Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Living with parents

doofqueen

Bluelighter
This is just stemming from "Your safe place" thread. My safe place is my house. It's just me and my son. I figured everyones safe place would be there house but i got to thinking that alot of people still live at home and are about my age.

How many people still live at home?
How old are you?
Why do you still live at home? Any reason you can not move out?

I'm just wondering on people's opinion as to is there a certain age or time in your life when you have to realise that you can't live with your parents anymore? I'm not picking on people who still live at home by the way. I just wouldn't be able to share a house with my parents at the age i'm at and what i do in my life and would be concerned about privacy and what not so i can't imagine how people can actually live with their parents once their adults.

I've had my own place since i was seventeen (with my sons father) and since i was twenty i've lived without a partner. (when we split up) Granted i had a child quite young so HAD to grow up. Since being on my own since twenty i never get scared at home alone (anyone does?) because i hear people who do actually get scared home alone etc. I'm just used to being "the man of the house" i guess.

Who do you live with if you don't live with your parents? I've never had flatmates and i really need my own space where i can put my own stuff and do housework when i want and listen to music when i feel like it etc etc. I would be a terrible flatmate. I'm way too bossy about my "space"8(

funnily enough, i just got kicked out of home 22 hours ago, so this is a relevant thread for me.

I moved out when I was 18, but I've nearly always kind of lived with parents or family. When I moved out I went to Sydney and my Dad shared my apartment with me three days a week. When I moved to Adelaide, I lived with my grandparents. I was nearly 20 before I actually moved to a place by myself.

Anyway, now I live with my little family (me, hubby, Georgia and our cat). I miss living with my parents. Not because it's cheaper or because someone washes my clothes, but because I really liked the company. There were we three kids, and my grandparents came over often, and we were all friends with all the neighbours' kids as well. When I moved out, I felt really, really lonely!

Now I visit my parents all the time. They live about 5 seconds around the corner and I really enjoy spending time with them. But I also love having my own space to go home to. I can go to their house when I feel like being around people, and if I don't want to, I can stay home and do my own thing. I like that. And I can be messy!

I never really worried about any invasion of privacy when I lived at home. My family is pretty open and I didn't have a lot of secrets, and I felt like I shared enough with my family that they wouldn't feel the need to go snooping around my room. Part of it was that we had a huge house with our parents' room at one end and a sort of "kids' end" at the other, so we were always allowed our own space and felt like we could be private if we wanted to.

If I hadn't moved to Sydney, I think I'd probably still be living at home (presuming I hadn't met hubby through some other means). I'll be 22 this week and I don't think that's too old to be living at home. I feel like as long as you're sort of "uni-straight-from-school" age, you have a ticket to be living at home - maybe anything up to 25. I wouldn't want to be living at home as I approached 30, just because I think I'd begin to lose a sense of who I really wanted to be.

I like having my space, but I do like having my family close by.

I had to move out when I was 17 to go to university. I moved down to student accomodation in Perth and my parents stayed up north 2000km away. I still go back every July and Christmas but I don't think I could ever actually live with them again.

When I am on my own, I can treat myself as an adult with all the usual adult shortcomings and freedoms. When I'm back with my parents and/or relatives, it drives me batshit insane to be demoted to the level of a teenager again. Not that I'm troublesome, but I find it difficult to express to my parents that sometimes I don't plan on coming home at nights, sometimes I drink, sometimes I'm very irresponsible. When I'm living with them I'm forced into a life of sobriety because I'm their level-headed darling older girl. Also, they don't infringe on my privacy but they do infringe on my time. More my sister than my parents-- I can expect her to burst into my room at any moment with some demand that takes me away from my happily doing nothingness. She gets downright stroppy if I don't put down my book to pay attention to her Right Now. I can handle a few weeks of this, but to live with them again with no end in sight... I'm NOT going to be the 30 year old child living in the basement.

That said, I really miss the security of having a family nearby. It would be nice to not have to cook dinner/breakfast/lunch for myself all the time. And at the moment I can go for a day without saying anything more than "Hi." to my flatmates (we're not very close).

