• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kanna (Sceletium Tortuosum) - I have used you for everything , you truly are magical

I am waiting on my order of Sceletium Tortuosum (capsules, 100 mg.) after reading what Medicine Hunter Chris Kilham says about it: "If coffee is a pick-me-up, sceletium is a jet ride to mental brilliance. The staggering effects of sceletium seem primarily due to a group of alkaloids, notably mesembrine, mesembrenol and tortuosamine. These compounds interact with receptors in the brain, enhancing the production of dopamine, which is our primary inner pleasure chemical, and prolonging the activity of serotonin, a critically important mood compound. The net effect of sceletium ingestion is a feeling of tremendous well being, heightened awareness, mental alertness and a keen-mindedness that is quite pronounced."

I was looking for info on whether it could also help ADHD and happened on this thread.
My son is on an ADHD med (Vyvanse). I was wondering if this could help him. Maybe sceletium would not replace it, but help him mellow out some? I've been noticing a lot more irritability in him of late.

I also got interested in sceletium after reading this testimonial:
http://www.sceletium-tortuosum.com/sceletium-tortuosum-natural-anti-depressant-story.htm

Last edited:
I am waiting on my order of Sceletium Tortuosum (capsules, 100 mg.) after reading what Medicine Hunter Chris Kilham says about it: "If coffee is a pick-me-up, sceletium is a jet ride to mental brilliance. The staggering effects of sceletium seem primarily due to a group of alkaloids, notably mesembrine, mesembrenol and tortuosamine. These compounds interact with receptors in the brain, enhancing the production of dopamine, which is our primary inner pleasure chemical, and prolonging the activity of serotonin, a critically important mood compound. The net effect of sceletium ingestion is a feeling of tremendous well being, heightened awareness, mental alertness and a keen-mindedness that is quite pronounced."

I was looking for info on whether it could also help ADHD and happened on this thread.
My son is on an ADHD med (Vyvanse). I was wondering if this could help him. Maybe sceletium would not replace it, but help him mellow out some? I've been noticing a lot more irritability in him of late.

I also got interested in sceletium after reading this testimonial:
http://www.sceletium-tortuosum.com/sceletium-tortuosum-natural-anti-depressant-story.htm

Great testimonial. Please let us know if this worked for you when you use your order.

It doesn't seem to work too well for everyone (me for example, I don't really get anything good from it and it makes me feel kind of uncomfortable), but for those it does work for, I've heard some great reports.

Great testimonial. Please let us know if this worked for you when you use your order.

Order arrived today. I took my first dose in late afternoon, on an empty stomach (I generally eat little during the day).
Started feeling the effects soon enough. Still feeling it now, almost 11 pm. I just feel good, and calmer--been stressed lately, looking
for a new roommate after sharing apartment with my son the last 4 years. Met a new prospective roomie after taking the capsule
and felt more centered and sociable than usual, but also detached from whether he takes the room or not.
I went for a long walk after meeting with him and that helped the effects, I think. Walking is in itself a mood booster.

Earlier this evening my son and I played a story-making game, I came up with the basic idea, and we had fun coming up with a silly
but inventive story. %) Here again I think the Kanna helped.

I got a couple of free samples of fermented Kanna powder with my order. At first I thought it was smokeable and I gave one of them to my son, but
then I found you need smoker's cut for that. As I understand, he should start with one or two grams. Online it says two grams = 0.4 teaspoons,
how would he measure that out? 'Scuse my ignorance, I don't know from grams :) The capsules are 100 mg.

Anyway, I am going to take the advice given in this thread from the OP, take it daily, one capsule a day, let the effects build up. This is the perfect time for me to start
this, with all the changes I am going through. I have had pretty bad anxiety lately but was fine today. Better than fine :)
After a couple of months I will take a break for a month or so and then start up again.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to work too well for everyone (me for example, I don't really get anything good from it and it makes me feel kind of uncomfortable), but for those it does work for, I've heard some great reports.

Xorkoth: Thank you for your post. Sorry to hear this does not work for you. See: that's what I am afraid of. I am a life-long non-stoner. Never used any drugs. As for booze, I am basically a teetotaler.... Yes, indeed, I am anxious to see if this is going to help my anxiety.
[h=3][/h]

altamisal: Thank you for taking the time to update us on your experiment. This is very important, and it give me hope that, perhaps, this is going to help me, too. Cheers.

P.S: Would you mind sharing information on which company you purchased your capsules from, and which capsules you chose?

altamisal: Thank you for taking the time to update us on your experiment. This is very important, and it give me hope that, perhaps, this is going to help me, too. Cheers.

P.S: Would you mind sharing information on which company you purchased your capsules from, and which capsules you chose?

Definitely give it a try! I advise taking on an empty stomach, and exercising on it. I woke up still feeling the afterglow :)

I got it from this site where I read the testimonial I posted above.
http://www.sceletium-tortuosum.com/s...sant-story.htm

"Kanna Mood Support." 100 mg. 90 capsules. Grown in Namibia.
They have samples available if you want to go that route initially.

