Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

List your current top five favorite directors and your favorite films by them.

yeah fair enough. i fucking hate anything of bay, and have made it well known many times here. i was only using the comparison in term of cliche, but you're right, they are certainly not on the same level at all.

i'm iffy about your use of "technical masters ... [of the] craft". anyone who can turn a profit on film could claim this, regardless of actual creative talent.

^I edited some of the post so reread it as I changed some of my positions (Not much but still)

i'm iffy about your use of "technical masters ... [of the] craft". anyone who can turn a profit on film could claim this, regardless of actual creative talent.

Not necessarily true. I have discovered recently from watching interviews with directors like Martin Scorsese and James Cameron that most of todays directors don't even know how a camera works. In view of this knowledge I think its fair to say that compared to the rest a director that actually takes the time to know their equipment and further develop their equipment and use it masterfully should be considered an expert/master.

yeah fair enough. i fucking hate anything of bay, and have made it well known many times here. i was only using the comparison in term of cliche, but you're right, they are certainly not on the same level at all.

Yeah Bay is pretty much garbage especially nowadays. The only film I still enjoy directed by him is The Rock and that has more to do with Sean Connery than anything else.

fuck george lucas.

i went from avid fan, sporting a bantha skull symbol cliche tattoo on my shoulder, ala boba fett, to so jaded with the franchise i never bothered to walk literally two blocks down the road to see sets and shit on display from it (i live on the same street as the powerhouse museum). the exhibition ran for months and i didn't bother with the five minute walk once.

the only life the star wars name has had in years was the superb genddy tartakovski microseries. better than the prequels in ot spirit for sure.

Yeah Bay is pretty much garbage especially nowadays. The only film I still enjoy directed by him is The Rock and that has more to do with Sean Connery than anything else.

I like the interplay between Cusack and Connery. The Rock is actually pretty cool. It had some impressive action scenes, a plot that progressed in an observably understandable and logical way, and some entertaining banter between charismatic leading men.

Transformers was terrible (2 and 3 were horrific). I don't need to explain this though.

I like the interplay between Cusack and Connery.

I think you mean Cage and Connery. John Cusack was in Con Air which feels like a Michael Bay film but is actually directed by Simon West.

Transformers was terrible (2 and 3 were horrific). I don't need to explain this though.

At least the first Transformers was coherent and made sense plot wise. I don't even remember Transformers 2 as I kind of zoned out 20 or so minutes in. And 3 made no sense whatsoever and relied way too heavily on 3D.

fuck george lucas.

i went from avid fan, sporting a bantha skull symbol cliche tattoo on my shoulder, ala boba fett, to so jaded with the franchise i never bothered to walk literally two blocks down the road to see sets and shit on display from it (i live on the same street as the powerhouse museum). the exhibition ran for months and i didn't bother with the five minute walk once.

the only life the star wars name has had in years was the superb genddy tartakovski microseries. better than the prequels in ot spirit for sure.

Seriously dude. I think the Star Wars franchise is doing ok in the video game world however. I dunno if you play PC games but Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel are awesome not just as games but has great storytelling and really delves into the world. I'm also really looking forward to the new online game coming out on Christmas.

All that aside yeah Lucas needs to stop making films. I think the worst Lucas debacle is not actually any Star Wars film but Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Seriously if Jar Jar made me cry tears of rage his and Spielbergs raping of Indiana made me want jump out of a fucking window in grief over the death of my childhood memories :X Seriously the original three (yes even the second one) were awesome movies about adventure and the wonders of history. They even made me want to become an Archeologist when I was a kid. But the minute they brought up aliens I just checked out.

Seriously ALIENS?!?!?!?! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would recommend you to see Le Mépris (Contempt) or Vivre sa vie ;)
Le mepris is one of my favorite godard movies. but of those two, definitely watch Vivre sa vie first. bardot is pretty much playing anna karina --and does a wonderful job-- in Le mepris. i think seeing a few anna & godard movies first would immensely increase your ability to appreciate it.

edit:
oh, and if you have netflix, their instant copy of Une femme est une femme is screwed up; the image is crushed and stretched in some weird way. and as so much of the movie is its pop-art aesthetic, you don't want that. worth it to find and rent the criterion dvd. i see all these distorted screencaps on tumblr from that movie, and i know it is because people are making them using the netflix instant version. what a shame.

Last edited:
I think you mean Cage and Connery. John Cusack was in Con Air which feels like a Michael Bay film but is actually directed by Simon West.

Nah I was thinking of The Rock, I just completely forgot it was Cage not Cusack.

And yes Cusack was in Con Air, but Cage was the main guy in that as well. Eh. I think I need to get to bed earlier.

I really like Cage, anyway.

Sorry for the late post lol.

But thanks Hydro and loulou for the suggestions. First chance I get I'm gonna rent me a Goddard film.

david lynch: mulholland drive, wild at heart
woody allen: annie hall, sleeper
stanley kunrick: full metal jacket, a clockwork orange
robert altman: images, three women
gregg araki: mysterious skin, doom generation

1. Alfred Hitchcock - Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho, Rear Window, The 39 Steps
2. F.W. Murnau - Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, The Last Laugh, Nosferatu, Faust, Tabu: A Story of the South Seas
3. Stanley Kubrick - 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Paths of Glory, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining
4. Billy Wilder - Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Apartment, Witness For the Prosecution, The Lost Weekend
5. Akira Kurosawa - Rashomon, Ikiru, Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. John Ford - The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, Stagecoach, How Green Was My Valley, Fort Apache
7. Fritz Lang - M, Metropolis, The Woman In The Window, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried, The Big Heat
8. Charlie Chaplin - City Lights, The Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Kid, The Great Dictator
9. David Lynch - The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Lost Highway
10. David Lean - Brief Encounter, Lawrence of Arabia, Great Expectations, Bridge on the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago

Spike Jonze
Cohen Bros.
David Lynch
Terry Gillam
Darren Aronofsky

Those are the three that I have enjoyed the most over the years. Better directors are out their but I like these for my personal tastes. Art is subjective and that’s how I feel right now. I cant choose one movie for each of them. Spike is at the top of my list for Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, two of my favorite movies.