her accompanying me to Victoria and staying with me a whole month making sure that I'm alright on my own because I have no family members here as well as no house to live in when i first arrived). I also never seem to understand any of the advice or 'rules' that they gave to me (but thinking back, comparing it to my other asian friends, those 'rules' were really nothing in comparison). One good thing about my parents is that they are pretty open about things, though I've never tried asking my boyfriend to stay over wen I'm back home. Since I was a kid, they always wanted me to treat them as a friend as well as a parent (i noe this seem hard, but i think they pulled it off). There were always the authority figure, i still respect them as parents and now, I do tend to listen to what they have to say about things, but at the same time, they always tried to get me to talk about things which as I grew older, have learned to open up to them more.

Most of my friends back home still live with their parents. I used to not understand why wont they move out but I've come to realise that not everyone strives for independence like I do. And at the same time, like others that have posted, not paying rent and all that in turn helps in saving $. Also if you have great bonds with your parents, coming home from a stressfull day at work to their loving arms and concerns is also nice. In my opinion, if it was a personal preference, then it can't b so bad.... Sorry if I went a little offtopic... 8)

eze451 said:
it makes sense in alot of ways to stay at home as long as u can.... if im still living at home when im 25, it will just be where i sleep anyway, i dont see whats not "grown up" about that..... i will still have a job, friends, different life from my parents etc.... it would just so happen i sleep at home, instead of my own house which i would be wasting money on..... if your parents are cool, nothing wrong with staying with them as long as possible, its ridiculous to make a general blanket statement like that

As i said i knew people would get defensive. And i can make a statement like that. It's how i feel about the topic and i'm not apologising for it. You can't live with your parents well into your 20's and think that your being self sufficient.

kat meow - yes agree with that too *puts fairy wings on* =D

doofqueen said:
As i said i knew people would get defensive. And i can make a statement like that. It's how i feel about the topic and i'm not apologising for it. You can't live with your parents well into your 20's and think that your being self sufficient.

Why do you say that? Just because you are living at home it does not mean a person is depending on their parents at all (doesn't mean they aren't either) It can be a *smart* financial decision or that a person is living there to actually look after their parent(s) due to a disability/old age/etc. Also it doesn't mean that they don't pay bills/rent/have the exact same 'restrictions'/responsabilities as not living at home. That is a blanket generalisation and nothing else.

If your looking after your parents that's one thing but when your parents are looking after you that's another. I do realise that there are circumstances where people can't not live with their folks but as i said it's just the way i feel. I think once your an adult you should be in the world on your own. I would highly be disapointed in my son if he was still living with me at 21 :\

doofqueen said:
I would highly be disapointed in my son if he was still living with me at 21 :\

This reminds me of what my parents once told me when I was really young 'we expect you to be out of this house by 18'. At that time, i thought they were going to kick me out, but then later on, I realise that it meant that I should be studying elsewhere if not working. But what is said earlier is very true, it doesnt mean that they're independent surviving on their own.