Let's Get Frank about Drug Use and Prevent Future Music Festival Tragedies

Wayne C;11821647 said:
It's so stupid that they'd shut down the festival over 1 fucking death! That is just ridiculous, I'm sure it saved them a shitload of money, greedy fux.

huh?

They are refunding all of the money for people's sunday tickets.

LuGoJ;11821746 said:
huh?

They are refunding all of the money for people's sunday tickets.

Not only that but canceling the last day is probably the last thing the people throwing the event wanted to do based on the amount of revenue they earn from concessions and merch alone. I don't know the figures but imagine how much money in beer sales one of these things makes.

Ok, maybe it wasn't for money but seems like a dumb choice overall. PPL die at festivals all the time, no reason to cancel everyone's fun over it.

Wayne C;11827531 said:
Ok, maybe it wasn't for money but seems like a dumb choice overall. PPL die at festivals all the time, no reason to cancel everyone's fun over it.

I tend to agree. Someone died the year I went to bonnaroo.

Btw Dance Safe sells a great kit. Love the new squeeze bottles.
So much easier to work with. And the reagents are always very fresh.

What gets me is the headline will demonize MDMA which is a safe chemical. Defqon just passed, resulting in 20 overdoses, 1 death which resulted from PMA, not MDMA. The media thinks every time you pop a pill its russian roulette. How many deaths and overdoses on alcohol? Oh I forgot, thats legal and responsible behaviour.

23536;11839093 said:
Are you sure the PMA thing is not a rumor?
Yeah that's an assumption, although from what I hear people were eating a day worth of gear out of fear of the police dogs at the entrance. Fucking stupid. The death and overdoses were caused by one particular pill apparently.

Nice article. If you don't get hung up on the minor details, the essential message is true as can be. It's hard to fault E Zoo for cancelling, just as it's hard to fault other festivals for continuing in spite of deaths.

Yeah, 2 out of 20,000 isn't many, but to view the deaths as a simple number, a statistic, is to completely underestimate the value of a single human life. Only two lives were ended but countless other lives, probably hundreds, were affected by the devastation of losing a loved one or a friend.

"There were 75,000 people at the Dolphins game yesterday and not a single death. How can that happen?"

-people in this thread

HighestWhenLow;11843292 said:
Nice article. If you don't get hung up on the minor details, the essential message is true as can be. It's hard to fault E Zoo for cancelling, just as it's hard to fault other festivals for continuing in spite of deaths.

Yeah, 2 out of 20,000 isn't many, but to view the deaths as a simple number, a statistic, is to completely underestimate the value of a single human life. Only two lives were ended but countless other lives, probably hundreds, were affected by the devastation of losing a loved one or a friend.
2/200, 000

Still two too many IMO man, obviously it's a complex problem with lots of grey area and I'm not tryin to have an answer exactly, just encouraging greater respect and value for human lives regardless of the details

severely etarded;11844642 said:
2/200, 000

I thought I had made a silly post, it's a meme from when memes were fun :|

edit : oh wait, you're correcting him, not rating his post....i realized it didn't make sense when i thought why didn't he divide by two

note to self : please never do this much dexedrine alone....you're being ridiculous in a lot of your online communities over 48 hours...hope the hydroxyzine will give the etizolam a kick cos I have half a 10mg valium left and I can only refill on the 28th...mehhh

23536;11843769 said:
"There were 75,000 people at the Dolphins game yesterday and not a single death. How can that happen?"

-people in this thread

in fairness NFL games are not 3 day events. The odds of tragedy go up when your body and mind is already tired from the previous days partying.

Cool that it listed Bunk police they are an awesome HR site! Sad that test kits are considered drug paraphernalia and I think that may also apply here in Australia at least in some states. As for the massive 15 pills I think when we were kids 80's/90's the early stuff was LSD and then MDMA. Most ravers never drank alcohol while on E as it made you feel nauseated. There was a lot more watch out for your friends attitude and helpful advice etc. These days it could be a dash of MDMA and heaps of PMA in a pill aka "Dr death". Kids lack education and no one at these big events seem to care about other people. Often it's all a big ego trip along with 5 mg meth pills sold as MDMA for stupid prices. What happened to "leave the ego at the door"?

2 deaths, or even just the one, is extremely tragic for a music event...man, this stuff is just so sad for me. Music is my life and it sucks that people need extra energy to enjoy something so sublime already...but then again, I almost always use weed to enhance music myself, nowadays anyway. It helps keep me cool and get into the vibes in a chill way. I love the reggae festival in Austin in April around 4/20, they legalize weed there for a few days because of the Rastafarian religion of the performers. Shit is epic.

For sure, there need to be exceptions about crossing that invisible line about talking about illegal drugs with ELECTRONIC dance/music festivals, I mean, come on, everyone in our generation KNOWS that people at these huge outdoor raves are on either MDMA, or some type of harder drug, a very high percentage of the time.

^^

First of all, Weed isn't legalized during that time because of the religion of the performers. It is likely too much of a hassle to prosecute a massive amount of people using it. Plus, it is decriminalized in Austin anyways. Second, I have listened to electronic music since I was like 12-13 and this was before I touched drugs. Some people just happen to like the music.

People just do not care all that much about weed in many places. When I living in Europe people used it pretty openly. In most Northern and North Western US cities people do not give a fuck. Not to mention that it is pretty openly smoked in college towns and inner cities. I am not saying to go out and do this, just saying that attitudes towards marijuana are shifting. And also suggesting that trying to present one type of music and morally superior to another doesn't make much sense.

crimsonjunk;11827599 said:
I tend to agree. Someone died the year I went to bonnaroo.

I went to the first two, I think at least two died the second year. Also, their was the infamous death at Wakarusa a few years back. I have been to a few individual shows and festivals where people died. I actually knew two that have (not super well, but one death was well publicized and was a dope OD)

But to be honest, people have been oding and dying at shows/festivals for a long time. The late 80s- early 90s dead shows and late 90s phish shows were just filled with tour trash = lots of ODs.

Its not just MDMA/M1, I have been to a few events in Europe but the majority of my experience is US based. Dope and Pharmies are often very accessible. Combine that with the fact they are often used during "comedowns" and combined with alcohol or other downers and you have a recipe and there you go.

To be honest, I am sure the same shit was going on from the 60s. 70s and 80s... I know I have heard enough stories from older heads to believe so.

For the record, I am pretty much out of the loop except for staying in some contact with my old crew so I do not know that much about what is going on today. The older you get, the less involved you become (well you just start being able to afford hotel rooms, drink good beer and stay out of the lot at the very least).

There was always the "synthetic mescaline" sold during my days (usually 2c-t-7. 2c-t-4, 2c-I) but this was before the MDMA "substitutes" started showing up. Dirt pressies were around, but "molly" was usually MDMA (or MDMA cut with something like Vit B).

We did have things like "Dancesafe" though... and from what I understand those just do not exist anymore.