Being left on my own is a good thing but I'm always going to want a mum nearby to take care of my when I'm sick.

i'm 21 and i've been living by myself now for a bit over a year. it was hard for me at first because the situation of me living by myself in our family home was in many ways forced on me when my dad got a job overseas last year and moved there with the mum. of course i had the option of moving there with them but being 20 at the time and half way through my uni degree i decided that the right thing for me would be to stay put at least until i finished.

as i said it was very hard for me at first and i felt extremely alone and scared. what made it so hard was the fact that i actually had quite a good relationship with my parents, especially with the mum, and since i am an only child too, never lived alone before and i have no relatives living in Australia, it all put this seemingly extreme amount of pressure on me.

i am used to it now though and definitely not scared of being by myself anymore, like doofqueen said i guess i've grown up to be quite independent :) i alsolovehaving my personal space too.

if my parents were still here though id probably be living with them now and i see nothing really wrong with that either.

if things had gone differently for me id say i would have continued to live with my parents until i finished uni and then probably looked into moving out soon after that. ideally i think once you are out of uni and have a job its probably time to be moving out of home, especially if you have a partner too it's just seems natural to want to go out on your own i think (even if you get on well with your parents).

I moved out when I was 17.........it was not a pretty sight.

I have lived alone now for some 27 years apart from a number of stints from 3-6 months worth with various female partners............a 12 month stint with a friend who shared...........a 12 month stint with a female friend at her pad..........and more recently a 3 year stint with my best mate who recently broke my heart by moving out to live with a bitch.

I get very very lonely and yes from time to time......not often........I get scared.

Having said that however, i knoiw plenty of kids who still live with there parents at age 27............Being a skippy le bush kangaroo, I found it hard to understand thi9s when I first learnt of it..........but it seems the norm for many European background families.

Im glad I moved out when I did............i gained so much from it including being able to finally get on with my Mum.

I moved out of home for a brief 2 year stint in Sydney, but I was sick of the Sydney-lifestyle as all of my friends were in Wollongong. I needed to save lots of money fast for going overseas so I moved back in with my old folks and brother. I saved about 4000 dollars in a month and a half and I'm still living here now. It's awesome, dinner is ready everyday and it's always the best food - there's always food in the cupboard when you need it and there's always someone around if I ever need to borrow a bit of money or anything.

Living at home with the parents has some bad faults, but overall it's probably the best thing in the world. I pay no rent or board here, and I use my dads broadband internet for free. After living away from home, I realised it doesn't get ANY easier than this.

I am 16 years old and still live with my parents. I dont have any rules or anything so it doesnt bother me one bit. I dont have to pay board or anything, so im happy with that!
I will prob move out within the next few years hopefully. I just wana be more dependant.

- l - u - c - e - said:
I just wana be more dependant.

I'm not giving you shit, but I think you mean you would like to be more independant :)

Ah I'm 21 and I'm still at home with my mum at the moment but I'm studying full-time so it works well! I get on okay with my mum and shes pretty easy going so we're like friends which is lucky. She used to be a frikkin nightmare tho. I've been going through a lot of personal things in the last 3 years so its been good support.

I'll be moving out the second I'm working full time again which won't be for another year or so after I've finished my qualifications.

As far as freedom, I just can't be too messy. Its just annoying with my girlfriend is over and we'd want some in-time to ourselves but thats alright, its her house too.

Can't wait to move out near the beach tho, ahh the sweet sea breeses and surf :D

keystroke said:
I'm not giving you shit, but I think you mean you would like to be more independant :)

haha...........not necessarily bro............I have seen kids move out and become even more dependant on there parents .

Depoendant on them to help out with the rent..........wash the clothes.........provide meals at a moments notice............and the list goes on and on and on...........lol.

i live at home.
i want to move out, but, to be honest, i like having my family around me. As much as they *often* infuriate me and annoy me, they only want the best for me.