Great! I am hoping that kanna will also help with creativity: though I have been told many times that I have a talent for writing, I seem to lack the necessary focus. I am hoping that kanna can help provide that focus, thus helping me carry that project through at the same time it keeps me cool, calm, and collected...... :)

Ha, I am hoping the same...I have written a lot, but I too could use better focus. Can be a bit of a challenge when you are online all the time, your attention pulled in so many directions! So I am planning to do more writing offline and
I think that will help. Let's keep each other posted! %) I've upped my kanna dose btw, taking two when I get up. Effects last into the next day.

Found this, has some good tips for focus:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/focus-forgiveness/201512/setting-your-success-drive-fire

Last edited:
I'm not on any drugs (I don't consider Kanna a drug), so it has an effect. I do want to try the extract sometime, it is stronger of course...

Yes, I have been wondering: For those people who have difficulties obtaining results from kanna, could it be that they are on medication and/or drugs which interfere with the substance in kanna that actually produces effects?

Of course, I don't expect any research papers on that issue, since researchers don't care about kanna, kava, and other naturally relaxing treatments......

I smoke weed most evenings, and I take psychedelics and sometimes other drugs on occasion, and drink about every other night, but I'm not on any medications. Doesn't seem to work for me. It's possible I haven't found the right dose but I doubt that's why, and I don't have a burning desire to find out at this time.

Yes, I have been wondering: For those people who have difficulties obtaining results from kanna, could it be that they are on medication and/or drugs which interfere with the substance in kanna that actually produces effects?

Of course, I don't expect any research papers on that issue, since researchers don't care about kanna, kava, and other naturally relaxing treatments......

Yea if you do not obtain results from Kanna it could be do to the fact that your on other medications such as SSRI or SNRI, opioids, Benzodiazepines,antipsychotics . Kanna effects can be decreased by using these medications. However Kanna effects can be enhanced by Cannabis and Kava, I have heard other herbs have enhanced the effects of Kanna. Pharmaceutical medications and psychiatric medication can decrease its effects. Its never good to mix an SSRI with Kanna.

I find that Kanna significantly enhances and synergies with the effects of Cannabis and it can reduce the negative effects of Cannabis such as anxiety and paranoia while the Euphoric effects of the combination are enhanced, its a very good combo. It also increases the introspective and mildly psychedelic effects of Cannabis. I wrote a trip report on it.

These past few days I have been using Kanna and Kava. I use the Kava in the evenings to unwind , relax listen to music, watch a movie and sleep.

While I use Kanna in the mornings to jump start my days. I find Kanna has a very good antidepressant effect, I am surprised this is even natural, the effects are remarkable on me , intially Kanna gives me a mild MDMA type buzz mild and this fades into relaxed energy for the rest of the day that follows into the next day , it can decrease appetite slightly too, it increases my libido as well. I haven't used Kanna in a few weeks and got back on it, and I am noticing I am waking up early each morning, filled with energy and my sleep is very good. I have so much mental energy to get everything done during the day, and I do not feelings of being down or fatigued. This is remarkable and it gives such a good effect on me and I most note I will never ever take a benzo or SSRI in my life as I have found Kanna, I would much rather take Kanna during stages of my life where I need a clutch. Since I used Kanna , I have noticed it also lessens cravings to addictive substances, alcohol & Drugs,and it reduces food addiction, it has a good effect on brain chemistry and it also boosts cognitive function and lessens mental fatigue , I would rather use this than benzos or SRI for anxiety. It has a stronger effect on Depression for me than anxiety, it literally kills Depression. Its excellent for mild to moderate depression.

This brings me to another part that I wanted to tell you guys, I think Kanna works better on a person who suffers from Depression or anxiety, and that its effects are increased and work better on people suffering from mild or moderate depression or anxiety> I find it has an excellent mental energizing effect for me and it works good for mental fatigue for me .

The difference between Kanna and Kava for me is that Kanna has a lot of the effects of Kava but less of the body effects and less of an anxiolytic effect and also Kanna is more stimulative for me and more of a rushy feeling similar to that one would get on MDMA but a lot milder and Kanna causes mild sedation Kava is a stronger sedative , Kanna is the stronger Antidepressant and it has a stronger mood boost Whilst Kava has more of a chilled out effect, mellow effect( Kanna uplifts and boosts my mood whereas with Kava I feel more of a mellowing out and reduction of anxiety but not an uplifting of mood) . The Buzz I Get from Kanna is more stimulative and it has a a rushy, serotonergic like peak.
Overall I have been using Kava and Kanna both lately and I find them to have pleasant effects and both Kanna and Kava have reverse tolerance this means that they work more efficiently when they have been taken for a few days in a row, or if you use them more often.

I Find neither Kava nor Kanna are addictive and i have periods of my life where I use a lot of Kanna and then I take a break from it and I notice no withdrawal, I have been using it as a substitute for addictive drugs and alcohol and it works and it lessens cravings to alcohol and drugs as well as nicotine. Its an amazing herb.

I have used Kratom as well but I am very cautious with using Kratom it is a lot more addictive than Kanna and it has effects that are opiod like so I use Kratom rarely.

Last edited:
I find that Kanna significantly enhances and synergies with the effects of Cannabis and it can reduce the negative effects of Cannabis such as anxiety and paranoia while the Euphoric effects of the combination are enhanced, its a very good combo. It also increases the introspective and mildly psychedelic effects of Cannabis. I wrote a trip report on it.

I'd like to read that trip report, where can I find it? Thanks!