• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] Intravenous Injection (IV)

^^^
Heh thanks. :)
Yeah, I am absolutely not interested in IMing. I don't like the idea of sticking a needle in my muscle. I dont' think you could convince me to IM it. I have no problem with IVing however and I do not fear the intensity of it.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Originally posted by fairnymph:
^^^
Heh thanks. :)
Yeah, I am absolutely not interested in IMing. I don't like the idea of sticking a needle in my muscle. I dont' think you could convince me to IM it. I have no problem with IVing however and I do not fear the intensity of it.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Famous last words. If you have never injected K before, yet have no fear of its intensity you are in for one heck of a suprise! i don't recommend what you're doing, nor do I think it is intelligent, but if you are going to do it anyway I suggest starting VERY small. You are a small person anyway... work up from 20mg - you will surely appreciate and handle the experience better this way.
Goodluck,
SG

Heh, you can IV but chances are very good you won't have a deep and fascinating experience like is typical with IM...
IM is great, you have a minute or two to settle back and when it comes on it does so nice and fast/tidal-wave intense, but at a maneagable rate-- when IV'd you get so wacked so fast it's typical to just lose awareness of what has happened and then sort of "snap out of it" perhaps 30 minutes later...

Personally, I have always been a fan of IV use of Ketamine, and actually prefer it to IM administration.
The whole experience is far more gentle and accomodating in my opinion. I swear at times, it's almost felt as if I did the ketamine along with a shot of heroin, the feeling is just so nice and comfortable. Of course, "Nice" and "Comfortable" aren't words generally associated with a high doseage ketamine expeirence, but that is probably the best definition I can offer. And I get the exact opposite experience from IM...
Also, in all my experiences with IV'ing Ketamine NEVER has it come on so strong or quick that I become incapacitated before I can withdraw the syringe. NEVER have I actually become anaesthetized or even come close to fully going under. Also, never has anyone I have personally talked to who has had experience IV'ing Ketamine ever reported not being able to withdraw the syringe in time, or ever fully going under.
Of course, offering an adequate guess as to doseage depends on a lot of different things, but I would suggest starting fairly low, not out of a direct danger of going under, but simply to become accustomed to this type of Ketamine experience. It's vastly different from IM in just so many ways I couldn't begin to describe them...
Now, I've often wondered what exactly is the detriment behind IV'ing Ketamine, and why is IM preffered so much, I've even asked that question here on Bluelight, and I still haven't been given a proper answer.
If I had to put a number on a suggested inital doseage, depending on your affinity for K, I'd put the range at no more than 10-25 mg (assmuning you had a standard 100mg/ml solution that' about 10-30 units in a 28g 1cc syringe).
I wouldn't go any higher than this for your first time, expect the whole experinece to be relativley short (and so fucking pleasant), for roughly anywhere from 20-35 minutes, that's for the whole thing. On the whole it's a relativley short experience, which is perfect for intense high dose experiences...
Brainrape

I agree w/ S_G about everything--but most specifically that since your SET on doing this, start at 20mg and work up from there. On my first IM shot of K, I did 50units/mgs whatever and I have never been so rocked in my life. And whoever said that you cant OD on IM k is completely wrong. I came pretty fukin close one night, and you dont even have to do it all in one shot...when it happened to me it was b/c i took too many shots w/ too many units too closely together. its easy to "forget" how much k you've done b/c body doesnt really give you a warning or whatver that says--hey! you've already done 4 shots in the last 3 hours...cut it out! that, and i wouldnt IM in the same area over and over again, I'd switch legs, and area on the leg b/c after my first experience (when i didnt do that) i had a VEEEERYY sore leg for quite some time afterwards. when i "od'd" on IM k--i knew w/i 1 min. that something was wrong... less than 5 mins later, i had to DRAG myself across the floor (b/c if you've IMd k, you know you cant walk) w/ all the strength i could muster up, i lay k-sick in the bathroom for the next 20 mins puking my brains out and fucked out of my mind. i'm not sure how much longer, but eventually i dragged myself back to the couch, layed down, and passed out for about 10 hours. i've only had one IM experience since (on NYE that only consisted of 1 shot for sentimental reasons).

Brainrape, IV'ing anything is just more dangerous than IM'ing it. Any bacteria from the lid of the liq is instantly transported though out your body with little natural defense. Also it scares your veins and thus increases your chance of stroke and heart attack (later) due to blood clots that can form when the vein wall is no longer smooth.
BTW IM'ing is not really necessary, you can simply inject it sub q, just under the skin, with a micro fine insulin needle that you will barely feel in any fatty area. (you have to break the skin anyway to IV right?)
If you do IV, never reuse a needle and clean the top of the vial and the injection site carefully before injecting.

SQ'it I might consider. How does SQ compare to IV and IM ketamine in terms of effect/time/dosage?
Btw, I am AWARE of the effects of IVing things in general. I have always been EXTREMELY cautious with my IV drug use, and I have never gotten more than low-moderately high when I've IVed a drug. I always start low. That's why I asked for dosage information. I'm aware that I can do more if I want to. I just wanted a decent place to start at.