They kind of give me rules, and say do this do that... But they are pretty good. I completley understnad why they say those things, for my own good. I think i'd be more pissed off if they didn't say "when wil you be home..." etc. At least this way i know they love me.

And when i need them around, i know they are always not far away, and its not like i can't see them or whatever.

i definitely want to move out sometime... not too far away. For me the attraction to home isn't having someone to wash my clothes and cook for me, becasue we have to do that ourselves anyway... For me, i'm happy knowing my mum is nearby.

I'm 22 and have been living by myself for almost 2 years (since I finished Uni). It took me a while to get used to, I got very depressed for a while but I'm ok now. Can't wait to get out of here tho and live with other people again.

I am going to be a bastard of a house mate for a while tho. I can get really shitty when my blood sugar gets low. Look out world!

I really like being independant. I don't like not being in complete contol of my life.

Would anyone like to wash my dishes now?

haha exactly. My old house mate (he was 27 when he first moved out!) would have his mum come around EVERYNIGHT and give him his dinner. Also any time there was the least bit of tension he got his parents to come over to 'talk to me'. I was 20 at the time. Found that hilarious. Nice guy and he worked part time at an arcade place so he would bring home different arcade PCBs to put into one of our 4 cabinets we had. So we had 100s of different games in our place over the year we shared a flat. That was the main reason I stayed there so long :p He then got a girlfriend and moved in with her. She fully mothered him just like his mother did. I think to this day he probably still hasn't cooked a meal for himself. Also a guy who grew up with me has also done the same. He is 31, still lives at home. His parents go to Sydney a lot to watch Sydney play there. He has always just used the microwave to heat up a pre-made meal. The positive of that is he has about 200K in the bank saved from never paying for anything hardly. heh

I'm 27 and currently back with Mum :)

I've had a really big roblem with speed for around 10 years so I'm back at home trying to get my act together, it's my last chance from her as I have put her thru enough misery.

Also it's for financial reasons. I have twins on the way with my ex S/O and I need to save as much money as I can for when they are born, also to buy things for their arrival.

Some days I wish I was'nt here, but on the whole I need to be, I know I risk losing everything if I use speed again, and this envrionment gives me some stability.

But I hate the fucking cockatiels. hahahaha

i moved back home at the start of the year after living with other people for 3 years. i needed to get myself out of a bad situation and being back at home under the watchful eye of my parents seemed like the easiest option.

it was pretty hard when i first got back as i didn't have the same level of freedom when i lived out of home. but having said that, i pretty much do as i please, i come and go as i please and my parents just ask that i ring to tell them if i'm not coming home, which i usually do if i remember.

i help around the house much more than i did when i was younger, i cook about half the week and do cleaning and washing. i pay board sporadically which my parents put into an account for me so that i'll have bond and such saved for when i move out.

i get on wonderfully with my parents so it's not so bad living here, it just pisses me off when dad questions my drinking habits 8( but i know he's just looking out for me.

but i think a year is more than enough for me, i'll be moving out again next year :D

i moved out at 18....

now i bought my own place, and due to problems with dad, my mum and brother have moved in....

and its worse than when i live at home...

i can't even have my girlfriend stay over, because mum feels "uncomfortable.."

^^^^^^ Thats a bummer man..........If it helps.......I have a spare room that my mates often use for that sort of thing...........I just go for a drive or a walk or whatever.......your welcome............lol.

muzby said:
i moved out at 18....

now i bought my own place, and due to problems with dad, my mum and brother have moved in....

and its worse than when i live at home...

i can't even have my girlfriend stay over, because mum feels "uncomfortable.."

it'd probably be the same if your mum wanted to bring a boyfriend over, it'd make you feel uncomfortable... right?

and she did put up with you in the house for 18 years so I guess now it's your turn :D

I still live at home. I'm 17, and if I want I have the choice to move out. But choose not to. As of next year My parents will be moving to Melbourne and leaving the house to me. I'll either be living with a friend, or my Aunty will be moving in. I like living at home because it's where my family is, and it's not just any other house... It's home.