• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] Intravenous Injection (IV)

I aquired a 1 gram vial of ketamine last Saturday. It was the first time I had used ketamine since 1999 before it became illegal. I stopped using it back then because the last few times I used it I had very bad experiences.

I had also never IVed it before, but in the past two years I only IV powdered drugs after becoming addicted to heroin and becoming addicted to the rush or IVing drugs.

At any rate, I started out with 10mgs. I found the experience to be very similar to snorting a 50-100mg dose. However the effects only last for about 15 minutes as oppossed ot an hour if you snort it. Although the higher the dose you use, the longer the effects will last.

During the week I kept increasing the doses. At about 25mgs, the effects of IV ketamine are much more psychedelic than simply dissociative as with snorting it. The experiences are very profound, but also very enlightening in the classical psychedelic way.

I injected it daily from Saturday until this past Friday every day. You build up a tolerance to it rather quickly and require more, but you also get more traditional psychedelic effects that offset the tolerance as you increase your doses.

At above 30mgs, you should be able to experience synaethasia along with mind blowing profound thoughts about reality and life.

My experiences were very rewarding and my setting would be me sitting in my room closing my eyes listening to music. As my doses increased during the week, I would become completely assorbed into the music and thoughts and everything would kind of melt together.

At 50mgs you being to experience COMPLETE synaesthasia when you close your eyes and simply lay down. You will "feel" the music, "see" the music and essentially transcend in a way much unlike simply snorting even a high dose of it.

My last dose on Friday was my last 100mgs (this should give you an idication that I was often using doses back to back during the week). The effects lasted for 45 minutes. I simply layed on the floor with my eyes closed and let the music envelope me.

I can't see the experience of IVing high doses of ketamine in a social setting because you become completely trapped in your own mind. And if you think moving around is difficult on a snorted dose of ketamine, IVing it also has a profound anaesthetic effect where you can't talk or comprehend "reality" anyways.

And as for having a trip sitter to remove the needle, I have to disagree. I was always able to count to 15-30 (a habit I developed by the time I was using up to half a gram of extremely pure heroin a day and that concerned about losing even a single milligram from the blood that would leak out of the injection spot) before removing the needle. This is also a good idea because the ketamine will burn as it escapes your vein. The effects start kicking in but not before I'm able to put an alcohol wipe over the injection spot, put the needle down, close my eyes and lay down. Although the effects come on quickly, it takes about a full minute before you're completely anaesthetized.

Another thing to consider is that your skin will turn pale after IVing ketamine and although the mental effects may be gone, some of the anaesthetic effects will last for up to two hours and you probably won't be walking straight. As well, even using sterile alcohol pads, you'll have bright red dots where you injected the ketamine as if you injected cocaine and unlike you injected heroin (heroin really leaves no visable marks unless you bruise easily or inject often). The marks take about 2-3 days to disappear.

My body also ached every day after injecting ketamine. I never got this effect from snorting ketamine and I don't know the cause of it. Ibuprofen got rid of the aches, but it's something to take into consideration. However after two days I felt completely normal again.

As for people saying to only inject liquid ketamine from the vial, again, I have to disagree. Powdered ketamine breaks down in water with only a minimal amount of stiring. You use a cotton filter. I've injected heroin, cocaine, oxycontin, and adderall over the past two years without any bad noticable effects as far as my veins or overall health go. There shouldn't be any impurities in ketamine anyways, and if there are and you're not intending to use regularly, a filter will certainly get rid of enough of them that they won't cause any problems so long as you are using sanitary techniques when injecting. Then again, I was using ketamine in the mid to late 90's when vials were extremely cheap and it was completely unheard of to cut ketamine, so maybe things are different now and impurities are a concern. But otherwise the only impurity in cooked ketamine should be saline which is also water soluable and safe to inject anyways.

If you are going to inject powdered ketamine, make sure to use a sterile saline solution or bottled water. Never use tap water when IVing or IMing any drug.

If you've read any articles suggesting that ketamine can help cure opiate addiction, the key is that the ketamine is used in a therapuetic session with a therapist. A weeks worth of ketamine has done nothing to stop my insatiable urge to use opiates (although no, I haven't used opiates regularly for some several months now, however the cravings are still there and have infact intensified with the change of the season, the days getting shorter and myself becoming depressed as a result).

Finally I take Depakote and occassionally Abilify to treat bipolar disorder and did not notice that there was any interaction between these drugs and my use of ketamine.

i tried insufflation of ketamine, as well as IV before IM.

i never had any trouble getting the needle out in time before i holed. nor did my friend. this is generally a myth in my mind, unless of course you are slow with the process.

the buzz is very intense, but it does not last for long at all.

^^ Yeah I never had any troubles removing the needle either. I think it's just another bullshit IV rumour spread by those that have never actually done it.

Love In Vein said:
As for people saying to only inject liquid ketamine from the vial, again, I have to disagree. Powdered ketamine breaks down in water with only a minimal amount of stiring. You use a cotton filter.
When it comes to IV, I'd agree, it's no more dangerous than shooting any other powder, though you may as well have it from the vial if you can, the work is already done.

