• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe L-theanine for anxiety

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
As some of the members know that I suffer from anxiety/agoraphobia and am on 2 different benzos as prescribed (Valium & Klonopin) and also an SSRI Celexa. I have tried OTC remedies, minerals and vitamins with no great joy. Last week I bought some L-theanine capsules online, they are 200mg per capsule. Since I have started taking them they definatley work, no erase the anxiety but ease it......Has anyone else tried L-theanine and did you find it helped? I am taking 1 capsule a day.

I tried taking it for a while. All I noticed was that my stomach condition I was suffering from at the time seemed to get a little worse so I stopped, same as with the 5-htp. But back then just about everything would set me off. Since those symptoms have eased I tried it again a couple of times over the last year or so but didn't really notice any real effects from it besides maybe a SLIGHT calming, and a little tiredness. Could have just been a placebo effect tbh. I could see it help someone unwind before bed by mixing it with melatonin or something, but as for anxiety (real anxiety I mean not just a little nervous before a job interview or something) I really can't picture it helping greatly. Not for me personaly anyway. Maybe I haven't used it for long enough periods of time or something? Who knows. It's too bad really, I wish there was something out there I could use for anxiety without becoming dependent. I'd love to get off the Etiz or benzos in general, but for now not a chance in hell.

I am currently coming off Clonazpem (Klonopin) and once off that then will try coming off Diazepam. Clonazepam is really hard to come off, much harder than Diazepam I think so trying to ease withdrawals as best as I can. This L-theanine seems to stop my hands from shaking and I managed to walk out of my house earlier, only for a few minutes......Although maybe this is due to the levels of Clonazepam getting low as I read that once in tolerance of any benzo you start to feel ill and the only way to get better is to either come off or to increase the dose?

I read about Etizolam, meant to work miracles for anxiety but meant to be very addictive?

I tried it and imo it's great, it's not as anxiolytic as a benzo but it does help

Etizolam is a thienodiazepine and acts just as other benzos, so it's not a wonder pill, you'd just switch from one benzo to another and it's illegal

L-tyrosine is incredible for stimulant withdrawal as it modulates the dopamine receptors as well as great for the adrenal glands and thyroid..<snip> No sourcing plz

Last edited by a moderator:
Never knew that as in Etizolam is illegal. Read many reviews about it on the net saying how good it is for anxiety so interesting you say that it is not really that different from other benzos. Back to L-theanine, I am sure it is ok to take whilst on benzos? Using it to try and make withdrawals that teeeeny bit easier. Should I take a 200mg capsules everyday or say give it a miss for a few days so my body does not get used to it?

^Pretty mch every psychoactive substance is illegal in the UK, iirc even L-Theanine is illegal.

I think L-Theanine isn't addictive and you don't build a tolerance, but I have to read up on it again. Imo you should take it for a few days prior and after a cut in your benzo dosage

Never knew that as in Etizolam is illegal. Read many reviews about it on the net saying how good it is for anxiety so interesting you say that it is not really that different from other benzos. Back to L-theanine, I am sure it is ok to take whilst on benzos? Using it to try and make withdrawals that teeeeny bit easier. Should I take a 200mg capsules everyday or say give it a miss for a few days so my body does not get used to it?
From some reading I've done on etizolam it was put across that it upregulates the receptor site responsible for the anxiolytic effects of benzodiazapines. A reverse tolerance so to speak. It was mentioned I believe that it increased in effectiveness around weeks 3-4 at 1 mg a day.
Now mind all the other elements that make it a benzo would remain the same. So it's addictive as hell and any sedation/hypnotic effects will incur tolerance.

I've bought like quarter kilos of it basically inactive compared to benzos then again benzos messed up my life from a addiction to them.

I tried it and imo it's great, it's not as anxiolytic as a benzo but it does help

Etizolam is a thienodiazepine and acts just as other benzos, so it's not a wonder pill, you'd just switch from one benzo to another and it's illegal

Depends on where you are located. I'm in the USA and it's still legal here. I take it every day and it works great for my anxiety and muscle tension as an added bonus. But yes I will agree it's not so different from many of the "true" benzos. I would relate the strength of the dose and feeling of the effects more closely to Ativan (lorazepam) rather than Xanax (alprazolam). Still addictive and it actually builds tolerance extremely fast, but the tolerance also drops very fast so IME it's much easier to back off on the dose, and the w/d isn't as quite as bad as a typical benzo. But being legal, easy to get, and dirt cheap it's definitely the easy choice for me over true benzos.

