• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Kratom and its affect on Opioid tolerance

Swim753

Greenlighter
I am trying to taper off and lower my tolerance for hydros. I'm not that huge into them, but it now takes around 80-100mg of hydro to get me anywhere. I only dose on the weekends, but it seems like my tolerance keeps increasing. How many weeks do I need to go to lower my tolerance? To keep myself stable over the week, i've started drinking around 8g of Kratom every 2 - 3 days. I use lemon juice to extract the alkaloids and then brew the Kratom for 10minutes and strain it though a fine muslin cloth. This removes all the plant material (can't take the taste), but still gives me a decent buzz that allows me to function. Without it i'm very tired and lethargic. I'm wondering if drinking the Kratom is preventing me from lowering my hydro tolerance?

People on here, very often, report that using kratom regularly kills their high and enjoyment for other opiates. I can't speak from experience but I recently found out that kratom has compounds that are calcium channel blockers. Gabapentin is also a calcium channel blocker and if opiates are taken in conjunction with it their effectiveness is greatly increased. However I have noticed that in the days following the gabapentin usage, the pleasant effects of heroin would be greatly diminished, if felt at all.

This is just a anecdotal correlation but I think it bears mentioning.

People on here, very often, report that using kratom regularly kills their high and enjoyment for other opiates. I can't speak from experience but I recently found out that kratom has compounds that are calcium channel blockers. Gabapentin is also a calcium channel blocker and if opiates are taken in conjunction with it their effectiveness is greatly increased. However I have noticed that in the days following the gabapentin usage, the pleasant effects of heroin would be greatly diminished, if felt at all.

This is just a anecdotal correlation but I think it bears mentioning.

That would make sense. Do you have any idea how long the affects of the Kratom take to wear off? It seems like i need to stop using both substances for awhile to get back to enjoying Hydros. I have access to Gabapentin, but I almost never take it. What is the recommended safe amount to take alongside hydros?

I don't really feel comfortable recommending proper drug quantities but I can tell you that I take anywhere from 1000-3500mgs gabapentin with no ill effects, while consuming opiates. I do have a high tolerance though so YMMV.

i have no experience with kratom, but ive done some research regarding it, have you ever pondered trying the premade Kratom concentrated extracts? maybe you'd have more success with those but i know the prices i saw were alittle high, 100-200 per medium sized tincture

I have experience with both, been addicted to kratom for 6+ years and used the codones on a somewhat regular basis although not so much anymore. Yes kratom will affect your tolerance to other opioids. I have no idea how long it will take for your tolerance to go down but from my past experience pretty much any tolerance break will only work for the first couple times back then it will be back to where it was before.

As for calcium channel blockers...I was also on pregabalin when I was using and never noticed any decrease in either hydro or oxy.

I have experience with both, been addicted to kratom for 6+ years and used the codones on a somewhat regular basis although not so much anymore. Yes kratom will affect your tolerance to other opioids. I have no idea how long it will take for your tolerance to go down but from my past experience pretty much any tolerance break will only work for the first couple times back then it will be back to where it was before.

As for calcium channel blockers...I was also on pregabalin when I was using and never noticed any decrease in either hydro or oxy.

Seems like your experience is close to mine. I've only used Kratom for about 1yr and I use it a few times a week, but it does seem to mess with my hydro tolerance. I prefer the red strain thai miang di. What type of Kratom gives you good milage?

I like taking a tolerance break to keep from getting hard addicted and maintain control over my recreation. Have you ever taken a tolerance break from both? I understand we're different and YMMV -- but i'm curious to see how long i should break to get back down to 40 - 50mg of hydro to have a good time. Basically looking to cut my current usage in half.

I don't really feel comfortable recommending proper drug quantities but I can tell you that I take anywhere from 1000-3500mgs gabapentin with no ill effects, while consuming opiates. I do have a high tolerance though so YMMV.

I've only messed around with 300mg at the same time with the hydros; so stepping it up to around 1000mg sounds like a good place to start. I don't think any ill effects would come from that low of a dose. Does it give you the nods? How do you maintain an awake state? I seem to get sleepy from Gabapentin.

Last edited:
I've only messed around with 300mg at the same time with the hydros; so stepping it up to around 1000mg sounds like a good place to start. I don't think any ill effects would come from that low of a dose. Does it give you the nods? How do you maintain an awake state? I seem to get sleepy from Gabapentin.

Stagger the doses at 300 mg every 45 mins or so for better absorption. It will take a while to fully kick in.

Seems like your experience is close to mine. I've only used Kratom for about 1yr and I use it a few times a week, but it does seem to mess with my hydro tolerance. I prefer the red strain thai miang di. What type of Kratom gives you good milage?

I like taking a tolerance break to keep from getting hard addicted and maintain control over my recreation. Have you ever taken a tolerance break from both? I understand we're different and YMMV -- but i'm curious to see how long i should break to get back down to 40 - 50mg of hydro to have a good time. Basically looking to cut my current usage in half.
Red Kalimantan is my main but I also use green Kali, red Bali and red Thai. Once I started taking kratom daily I've taken a month off once and a week off a couple times. I always tell myself that I'm not going to go back to daily dosing but within a week I'm right back to twice a day. I just have to accept I'm an either on or off type user. I'd guess maybe taking a few months off but unless you can keep your use to an infrequent basis it'll probably wont last.

as i read your comment im watching supernatural, love the profile pic man

I am trying to taper off and lower my tolerance for hydros. I'm not that huge into them, but it now takes around 80-100mg of hydro to get me anywhere. I only dose on the weekends, but it seems like my tolerance keeps increasing. How many weeks do I need to go to lower my tolerance? To keep myself stable over the week, i've started drinking around 8g of Kratom every 2 - 3 days. I use lemon juice to extract the alkaloids and then brew the Kratom for 10minutes and strain it though a fine muslin cloth. This removes all the plant material (can't take the taste), but still gives me a decent buzz that allows me to function. Without it i'm very tired and lethargic. I'm wondering if drinking the Kratom is preventing me from lowering my hydro tolerance?
Kratom raised my tolerance by a whole lot.
I have heard others say the same thing.
Plus your body becomes dependent.

I wouldn’t get into Kratom.
It just keeps you from getting sick.
It has no high to speak of.

Best thing to do is to take it easy on the Hydro.

Kratom raised my tolerance by a whole lot.
I have heard others say the same thing.
Plus your body becomes dependent.

I wouldn’t get into Kratom.
It just keeps you from getting sick.
It has no high to speak of.

Best thing to do is to take it easy on the Hydro.
kratom is a partial antagonist and a rather weak agonist so it would not raise tolerance as much as traditional opiods. also if someone isnt a regular opiod user with a low tolerance, kratom can provide a high that has been alikened to that of hydrocodone by many first time kratom users.

kratom is a partial antagonist and a rather weak agonist so it would not raise tolerance as much as traditional opiods. also if someone isnt a regular opiod user with a low tolerance, kratom can provide a high that has been alikened to that of hydrocodone by many first time kratom users.
I know people say that but it never worked that way for me.
I was surprised by how much it raised tolerance.
Just my experience.

One of the issues with kratom is that the primary opioid alkaloid, mitragynine, is a partial G protein biased agonist but the primary metabolite 7-OH-mitragynine is a partial unbiased agonist with a greater potency than morphine. There is also a metabolite of 7-OH-mitragynine, mitragynine pseudoindoxyl, that is even more potent so in reality if you're taking enough mitragynine you can easily cause receptor internalization through the metabolites even though mitragynine is biased and on the weaker side. The result is an increased tolerance and that's on top of the ~24hr half life of mitragynine. The length of time that mitragynine and its metabolites stick around is a big driver of cellular adaptations

I know people say that but it never worked that way for me.
I was surprised by how much it raised tolerance.
Just my experience.
sorry for the late response but, if you buy kratom at vape shops, that is probably a big reason you don't feel much. I would reccomend ordering premium, quality kratom powder online or use the extracts like mit55 (feel free extracts are good too but habit forming. also taking some potentiaters such as tagamet and dxm (which not only potentiates but lowers tolerance) could definitely help. Lastly if you use the tea method, a few splashes of lemon juice will greatly help the alkaloids to be dissolved in the water.