• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Lithium & LSD - New Experience - What Happened to my Brain?

sigmundfloyd25

Bluelighter
I has very extensive experience with psychedelics, LSD, mushrooms, 2C-X's, DXM, N20, DMT, 5-meo, Bufotonin, Ketamine, MDMA, amanitas, ect. all in extensive combinations, and the farthest I has ever been was with Lithium and LSD and Lithium and mushrooms. These three trips were by far the most powerful and life changing experiences of my life. i wonder what went on in my brain those nights, seeing as lithium and psychedelics are basically opposite in their effects. To my knowledge our understanding of the way lithium functions in the brain is little to none. Could anybody make an educated guess as to what was happening in my brain on a chemical level and how this may have translated into the extreme psychological experience? Or why this combination is so ego shattering? Let me know if this thread should be moved to advanced drug discussion.

My girlfriend at the time and two other friends arrived in the morning on Columbus Day. We planned to take the acid at my house since we had no school and my mom would be at work all day. This was my second time takings LSD. I had already taken my Lithium and two tabs before everyone arrived, each of my friends took one and my girlfriend was the sober ‘sitter’ since she was hesitant to try LSD. The drug took hold fast and colors became heavily distorted within twenty minutes of ingestion. I had no idea the drug was reacting with my medication, and at first my friends thought that I must be over exaggerating. We sat out in the grass for a few moments to relax. The sound of the wind in the trees became transformed into the roar of a great waterfall. “Do you guys hear that water?” I said. “No” they told me I must be imaging it. Soon I was struck by the idea that everyone else could hear everything I was thinking. This may be because I lacked the ability to separate my internal dialogue from what I meant to say out loud. The lines between internal and external started to vanish. At this point I became mute and did not say anything for about four hours.
I got up from the lawn and started to wander. I directed the group with strange hand movements and did not speak. This is very evident of a condition called a ‘dissociative fugue state’ which is documented to occur when Lithium is taken in conjunction with LSD. The Dissociative fugue is characterized by a complete abandonment of personal identity, memories, personality and other identifying characteristics of individuality. The subject may have the impulse to wander and be completely unaware of what they’re doing. The condition is similar to amnesia but is spontaneous in nature and usually not permanent. I think this condition provided me with the most transpersonal experience of my life as the boundaries of my ego were completely destroyed and I was forced to merge with the outside world.
Soon I was completely lost in the woods and my friends realized I wasn’t kidding and really had no idea where I was going. My friends lead me back to the apartment, and as we walked back the intensity of my condition escalated. I was struck with an apocalyptic terror and thought that I smelled ammonia. Somehow I ended up in the car and my girlfriend drove us all to the park. I don’t remember the car ride at all. When we arrived at the park my hallucinations were so vivid that I couldn’t see the world around me at all. I was lost in fluxuating light and vortexes of energy. As my friends spoke their voices sounded chopped up as if they spoke through a fan. At this point my emotions began to swing back and forth between two extremes at a startling speed. I’m told that my facial expressions oscillated between terror and bliss in intervals of only a couple minutes.
I remember vividly one feeling that lasted only a moment although to me it seemed to extend forever on some other plane. I felt myself merge with the entire universe; energy seemed to pull me up towards the sky. I had the feeling of eternal bliss. This feeling was so self evident, so undeniable, so divine and infinite that I would never again be able to deny the boundless potential of the universe. I was thrown far beyond the boundaries of mortality. Thoughts like ‘will I ever come down’ or ‘am I dying’ seemed petty and meaningless in the light of this experience. This blissful moment was of course followed by waves of pure horror as I watched myself vanish into a churning oblivion. I felt so ashamed that I had doubted this infinite power for so long. It was a cleansing of sorts and forced me to verify a force inside myself that I now think of as my spirit.
My friends soon brought me back to the apartment because I was unable to be in public. The next episode of the trip was the strangest and most unexplainable. My girlfriend helped me into the shower to calm me down. I was shaking and could only say “Can we please calm down guys” over and over. I undressed and got into the shower. The patterns on the tiles of the bath flickered violently and I had the sensation of being electrocuted by some cosmic energy. My body started to twitch and I think that this may have been a mild seizure considering other reports of this drug combination usually describe seizures. What happened next I have yet to fully understand. As I got out of the shower my girlfriend helped me tie a towel around my waste. I became a whirling dervish, a member of the Turkish religious order. Visions from other cultures around the world and throughout history possessed me. I had a vision of a swastika and began to move my arms in a certain way that made it rotate. It was then that the name of Carl Jung entered my mind, the first solid word that came to me. The swastika became a three dimensional knot which would represent a Celtic like symbol. Frantically I tried to draw the pattern on a pamphlet with a sharpie. Later I discovered the swastika was an ancient Buddhist symbol of unity.

I did mushrooms with Lithium on two other occasions with similar results, once at a campfire in the woods and once at the museum of science in Boston ( that was very overwhelming) Sometimes I;m tempted to repeat the experiment but it seems like a very dangerous idea.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_lsd
substancecode_lysergamides
substancecode_lithium
_combo_
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
exptype_spiritual
exptype_lifechanging
exptype_healthissues
exptype_bodyload
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Sounds safer to skip the lithium and just eat extra LSD though, doesn't it?

I've taken very large doses of LSD, up to 8 strong hits, and taken heavy LSD doses in conjunction with other psychedelics and have never achieved this state again. It's very rare that i lose control on psychedelics, the worst i usually get is confusion when i'm having conversations with people. This combination made me completely lose control. Its something about the lithium that made the trip so profound.

trust me you can lose control on LSD or mushrooms alone those 8 hits must not have been enough

It's different though, the Lithium fundamentally changed the effects of the drugs somehow. It added an extremely powerful dissociative/ depersonalized effect . I know that this can happen on large doses of psychedelics alone, but in almost all circumstances I can suppress the experience to a manageable level, but this combination it was impossible. I don't mean to brag but I've handled very heavy doses of psychedelics in crazy combination's in some very stressful situations without too much of a problem. This combination is different.

