Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

List your current top five favorite directors and your favorite films by them.

movie:

cohen brothers (fargo)
larry clark (bully)

tv:
producers/directors
ron howard(arrested development)
larry david (curb your enthusiasm)

Cohen Bros
Martin Scorsese
Terry Gilliam
David Lynch
Stanley Kubrick

Ridley Scott - Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) - hard choice though, I freakin love all his films.
David Fincher - Zodiac
Michael Mann - Heat
Cameron Crowe - Almost Famous
The last one I am having trouble with...it's sort of a tie for the last spot between Spielberg and James Cameron...for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Aliens respectively - two of the best action films ever made

^We have similar taste my friend :)

The only one I don't particularly agree with is Cameron Crowe being on your list. Don't get me wrong he is a decent director but compared to the others on your list he seems out of place and well... less prestigious?

Last edited:
^I've seen Sunshine like over ten times. Fascinating movie. Although at the end it does kind of turn into a horror flick which was a little disappointing but other than that it is an awesome movie.

i've heard a few people complain about the ending. how would you have ended it?

alasdair

without a monster at least. i like the idea of that story becoming horrific, but less manifested in a physical form the way it does.

i've heard a few people complain about the ending. how would you have ended it?

alasdair

IMO the idea of someone going crazy on the trip is fine I got no problems with that. But I dunno I guess it could have been a little more subtle. To be perfectly honest I found the whole finding Icarus I scene kind of far fetched. I mean I know the ship had plenty of supplies and oxygen and everything but the guys skin was pretty much falling off his body how could he have survived for years without medical attention? Again I love the film but certain parts I found disappointing. As for how I would end it I would still go for the catastrophic ship malfunction scenario but not have it caused by the cosmonaut. I liked the whole sacrificing himself scene where he dives into the sun and him looking onto the surface of the sun with awe. I wouldn't change that scene at all as it displays a kind of admiration and respect for the beauty of nature and by far the best scene in the film.

without a monster at least. i like the idea of that story becoming horrific, but less manifested in a physical form the way it does.

I think it would have made a better story if they actually showed one of the crew members going crazy and see him/her change from someone committed to the mission to someone bent on ending the existence of life on earth. I dunno maybe something like a mutiny scenario instead of some psycho sneaking aboard the ship. That way its someone they have known for a long time and trust suddenly having a existential crisis. That would IMO have steered the film away from horror movie cliche to something a little more original.

i reckon they could have played up on the sun's gravity's affect on time and consciousness, in order to cover a maddening better than another cabin fever situation. however, i'm with you, the movie was great up until that point. few films have gotten me from utterly absorbed to completely disinterested in such a sort timeframe.

Stanley Kubrick - The Shining
Paul Verhoeven - The Fourth Man
David Cronenberg - Naked Lunch
Roman Polanski - The Tenant
Ridley Scott - Alien
Jean-Luc Godard - Sauve qui peut (la vie)
Robert Altman - Cookie's Fortune
Clint Eastwood - Bridges of Madison County
P.T Anderson - Boogie Nights
John Carpenter - Vampires
G.A. Romero - Dawn of the Dead
Eric Rohmer - Conte d'Eté
Bertrand Blier - Buffet Froid

-to be completed

^ buffet froid is a great film.
To be perfectly honest I found the whole finding Icarus I scene kind of far fetched. I mean I know the ship had plenty of supplies and oxygen and everything but the guys skin was pretty much falling off his body how could he have survived for years without medical attention?
it doesn't seem odd to you to suspend your disbelief of the film's ridiculous context - sending a nuclear bomb the size of manhattan to restart the sun - yet you nitpick the length of time an injured character could survive without medical attention? :)

i think the movie can be enjoyed just as well by interpreting the events towards the end less literally...
instead of some psycho sneaking aboard the ship.
he wasn't just some psycho - he was one of the crew members going crazy and changing from someone committed to the mission to someone bent on ending the existence of life on earth. sound familiar? :)

alasdair

it doesn't seem odd to you to suspend your disbelief of the film's ridiculous context - sending a nuclear bomb the size of manhattan to restart the sun - yet you nitpick the length of time an injured character could survive without medical attention?

i think the movie can be enjoyed just as well by interpreting the events towards the end less literally...