If you are going to IV, I would suggest trying to get ahold of a vile that has not been cooked down yet, as you will be able to judge your doses exactly. The one time I shot up K IV I did about 1/20 of a vile, or one-half a mL. It does pretty much just knock you out if you don't have the tolerance for it, but not too quickly to get the needle out of your arm. You have just as much time for it to hit your system as most other IV drugs. It was the only time I have ever enjoyed going out, though, but if I did it again I would definitely do a smaller dose so that I could enjoy it a little more, because I wasn't prepared.
[ 25 April 2002: Message edited by: djthaddeus ]

For the record, the ketamine IS from a vial so I will be able to measure accurately. I also have access to a mg scale otherwise.

Hey, when you do follow through with this be sure to post on your results.. or a trip report or something.

Here's the info on dosages from the friendly folks at Erowid:
Threshold .1 mg / lb 10 - 15 mg
Light .15 mg / lb 15 - 30 mg
Common .2 mg / lb 25 - 50 mg
Strong .5 mg / lb 40 - 100 mg
K-Hole .75 mg / lb 60 - 125 mg
Anaesthetic Dose 1 mg / lb 100 - 200 mg
LD50 (IVN-MUS) 77 mg / kg ~4,500 mg
LD50 (IPR-MUS) 400 mg / kg ~24,000 mg
NOTE: These dosages are for intramuscular use....so adjust them accordingly for IV'ing!!!
And not to sound like a broken record, but almost every reference I've seen strongly suggests intramuscular administration. I know that you have your heart set on IV'ing, so I won't belabor the point. But many accounts of IV use report loss of motor control before you finish injecting... so beware. And the effects are so strong and rapid, that users don't remember the trip at all, making them feel that it was "a waste".
But, good luck...have fun. And we're looking forward to that Trip Report!!!

Ok, even though this topic has thoroughly been beaten to death, might as well add another tidbit.
From my little book of pharms it gives this little dosage recommendation: IM 5-10 mg/kg, IV 1-2 mg/kg...Now this is the dose for induction of anesthesia, so I would adjust this dose down for a first time. So for you at 115lbs, or ~50kgs, probably a dosage of 25-35 mg would be best to start with, probably staying closer to the 25mg mark.

Update:
A couple days ago, my period started unexpectedly, and as I did not have my painkillers (I have severe menstrual cramps) on me at the time, but had just acquired a vial, I decided to try a low SC dose to help with my pain.
I SC'ed ~25 mg, which was only slightly more than I needed to kill the pain. I was definitely 'fucked up' though not tremendously so and I did not 'hole'. I could still walk around, though I did have to concentrate a little to do so.
I'm estimating that based on this, I would have a more trancendental experience at around 40-50 SC or 40 mg IV. I will try this soon and report back and, if I have enough to report, post in Trip Reports. Though my experiences with SC were not as intense as one time that I holed after snorting ketamine, the SC times did have a different 'flavour' and were more euphoric IMO.
For the record, SC hurts more than IV! I can definitely feel the ketamine making its way through the tissue. However, if you were to repeat administration (as I did, as I was literally in pain) I would definitely not attempt to IV while still feeling the effects of a previous ketamine dose. The coordination necessary simply isnt' present.

sort of on the same topic. How does IM compare in terms of pain in comparison to IV? I know IV doesn't really hurt, but sticking a needle into a muscle, how does this feel? I'm talking generally, in any substance...

I don't think IV hurts at all, or barely so -- just a tiny prick of the needle going in and that's it. And I have a low pain tolerance, IMO!
IM/SC wasn't THAT painful (it was tolerable) and of course it was very short lasting (only lasted for as long as it took to inject the solution, and then perhaps a second or so after). It feels like a 'stinging'/'burning' as the fluid diffuses through the muscle/tissue. And 8 hours later I couldn't even tell where I had SC'ed -- no tenderness or bruising at all. I've had IMs from doctors before and had a similar response. Of course, larger needles and more fluid would hurt more. I imagine that a full ml of fluid would be noticeably more uncomfortable to inject.
I just don't like the idea of jabbing a needle into a muscle. :( It somehow seems more logical to me to insert a needle into a vein.
[ 05 May 2002: Message edited by: fairnymph ]

Ketamine IV

I am curious about this method.. Someone i know tried 50mg and said everything turned white and he met god. And I am IM'ing 100mg, which i can't complain about, but there is no rush or instant change, not complete ego loss either. This is my favorite dose and it is a very unique experience, but it is a costly dose. It is like i went on a slide that slipped me out of reality. And I want to try falling out of reality.

I never IV'd anything before. I am sort of worried i might bleed or something... I only want to do 20mg or so.

Can anyone give their experiences on doing such and maybe comparing it to IM? How different are the doses to acheive similar results? Can you get the needle out without a problem?

The problem is you will probably k-hole before you get the needle out - several people have reported this problem. It is not really recommended...

--- G.

^^^ You could avoid this problem by having someone with the necessary experience to administer it for you. Make sure you aren't dissolving Ketamine powder, though. It needs to be sterile, and the only way to assure that is to use K from a vial.

you should have someone there for sure. There are reports that people have stopped breathing from doing this. I am not sure on the doses that that occured but everyone reacts differently. MAke sure the person watching over you is not on a drug themselves and can get medical help and is not hesitant to do so.