I would make my own thread but I'll try just replying in yours. I say this because I just finished a trip with my girlfriend and the 2 hits that I took felt MUCH, MUCH stronger than should have on only 2 hits.

The difference? I am on lithium now, along with equetro and wellbutrin for bipolar disorder.

I now can say that, the effect with the lithium was much stronger and potent feeling; the aural hallucinations I was having were simply ridiculous. This is nothing I have ever experienced and I have also done most of the drugs you named - all the lysergics, dmt, dxm, salvia, doc, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

This topic interests me b/c I am on Li2CO3 and may be attending a 4 day festival in 2 weeks where I may have the opportunity to ingest lsd or mushrooms. After hearing your stories, I don't know if I want to try that or not, but then again I feel the same way about tripping on acid or shrooms to begin with, only to a lesser degree.

Anyone have any experience with DMT plus lithium?
Thanks in advance.

Sweet guys you get a free seizure when you combine lithium and LSD, this is better than flashback and being perma-fried!

Seriously I am glad you had a life changing trip but this combination is quite dangerous and should be avoided. LSD should be avoided period if you have bipolar unless you place no value on being able to interact in society. Trust me it is almost a sure bet that psychedelics will worsen bipolar disorders, LSD in particular.

Also seizure and no joke, they can kill you. Not to mention trigger all kinds of other cognitive and emotional problems after they occur. This is a very dangerous combination you are playing with here. I hope you will refrain from doing it in the future, if for no other reason than out of respect for the people you are with. Watching your friends seize up while tripping balls is really no fun at all.

yeah, I was reading up on Lithium + LSD earlier today actually, and supposedly the combination can be dangerous. I wouldn't want to risk it again. I know that you said you have taken high doses, but maybe try to take like 20 hits and see if you have similar effects. Your 8 hits might have been good, but maybe not enough to reach the saturation point.

I wonder if the Lithium potentiates the LSD or changes the nature of the trip somehow. And like the above poster said, be careful with psychs + bipolar disorder. Whenever I tell people about LSD, I tell them about how safe it is, EXCEPT that it can seriously fuck you up if you have any underlying (or diagnosed) mental problems. I don't want to tell you not to do LSD, because it can be very rewarding, but just be careful whatever you do.

Lithium is nasty stuff which can bugger the kidneys due to Li+ substituting for Na+ in the nephrons. It also alters nerve conduction via the same alkali ion erpacemnt effect (plays havoc with Na+/K+ ATPase if I recall correctly).

Best avoided unless it's the last resort for management of bipolar/manic depression

very helpful thread. i poured my lithium prescription down the drain last summer when i first heard of the risks when used in conjunction with lsd.

i poured my lithium prescription down the drain last summer when i first heard of the risks when used in conjunction with lsd.

I love this quote!
Most "respectable" people would be shocked that you chose to lose the lithium, and keep using LSD, but many people here probably understand.

What happened next I have yet to fully understand. As I got out of the shower my girlfriend helped me tie a towel around my waste. I became a whirling dervish, a member of the Turkish religious order. Visions from other cultures around the world and throughout history possessed me. I had a vision of a swastika and began to move my arms in a certain way that made it rotate. It was then that the name of Carl Jung entered my mind, the first solid word that came to me. The swastika became a three dimensional knot which would represent a Celtic like symbol. Frantically I tried to draw the pattern on a pamphlet with a sharpie. Later I discovered the swastika was an ancient Buddhist symbol of unity.

This also happened to me, on my first time doing shrooms (not combined with anything else). I became Turkish, started speaking in a Turkish accent, whirled through different cultures/traveled throughout history. It was my first time doing a hallucinogen in general, and I experienced COMPLETE ego-loss-- I blended into the universe and couldn't distinguish where my own identity began and ended.

After the fact, I was mostly just very confused about becoming Turkish... interesting to know I'm not alone. I was very shocked to see that someone else had experienced this, and created a bluelight account just so I could reply.

Last edited:
i have a question regarding this if i could post it - a buddy and I were planning on dropping two hits of lsd in ten or eleven hours; i take lithium daily, but will have been off of it for 27-29 hours by the time i... might eat the acid. exactly how safe does this sound, and what would the risks be?

i have a question regarding this if i could post it - a buddy and I were planning on dropping two hits of lsd in ten or eleven hours; i take lithium daily, but will have been off of it for 27-29 hours by the time i... might eat the acid. exactly how safe does this sound, and what would the risks be?

You might be interested in reading this.

I wouldn't recommend doing this again.. I was with some friends a few weeks ago at a sleepover and they had both dropped acid and one of my friends who was also taking lithium (we didn't know that) started having a bad trip and had a ton of mini seizures and died about 11 hours later. The acid wasn't tainted so they're assuming it was just the combination of acid and lithium, but I wouldn't try it again

I would think with lithium being an anti psychotic it would diminish the hallucinogenic effects just curious about this since I take lithium and effexor which is an snri but I'm trying dmt and thinking with dmt acting on separate receptors then seratonin or neurotransmitter I should be okay?

This doesn't mean you can try DMT and you "should be ok". Please read the whole thread, people are saying that Lithium might do the opposite of diminish hallucinogenic effects. My suggestion is to not try these things together, if at all. Have you done DMT already when not on Li?

Lithium does NOT work like other antipsychotic meds. It crosses the membrane and goes INSIDE cells where it alters how electricity acts for each neuron. What do receptors for serotonin and/or dmt have to do with that?