It is indeed a ridiculous concept for one thing the sun can't die out the way they portrayed it. As I recall from my astronomy class the sun will eventually turn into a red giant so the sun losing its luminosity is hardly believable but I had no problem with that. I had no problem with suspending my disbelief until they found Pinbacker on board their ship. That's when I kind of started saying WTF? That's when IMO the movie went from being really cool and somewhat original to being something of a standard horror movie. But again that is just my opinion. I still like the movie its just one thing I didn't like about it. The ending was fantastic I just didn't like how they lead up to it.

he wasn't just some psycho - he was one of the crew members going crazy and changing from someone committed to the mission to someone bent on ending the existence of life on earth. sound familiar?

Yes quite. If you had read my entire post above you would find that I said IMO it would have been a better story if they had actually shown the process of a crew member losing it and turn into the Pinbacker character. Instead of introducing him the way they did I personally would have preferred if they showed why and how such a thing could happen to someone originally so committed to someone so willing to sacrifice the earth for his twisted belief system.

Paul Verhoeven - The Fourth Man
Ridley Scott - Alien
Robert Altman - Cookie's Fortune
Clint Eastwood - Bridges of Madison County
P.T Anderson - Boogie Nights
John Carpenter - Vampires
Eric Rohmer - Conte d'Eté
Bertrand Blier - Buffet Froid

Cool list loulou. Went kind of beyond the five limit but what the hell. Perhaps I should add more to mine as well.

Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Clint Eastwood - Letters from Iwo Jima
Quentin Tarantino - Inglorious Basterds
Andrew Dominik - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Coen Brothers - No Country for Old Men

It is indeed a ridiculous concept for one thing the sun can't die out the way they portrayed it. As I recall from my astronomy class the sun will eventually turn into a red giant so the sun losing its luminosity is hardly believable but I had no problem with that. I had no problem with suspending my disbelief until they found Pinbacker on board their ship. That's when I kind of started saying WTF? That's when IMO the movie went from being really cool and somewhat original to being something of a standard horror movie. But again that is just my opinion. I still like the movie its just one thing I didn't like about it. The ending was fantastic I just didn't like how they lead up to it.

Those are pretty much the same complaints I have about Sunshine.

^Yeah almost everyone I know says the same thing. They love the film up until that point. Personally I think Danny Boyle peaked as a director with Trainspotting and 28 Days Later. Slumdog Millionaire was good but IMO not his best work.

Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood
Clint Eastwood - Letters from Iwo Jima
Quentin Tarantino - Inglorious Basterds
Andrew Dominik - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Coen Brothers - No Country for Old Men

Good list. I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima yet. I've actually heard it was kind of boring. I will see it eventually though and decide for myself.

Cool list loulou. Went kind of beyond the five limit but what the hell. Perhaps I should add more to mine as well.

Sorry, I kind of bypassed the limit :D

So, here's my top five:

;)

Paul Thomas Anderson - Magnolia
Sam Mendes - American Beauty
David Fincher - Se7en
Frank Darabont - Shawshank Redemption
Milos Forman - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ...

Yes quite. If you had read my entire post above you would find that I said IMO it would have been a better story if they had actually shown the process of a crew member losing it and turn into the Pinbacker character. Instead of introducing him the way they did I personally would have preferred if they showed why and how such a thing could happen to someone originally so committed to someone so willing to sacrifice the earth for his twisted belief system.
i kind of like it when directors don't simply spoon-feed plot to the audience but leave some questions unanswered and some lines to be filled in by the audience themselves.

alasdair