• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom habit vs oxy/hydro habit

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I've been overindulging in two of my favorite opioids, oxycodone and hydrocodone. It is getting pretty expensive and I can see where it is heading, which seems to be right into a serious physical addiction although I have only had withdrawals a couple of times over the past year. I was thinking about switching back to kratom because I can control my use much better with it and it's dirt cheap compared to pharmicuticals.

I use oxy and hydro for about 5 days in a row with varying doses of 30-100mg per day then take a week off. With kratom I'd be using it 28/30 days but at much lower doses, about 3-8 grams of regular Bali a day. I'm not ready to quit although I know it will come highly recommended by many bluelighters. What do you guys think is the better choice?

I personally would stuck to my 120mg per day oxycodone habit just to get most of my pain gone and 240-280mg to get nods.

This is just because I pay 1,5€ for three months worth of oxies (one box of 56 20mg Oxycontin OCs per week and one box of 28 OxyNorm 10mg per week) as I am a wounded war veteran and have to continue to use pain killers until I die or some miracle happens and fixes my back.

I would have to pay much more for purchasing enough Kratom to equal those kind of amounts of oxycodone and I couldn't even be sure what amount of each batch of Kratom is enough to equal those amounts.

I know this is a slippery slope to use more and more for recreational use but I have done a contract with my local pharmacy that I must get only two weeks worth of my oxies at a time although my Dr. would let me get three months supply at once.

Last edited:
I can promise that Kratom is the better option for your health and unless you have a script, for your wallet too. I have been through kratom addiction, using approximately 10g a day split up into two 5g doses, and i broke the habit with a taper (and we all know how difficult a taper is). All im saying is that dealing with the drawbacks from kratom is much easier than any prescription drugs

So my two cents is that you should most definitely use kratom instead of oxy or hydro.

That's pretty neat that you have a contract for only a two week supply, at least that demonstrates you have the will to control your use to an extent. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I don't have a script so clearly oxy is the more expensive choice and although I do take my wallet into account with this decision I was more interested in the physical and mental ramifications of the choice. I'm sorry about your back MrRoot, I hope you are able to live a comfortable life with or without opiates.

I understand that kratom is cheaper but how is better for my health? Most pharm grade opiates are extremely benign as far as long term physical damage goes but kratom has a far less researched safety profile. I'm not knocking your post headhigh but I'm just a little confused on that part. I do agree fully that kratom is much easier to maintain and taper or cold turkey from. I've already had a 4-10 gram/day kratom habit that went on for about 3-4 months and I literally felt no withdrawals upon cessation of that regimen. I'm leaning towards kratom since it is weaker, cheaper, and easier to manage even though I would be taking it almost everyday.

When it comes to a chemical being put in your body for long periods of time, its not so much about organ failure or physical deterioration (although this will happen with both, particularly the liver), it's more about mental deterioration. When using a chemical over long periods of time, it actually rewires your mental pathways in different areas of your brain. This is the reason that Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS) are a thing. When you harp on your pleasure pathways for so long, it really can fuck you up afterwards, but kratom does not mess with those pathways at anywhere near the strength that pharm opioids like oxy do.
And honestly, i think mental health is more important than physical health sometimes.

And honestly, i think mental health is more important than physical health sometimes.

I completely agree, the reason I started using opiates was for relief from depression (I know it's a terrible idea but it's all I have right now). I figured you meant mental health but usually when people just say "health" they are just speaking about physical health, but in the case of mental health I would agree with you.

I completely agree, the reason I started using opiates was for relief from depression (I know it's a terrible idea but it's all I have right now). I figured you meant mental health but usually when people just say "health" they are just speaking about physical health, but in the case of mental health I would agree with you.
If your talking about being addicted to opiates to hell with depression i conpletely disagree as withdrawls are too horible. But to stay not addicted just the thought that you have some euphoria coming from your opiates stashed away can help with depression but being addicted to weed and smoking everyday is the best for depression imo

I guess functionality is the key for living a life that you can be content of.

I won't ever be in full health either physically or mentally due my back issues and bipolar disorder but I can function at a level I find myself happy with because of the RX drugs I take and the attitude I have towards my life.

When it comes to a chemical being put in your body for long periods of time, its not so much about organ failure or physical deterioration (although this will happen with both, particularly the liver), it's more about mental deterioration. When using a chemical over long periods of time, it actually rewires your mental pathways in different areas of your brain. This is the reason that Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS) are a thing. When you harp on your pleasure pathways for so long, it really can fuck you up afterwards, but kratom does not mess with those pathways at anywhere near the strength that pharm opioids like oxy do.

Mental Pathways!!' I love that scientific term. How can you be so sure that the Kratom you are getting does not contain any harmful chemicals?

You cant, but you can do as much research as possible on the company. And there are some out there that are doing a perfect job at keeping their kratom clean and organic, you just have to find them. I have found a company that i love to use, but i know that we cannot give sources here. Lets just say that their initials are BW