• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Let's talk about caffeine.

DesertHarp

Bluelighter
I'm in desperate need of a stimulant. I used to be on Ritalin to help with depression and sluggishness that was worst in the morning. I hesitate to ask my current doctor to order it. Since I'm on Vicodin, he might not want to order another "controlled substance." So I was thinking, " What about good old caffeine?"

I drink about 4 cups of coffee in a typical month. I just never was into coffee. But, all my life, I've been hearing about how the caffeine in coffee is supposed to be great for perking you up. So I'm wondering what members here might have to say about it. Bluelighters tend to be quite savvy about what a given substance does or doesn't do. Plus, those who have used various stimulants can knowledgeably compare them. So I'd like to tap into this store of experience for a bit of feedback. Is the caffeine in coffee really a significant stimulant?

Caffeine can be gotten from other sources, including OTC pills. I guess it's in some "energy" drinks also. Are there any caffeine users out there who can say it actually benefits them in a noticeable way? Exactly what do you get out of it? How much does it take to have an impact? Is there such a thing as too much?

I definitely like it unless I drink too much. Wakes me up and makes be go to the bathroom in the morning before I go anywhere, and has other health benefits

I definitely like it unless I drink too much. Wakes me up and makes be go to the bathroom in the morning before I go anywhere, and has other health benefits

Thanks for that link. I'm definitely going to give daily coffee a try.

For me, if I do too much caffeine, I find the anxiety is worse than I used to get from meth. Possibly because caffeine isn't really euphoric beyond low doses, I find.

What's too much? Hard to quantify for me. I drink a lot of black tea, but black tea is relatively low in caffeine compared with coffee. That being said, if I've had my third double-tea bag tea within 4-6 hours, I get the anxiety and sort of ill feeling kick in. Which I believe would be something like 200mg of caffeine in that period of time.

If I drink enough strong coffee in one go (~150+mg) I definitely feel tweaky and anxious.

Moderation is real.

That being said, I don't feel much from caffeine at lower doses but find a weird golden zone where I feel generally well (maybe slightly euphoric?) at higher doses, but these very easily tip over into too much where the tweakiness kicks in.
This is going to sound stupid to most people, but because I had an unpleasant history (thankfully short) with meth, I find the overuse of caffeine reminds me of that, which probably compounds the feeling of unease.

Caffeine's weird.

I'm in desperate need of a stimulant. I used to be on Ritalin to help with depression and sluggishness that was worst in the morning. I hesitate to ask my current doctor to order it. Since I'm on Vicodin, he might not want to order another "controlled substance." So I was thinking, " What about good old caffeine?"

I drink about 4 cups of coffee in a typical month. I just never was into coffee. But, all my life, I've been hearing about how the caffeine in coffee is supposed to be great for perking you up. So I'm wondering what members here might have to say about it. Bluelighters tend to be quite savvy about what a given substance does or doesn't do. Plus, those who have used various stimulants can knowledgeably compare them. So I'd like to tap into this store of experience for a bit of feedback. Is the caffeine in coffee really a significant stimulant?

Caffeine can be gotten from other sources, including OTC pills. I guess it's in some "energy" drinks also. Are there any caffeine users out there who can say it actually benefits them in a noticeable way? Exactly what do you get out of it? How much does it take to have an impact? Is there such a thing as too much?
Is synergistic with pretty much every prescription and non-prescription stimulant out there.

Are there any caffeine users out there who can say it actually benefits them in a noticeable way?
Yes, I drink 1-2 twelve ounce cups of coffee daily as opposed to drinking alcohol. It makes me more alert, energetic, and motivated. If you are using it to replace an amphetamine don't expect anywhere near the effects of an amphetamine from caffeine. Caffeine is far more subtle than even a small dose of an amphetamine.
Exactly what do you get out of it?
I don't get a "high", it is more of a subtle cognition boost. I only really notice it once I breach 200mg of caffeine. As stated previously, it makes me more alert, energetic, and motivated.
How much does it take to have an impact?
For me I notice a subtle improvement in cognition at around 80-150 mg. I usually have 150mg of caffeine twice a day in my coffee. Some people need 200-300 mg to feel anything, body weight plays a major role in determining what dose to use.
Is there such a thing as too much?
Yes, just like everything else. You can get sick if you drink too much caffeine, have a heart attack, etc. especially if you are taking other medications that alter your heart rate/ blood pressure. My brother takes Vyvanse and he can not drink coffee without getting jittery, super anxious and sweaty.

I will usually drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and then I switch to Green Tea (or celsius packets which contain Green Tea) as I find the l-theanine makes a huge difference in the way caffeine effects me.

I do enjoy a cup of coffee, but sipped through the course of three hours when you serve it in one of those thermostat cups.

With me if I drink a cup straight, I get a nice buzz for about 30 minutes, then 30 minutes of anxiety free energy. Followed by 5 hours of pure agitation, fatigue and just unease.

Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm tapering benzos or I'm just sensitive to caffeine...

But definitely one shot of espresso in in a thermo cup sipped through the course of three hours is really nice

Tea is good to drink throughout the day. such as, English breakfast or green as one member mentioned it contains L-theanine, which actually counteracts any negative side effects from the caffeine I find

I will usually drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning, and then I switch to Green Tea (or celsius packets which contain Green Tea) as I find the l-theanine makes a huge difference in the way caffeine effects me.
Does it energize or tranquilizé you?

For me, if I do too much caffeine, I find the anxiety is worse than I used to get from meth. Possibly because caffeine isn't really euphoric beyond low doses, I find.

What's too much? Hard to quantify for me. I drink a lot of black tea, but black tea is relatively low in caffeine compared with coffee. That being said, if I've had my third double-tea bag tea within 4-6 hours, I get the anxiety and sort of ill feeling kick in. Which I believe would be something like 200mg of caffeine in that period of time.

If I drink enough strong coffee in one go (~150+mg) I definitely feel tweaky and anxious.

Moderation is real.

That being said, I don't feel much from caffeine at lower doses but find a weird golden zone where I feel generally well (maybe slightly euphoric?) at higher doses, but these very easily tip over into too much where the tweakiness kicks in.
This is going to sound stupid to most people, but because I had an unpleasant history (thankfully short) with meth, I find the overuse of caffeine reminds me of that, which probably compounds the feeling of unease.

Caffeine's weird.1

I also put 2 tea bags in the mug when I make a mug of tea . . . 3 bags, if it's a big mug. That's maybe twice a week. Thanks for mentioning the mg in tea and coffee.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I'm going to experiment with caffeine. That was interesting about the theanine. I'ld never heard of that before.

The amazing thing with caffeine is that it builds very little tolerance. I can drink my two cups of coffee every day and feel exactly the same way, day after day. But stimulants, ranging from caffeine to amphetamines, behave in mysterious ways. I remember always having a cup of coffee when flying or in social settings during my teenage years, and never feeling any significant effect of the caffeine. Then, suddenly some day in my mid twenties, during a social gathering at a cafe with really good coffee, it hit. Since then, coffee has always been my favorite drug. I have never had any pleasure from caffeine pills or the substandard coffee from the coffee machine at work. It's as if you need to learn to recognize it, similarly to what can be the case with amphetamines, and the overall setting, your mood and general well-being may have an impact.