I think egcg in green tea leaves has stronger evidence for its antianxiety effects. I suck on tea leaves and for relaxing. Nothing like xanax but i dont But i also dont become stupid. it might be too much caffeine for you if you brew tea but you can get caffeine free extracts. Howeever i think there are some cases of green tea extracts causing liver problems

I have never taken L-theanine supplements, or green tea extracts, but instead I just drink a cup or two of green tea, and this works fine.

l theanine is probably the best OTC anxiety treatment given your sitaution IMO, im not suprised to hear you find it helps. Theres a reason its commonly mixed with pills containing caffiene, it helps with the jitters, and anxiety.

Actually I just got some green tea leaves dehydrated them with sugar alcohol into a powder added 3.75 g of sugar alcohol and 3.750 g of powder green tea (120 mg or so caffeine 120 mg or so l theanine 1.5 g of poly phenol 0.750 g of egcg) with my normal amount of single dose dry tobacco and sucked on it and I definitely feel more relaxed before I was feeling kinda over stimulated and uncomfortable and I feel like I have second wind and I don't feel anxious anymore. Idk how much l theanine played a role in that or that taking it orally would do anything

L-Theanine is pretty decent (better than valerian if you do not intend to go to sleep). I once ingested tablets (instead of capsules) and at t+1h I thought, they didnt work, so I took several more and after a few hours I was pretty nauseaus, because the tablets were high dosed, but needed hours to be digested (so now I prefer capsules of course, those are less irritating for the stomach anyway). I was still able to function, but it taught me, that even theanine can be overdosed.

I guess a couple cups of good green tea are superiour, but it is less convenient, because you have to brew it in the correct way, in order to keep the amount of theanine high vs. the caffeine. If somebody knows a good green tea strain with minimal caffeine and high theanine content, suggestions are very appreciated. <3

All you need to do is brew the same bag 5 times the caffeine levels off after one steep but the egcg polyphenols the helth stuff is increases linearly. A 2 g bag of green tea has up to 1 gram of polyphenols and 400 to 500 mg of egcg. A typical single brew for 2 to 5 minutes only has like 80 percent the caffeine and 50-70 mg of egcg.

Never knew that as in Etizolam is illegal. Read many reviews about it on the net saying how good it is for anxiety so interesting you say that it is not really that different from other benzos.

It's absolutely incredible for anxiety, that's because it's (essentially) just another benzodiazepene. It might have a different chemical profile, but it works on the same receptors and can be used interchangeably.

^Pretty mch every psychoactive substance is illegal in the UK, iirc even L-Theanine is illegal.

It's very much a grey and ambiguous area, but to my knowledge L-Theanine isn't currently regulated, or targeted. Obviously any kind of tryptamine/phenethylamine/clearly psychoactive stim/psych/empathogen is definitely not allowed. But L-Theanine and many other supplements are still widely available (and as powders) from even the likes of amazon, whilst supplements such as racetam nootropics are no longer widely sold within the UK, even though they are about as psychoactive as the likes of L-Theanine.

It seems to me like anything which occurs naturally in nature (even if the actual product was made in a lab), is available, whereas people are less likely to take the risk with man made nootropic style supplements.

OP: The effectiveness of supplements seems to vary from person to person. I didn't get much from l-theanine at all, but did from others. Other people find the opposite.

I'm currently taking Ashwagandha, Niacian (nicotinic acid), and Rhodeola Rosea and they are really helping with anxiety and depression.

I tend to find that they are different to benzos in the sense that you don't come up and twenty minutes later you don't have a worry in your life, but slowly seem to regulate and balance anxiety/depression so that over the course of a few days or even weeks, a steady intake will reduce symptoms by a degree or two.

If you find L-Theanine helps, take it. There is no dangerous interaction with benzos to my knowledge; at least this is my personal experience, and I'm yet to see warnings to the contrary. The best resource for information on the effectiveness of supplements is:

https://examine.com

:)

Last edited:

Is it (L-Thianine) available OTC in the UK? I'm sure I bought some from [a large online commerse website] a few years ago. I'm sure I also got GABA and L-Tyrosine.