• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants lisdexamphetamine vs. dextroamphetamine

ongos

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed Vyvanse but this kicks in rather slow. Should I be on Dexedrine? I'm getting ready for school and have no time to be waiting 2 hours for something to kick in.

What could boost the effects of Vyvanse? Is it ok to take the 9 essential amino acids with it? Although there is a warning that no one should take it while on MAOI, levodopa, antipsychotic and antidepressant. I would assume MAOI and levodopa raises dopamine like amphetamines do so I'd think those 2 at least should be avoided to avoid too much dopamine rush? I don't take MAOI or levodopa so I should be fine?

Last edited:
If you're planning on taking supplements, your doctor knows better than anyone if its okay. He/she is the one you should be asking. Why do you feel that you need levodopa? I would caution against that combination. Do you have parkinsons disease?

If I were you I'd tell your doctor if you're not feeling as much symptom relief as you think should be present. In my experience, Adderall was a much more effective medicine than Vyvanse. On Vyvanse, I experienced relief from symptoms for a few hours, followed by a prolonged come-down. For some reason (perhaps increased abuse potential?) doctors are loathe to prescribe Dexedrine. I really think you should try a non-stimulant for your disorder but I know you're not going to listen to me. One of my friends is prescribed amphetamine; he is very happy for the first few days after he gets his script because he abuses the shit out of it. For the other ~25 days of the month he's a mess. Best to stay away...

Some antipsychotics are not safe to combine stimulants with. Most are. The combination is probably more common than the industry would like to admit.

Stimulants and SSRIs or other antidepressants isn't unheard of, but the combination could produce serotonin syndrome in the susceptible.

Some people are prescribed MAOIs and stimulants, but at really low doses at first to make sure that they don't have a stroke and die. So this combination is 100% out of the question unless a super experienced and reputable doctor takes it upon themself to prescribe it.

Whoever said I need or want l-dopa? Why are doctors loathed for prescribing Dexedrine? I don't get that part. Just because it is the old version of Vyvanse (technically) it gets viewed as a has been? Kinda like Adderall is the one being pushed on people so is Vyvanse just because they are "new". I would think Desoxyn (meth) is pharmacologically effective yet sociologically looked down on (due to stigma). Maybe the new prescription racemic amphetamine called Evekeo has potential and may get pushed on people soon. Who knows.

I think that was pretty well implied...

I don't know because I'm not a doctor, but Vyvanse has a better therapeutic potential than Dexedrine from what I can concur, just without potential for abuse. Also, drugs on patent tend to get prescribed because doctors can gain benefits.

Adderall is no longer on patent. From my experience, it works better than Vyvanse or Dexedrine.

Desoxyn is only for very treatment-resistant people with ADHD/narcolepsy. Just because it's a pharmaceutical, doesn't mean it can't damage the brain, even by a therapeutic dose. This is the first I've heard of Evekeo. Because it has less dextroamphetamine (percentage-wise) than other stimulant medicines, it might be less addictive. But I don't know.

You'll be surprised how little docs know actually. Even my own had no idea what Evekeo is when I mentioned it to him (it came out this year, 2015). Some of them are way behind the times due to obligations professionally and personally, while I have all the time on my hands.

Any "benefits" to the doctor sounds as if both the doc and the patented pharmaceutical are in bed together. Doesn't look right to me...

I'm not sure I like the profile of Adderall as it has levo amphetamine which what causes the physical side effects (pounding heart rate, etc.) whereas dextro amphetamine are more psychological side effects.

Evekeo is racemic amphetamine which means it is 50/50 dextro/levo whereas Adderall is 75 dextro/25 levo. Evekeo only comes in 5 and 10 mg dosages.

I'm not sure if I were even implying I wanted to use l-dopa. I know little about it actually other than it is for Alzheimer's. I was reading a bottle of my 9 essential amino acid supplement about the warning not to take it when on l-dopa (which boosts dopamine). So my assumption here is that since Vyvanse boosts dopamine, should I be careful taking amino acids since one of the amino acid (phenylalanine) boosts dopamine levels? The supplement warning never stated anything about avoiding it while on amphetamine but only if on MAOI, levodopa, antipsychotic/antidepressant, which is why I'm assuming...

I think that was pretty well implied...

I don't know because I'm not a doctor, but Vyvanse has a better therapeutic potential than Dexedrine from what I can concur, just without potential for abuse. Also, drugs on patent tend to get prescribed because doctors can gain benefits.

Adderall is no longer on patent. From my experience, it works better than Vyvanse or Dexedrine.

Desoxyn is only for very treatment-resistant people with ADHD/narcolepsy. Just because it's a pharmaceutical, doesn't mean it can't damage the brain, even by a therapeutic dose. This is the first I've heard of Evekeo. Because it has less dextroamphetamine (percentage-wise) than other stimulant medicines, it might be less addictive. But I don't know.

I'm not sure I like the profile of Adderall as it has levo amphetamine which what causes the physical side effects (pounding heart rate, etc.) whereas dextro amphetamine are more psychological side effects.

This is actually playground rumor more than anything: levo amphetamine is still only 10% as effective as dextro amphetamine at releasing norepinephrine. That is to say, it's inactive filler, rather than a cause of side effects. Racemic amphetamine is actually more effective than you'd expect.

Dextroamphetamine will still make you sweaty, twitchy, elevate blood pressure etc.

You don't want to take L-DOPA with amphetamines because normally your body limits the conversion of phenylalanine to LDOPA. If you eat phenylalanine you'll be fine but if you eat DOPA it will get converted to dopamine, mostly in your periphery and outside the brain, and then you get wierd side effects.

Would using those OTC nasal decongestant levo work OK when on pure dextro? You may not know exactly. Just asking anyway.

Yup been curious about racemic. The great mathematician Paul Erdos sure loved the racemic Benzedrine. I think Evekeo has potential.

I feel as if Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) is not as consistent as I'd like it to be, but I neither know what "consistency" means as it is the only amphetamine I have experience with. It would be nice if I could use them all to see what sticks and what I feel is "consistent". I'm sure methylated dextroamphetamine (i.e. meth/Desoxyn), is the king of all stimulants, but I'm aware of the addictive properties of it. I know how to back out of something though. =D

I think I read that all amphetamines release both norepinephrine and dopamine equally as both neurotransmitter exist in equal amounts.

Are you saying phenylalanine converts to L-dopa or not (limits it? what does that mean? inhibits it?)? Should I avoid phenylalanine then while on Vyvanse? In case you didn't know, d-phenylalanine has euphoriant properties, while the common l-phenylalanine is more of an appetite suppressant. DL-phenylalanine may be the best of both worlds, but I need no appetite suppressant, just something to boost my confidence level (i.e. be in a euphoric state, not delusional state).

This is actually playground rumor more than anything: levo amphetamine is still only 10% as effective as dextro amphetamine at releasing norepinephrine. That is to say, it's inactive filler, rather than a cause of side effects. Racemic amphetamine is actually more effective than you'd expect.

Dextroamphetamine will still make you sweaty, twitchy, elevate blood pressure etc.

You don't want to take L-DOPA with amphetamines because normally your body limits the conversion of phenylalanine to LDOPA. If you eat phenylalanine you'll be fine but if you eat DOPA it will get converted to dopamine, mostly in your periphery and outside the brain, and then you get wierd side effects.

Last edited: