• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ketotifen : weight loss!

nuclear89

Greenlighter
Hey,
As far as I am aware this is an antihistamine. However I have seen it referred to as a steroid.

I knowledge is very basic, however as far as I know steroids increase weight gain.

I am interested in this drug for weight loss so if it is a steroid and the increase weight gain how the heck does it increase weight loss.

If I could get hold of this from somewhere would it actually increase weight loss.

I am not as naive to think that I can keep eating pizza and not exercise.

Are you are you take orlistat and have considered Victoza.

It is not a steroid, but is an antihistamine.

Here is what this article says about it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3885374/

Impact of Caffeine on Weight Changes Due to Ketotifen Administration

The other studied drug, ketotifen, is a second-generation noncompetitive H1-antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer which besides its anti-histaminic activity, also function as a leukotriene antagonist and a phosphodiesterase inhibitor. However, appetite stimulation and weight gain are its common side effects in human.51,52 A probable mechanism of ketotifen on weight gain and appetite is attributed to inhibitory effect on production of TNF-α which has been confirmed in human studies.8 It has been evidenced that TNF-α plays a key role in regulating energy metabolism53 and can act directly on adipocytes to regulate the release of leptin.54 Leptin acts on receptors in the hypothalamus of the brain, where it inhibits appetite.55 Ketotifen by inhibitory effect on production of TNF-α can reduce leptin level and thereby decreased the inhibition of leptin on appetite and finally result in weight gain. In addition to mentioned appetite enhancing mechanism of ketotifen, this drug by influence in 5-hydroxytryptamine regulation, could involve in central serotonin disinhibition,56 leading to decrease serotonin level and as the fact of suppressant effect of serotonin on appetite, ketotifen caused an increase in food intake tendency and appetite.

In the present study, different doses of ketotifen not only did not cause significant weight gain but also induced significant weight loss compared to the control group. The results may be due to the difference in metabolic pathways in mice and humans, or maybe the used doses of ketotifen in this study were not in the range of doses to reduce TNF-α production or influence serotonin release and be effective on appetite or weight gain, which require further studies and measuring the level of TNF-α. This contradictory effect of ketotifen is also reported in other studies. As an example, in an evaluation of combining ketotifen and oxymetholone on weight gain and performance status in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) positive patients with chronic cachexia, addition of ketotifen did not result in weight gain57. In another study of evaluation of co-administration of ketotifen and cyproheptadine, the injection of different doses of ketotifen showed different results in mice, while the high doses of ketotifen caused a significant weight gain compared to the control group, but the low doses resulted in a significant weight loss9 which amplify the importance of doses used in research and indicate the probability of the different mechanism of different doses in variant patients.

CFC, the authors seem to indicate its based on dosage.

No, it's not a steroid.

It's used with a different type of bodybuilding drug to increase that drug's effect.

Used by itself it may actually make you fatter by increasing appetite. Definitely avoid.