Liquid Drum & Bass Megathread

do by any chance you guys also like Trance? i love classic trance, liquid dnb reminds me of trancey-ness

What do you think of progressive house? Sorta stuff like this. Always thought this sort of thing would appeal to people that were fans of liquid.

massive fan of progressive house =D infact all types of house. loving electro house at the moment

fucking love B-Complex - It's a funny world! first time ive heard that. amazing

Liquid is definitely pretty easy to distinguish from other D&B styles.

I dunno, I find there is a lot of stratification within the genre. Many neophyte producers are mashing liquid with jump-up to push it to the clubs and a lot of the older heads have steered their own versions of the liquid sound more toward downtempo. It seems pretty hard to classify new liquid as a result.

If a stranger were to ask me how I define liquid, I'd probably tell them to have a look at the collections of Spearhead or Metalheadz. I wouldn't say I particularly like all that they release, but those two labels often represent the best producers in the liquid realm. Speaking of which, Spearhead's founder BCee recently released an album entitled Beat The System and I have the feeling it will go down as one of the top 5 liquid albums of the year, if not simply the best.

I'm glad someone in this thread recognized the talents of Command Strange, as well. He is a playlist favorite of mine because of the way he delicately maneuvers sombre jazz into disarmingly heavy basslines. In a genre that's become saturated with talentless hacks, it's very satisfying to hear music that relies on no remix for perfection.

Having said all that, I'm sure some disagree with my definition of liquid as much as I might disagree with theirs, so maybe we'd have a funny time trying to classify each other's playlist :)

Nice thread and steller post above.

:)

I like some of what I have heard for sure. I would be down to know more stratifications of this tight sub-genre.

I'll say something about it while I drink my coffee here, but keep in mind this opinion is subject to my own tastes:

Liquid originally spun out of a House music and wasn't really defined well until Hospital Records started up and really began to nail down the signature sound that liquid came to be largely identified as. That really shaped the contemporary image of what liquid is, since the new "kings" of liquid such as Netsky and Fred V were influenced primarily by Hospital. They in turn spawned a generation of producers suffering from the impression that you just have to be born in Europe in a house with a computer with an internet connection to make awesome liquid choonz!

Anyway, I digress. House itself had different flavours which it lent to the modern liquid soundscape, so the evolution of liquid really harkens back even further to the big band sounds that influenced soul and funk, which in turn influenced disco music, subsequently influencing house music and ultimately liquid. Because the primordial sounds that shaped all this started with LIVE instruments before computers were even around, it makes sense to classify any dnb that incorporates live string, horn and bass samples as liquid.

For people like myself, who grew up listening to early disco which was heavily influenced by funk/soul, it's important to hear live instrument samples in my liquid. Blaring horns, sweeping string melodies and some bass slap is where it's at! For people who grew up with more modern club influences, on the other hand, the electronica roots are more relevant so those people identify liquid more with euphoric synth melodies rather than soul and funk samples. It all depends on where your own musical influences originate from, but as far as liquid funk goes these two sounds are the ones that, for the most part, make the genre.

I say "for the most part" because there's a resurgence lately of the happy hardcore influence which plays well at the club with the euphoric liquid. Take this recent release as an example of that. Happy New Year to the candy raver in you ;)

Liquid dnb is growing on me a fair bit now.

I never really enjoyed it but then i started to listen to it when i was getting stoned, and it was something different i can hear it differently,

Ever since then its my preffered thing to listen to when stoned,

its quite good on ket too, the break/reverby sounds can help steer you into a k hole lol

BCee - So Right (ft Darrison)
Blu Mar Ten - Sweet Little Supernova (feat. Rochelle Parker)
Nu:Tone - Beatnik
Calibre - Broken
Young Ax - System of Survival
Random Movement - Can't Resist (S.P.Y Remix)
Muffler - Can You Feel
Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line (S.P.Y Remix)
Crimean Feat. Suree - Hold On (Oceanic State Remix)
Capsika - Unrequited Love
Nu:Tone - Balaclava
Joe Syntax - Leave Your World Behind
Unquote & Molecular Structures - Lubov Moya

Looks like plenty of record labels are really cracking down on youtube infringement. I'm going through my favorites right now.. noticing lots of videos that have been removed.. and MrSuicideSheep's channel has also been terminated! He's got a new one but he'll only be uploading free tracks - not that that's a bad thing, but.. damn!

I see my upload first in the related section but that could just be because I'm viewing from my account (the one with the cardinal as the pic)

D n A said:
Looks like plenty of record labels are really cracking down on youtube infringement. I'm going through my favorites right now.. noticing lots of videos that have been removed.. and MrSuicideSheep's channel has also been terminated! He's got a new one but he'll only be uploading free tracks - not that that's a bad thing, but.. damn!

Indeed! Sheep has had a new chan for a while now. A lot of The Upbeats remixes I've enjoyed have been removed. I just buy a lot of what I favorite on Youtube through Juno in lossless quality. For a dollar a tune, there have been some mild regrets but it's still money well spent.

It's understandable though. I just hope that the record companies who filed for infringement have Youtube accounts where they'll have the same tunes posted, like Hospital does. There's also 17tumba's channel.. one of my personal favorites :D