For IM administration though I wouldn't use powder. The risks of getting an abcess from particles is just too high for me to risk IM'ing any powder. A vial is perfect for this method, and the only source I'd use.

IV Ketamine

I used the search engine, searched Erowid and Google but I could not find the answer to my question.

Why is Ketamine seldom intravenously injected? I understand that it is IV'd in a medical scenario.

I used to wonder the same thing, not understanding why it can be IM'd but not IV'd. The reason is because there is a risk that you can enter the K-hole instantly before you can remove the needle, falling over onto an insterted needle would be bad.

I remember someone (I think amnesiaseizure and a few others probably) claiming that this was a myth. If it is a myth, my question remains unanswered.

Can anyone confirm this with first hand experience?

^^^

I can't, but from what I understand IV ketamine isn't all that great because it sends you straight into anaesthesia and you wont remember anything.

Well IV Ketamine is not nearly as dissociative/psychedelic as IM, it's more psychedelic-heroin like from what I've heard. You get a "rush".

When I IV'd (the only time) Ketamine a friend was with me, I put the needle in pushed in the plunger, and within about 2 seconds my vision fragmented and I was rapidly shot into an intense, but short, K-hole. If my friend were not there I would have left a needle in my vein most likely, but it was a cool way and efficient way to administrate Ketamine (given its from a sealed vial).

I have I.V.ed Ketamine twice in one setting (two consecutive doses, the second higher than the first).

The ammount you use as a "bump" nasally is enough to put you in a K-hole when I.V.ed. It is not very psychedelic, but it IS euphoric. Very euphoric, in fact....

IV is used by vets, and it knocks out a cat in about 10 seconds, my experience with IM ketamine-it took 5 mins to K-hole. I think it's more a matter of safety than anything else

If you're going to this, have a sitter there to get the needle out for you if needed. Better yet have the sitter shoot it for you. That way you can just lay back an let it happen.

IK ketamine is instant k-hole! agreed. i did it once in the bathroom of a mexican resturant. made it out the door and as far as the sidewalk. we sat on the sidewlk for bout half hour. maybe forever.

another time i gave this girl a shot cause she wanted one. after the plunger fell she was all over me. tongue in my throat. wow.

I've IV'd K numerous times. I used to sprinkle just a tad of it in with my meth and it would feel like you're being kissed by God himself.

I only once went "all the way" with it. I was afraid of falling out before I got the needle out, so I had a friend hit me. After he pulled the needle out, I stood up off the toilet and took about five steps into the living room, with each step I was closer to the floor, and at the end of the fifth one I was curled up into a ball and didn't leave the position for about an hour. It was by far the single most intense experience of my life, drug or otherwise, and at the risk of sounding like some kind of shit talkin' bragger, that's saying quite a fuckin' bit.

Anyone familiar with the Edwin A. Abbot book Flatland? It's about A. Square, a two dimensional being who gets ripped out of his flat existence by A. Sphere and experiences the third dimension. When he comes back, he tries to explain to everyone what he's seen, but they call him a heretic. Shooting K is like experiencing a hypercube unravel. Fuck that "psychedelic heroin" bullshit, it's like being extradited to an alien heaven where time itself is hyperdimensional allowing you to experience a nanosecond over the space of eternity and everything in between.

I'll experiment in the future with IV'ing K, but honestly, after that last time I didn't really feel like I needed to do any drugs for a while, of course I started bangin' the meth again the next morning, but that was more functional than recreational.

Last edited:
I IV or IM Ketamine since I get it in sealed vials. It clearly states on the Ketalar-TM brand vial label: for IV or IM use only... I prefer IV -ing much more than IM plus using half the amount gets much better results.. you do remember your k-hole experience.. just read about dosage guides first 70 mg should be more than enough for a fun k-hole experience (Im about 70kg). A good way to IV yourself (for those experienced with IV-ing themselves) 'safely' (before it hits u) is to inject yourself in the vein on your legs. I use the vein behind my knee, easy to find etc.. as the blood travels alot slower through your legs and it gives you at least 10-15 seconds which is more than enough time to push the whole plunger in, take out the syringe and cap it... compared to , say, the usual crook of your arm which will knock you out in 2 seconds.. leaving you with the very real danger of having the needle hanging in your arm while youre OUtta iT....

I have tried IV ketamine 10 times or so..from 5 to 40 mg... I use a 2 ml syringe, since i can empty it faster, and have a better grip on it.

The only time where i did'nt have enough time to finish the shot was with the 40 mg.... i had loaded 60 (or was it 70?) mg in the syringe. And when i came to 40 mg, i could feel the effect to take on, so i quickly stopped shooting up, and put down the syringe. just in time.

For me IV ain't as much as a trip, as with IM. Probably because i allways have had the lights on so i could see what i was doing, When IM'ing i allways turn off allmost all lights.

I really like the amphetamine/ketamine IV combo.... a descent amount of speed, and around 10-25 mg ketamine in the same syringe gives an incredible rush.

Is there any way to do Ketamine without IV'ing? I'm not into the whole needles thing cuz I'm a pantywaist.