• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Just how dangerous is Poppy Seed Tea?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
Yesterday I ran out of my prescription of Oxycodone. I've been taking 30-50mg every day for about 4 months now, so I was expecting some gnarly withdrawals. Since I knew I would be running out early, I bought a 5lb bag of unwashed poppy seeds, and I made tea last night.

I think it's working, because I haven't had the horrible feelings of withdrawals. But it's hard to tell, because I haven't felt "high" either. However, I've been in a remarkably good mood for someone who's getting off her favorite drug of choice. I've been sipping on my tea all day, taking it slow to make sure I don't overdose.

The problem I'm having with PST is I have NO IDEA how much I'm taking. All the recipes I've found tell you how much to use in grams, but I don't have a scale or anything. I've just been measuring it out with a cup. And although I haven't been feeling high in the sense I'm used to, I'm definitely feeling good, which means there is definitely a chance of addiction. I started out drinking PST in hopes it would help me cut back on my opioid use, but is there a chance that I'm actually ingesting more opioids than I would with Oxycodone?

I guess my question is, what are the guidelines for safe PST use to get off of Oxycodone comfortably? I want to cut back my use, not start a whole new addiction.

OD is unlikely, but PST is an absolutely horrible drug to try to taper with. W/d's are a different animal entirely. I used it twice a week for a month and that was enough for physical dependence, and while it isn't severe, it's been going on 5+ weeks now. Constant chills and cold sweats, sudden diarrhea, awful cramps, anxiety, all for over a month now. Plus, like you said, you have no idea how much you're taking, so tapering would be extremely difficult. Kratom or loperamide are much better options, less of a chance of a new addiction, and also zero chance of fatal OD if you use them properly (kratom OD will just make you throw up/feel like crap but you'll be fine).

OP, if you can get by on 30mg's of oxycodone in a day, and are trying to stop your addiction, don't fuck with PST. i used PST daily for years and the withdrawals are indeed way worse than oxy. i'd recommend you decrease your oxy by 5mg's every week and you can beat it!

Yeah, PST is a terrible choice for tapering - you need to know exactly how much you are taking every time. If you do not have enough oxy to do a taper then kratom would be a much better choice. PST definitely has the possibility of making you even more dependent than you are now.

I wouldn't say OD is unlikely, but a real risk if you use too many seeds and drink to fast as there have been OD deaths from poppy seed tea. 1/4 lb of good unwashed seeds should manage maybe get you a little high while a lb of good seeds can kill someone intolerant, but still they would need to be potent seeds. I remember reading someone posting how they knew of a study where a cup of tea from a lb could contain anywhere from 30-400 mg morphine so it is no joke on OD risk.

That being said the way you are sipping slowly and managing rather than gulping down copious amounts to get high is the right way to go. PST can easily raise your tolerance to levels you don't want where your oxy to not be effective after managing with PST. Just stay well and if you start getting tired from the tea stop and wait a while before continuing before causing repository depression.

Just curious though why not but a lb scale? Shouldn't be too pricey.

Edit: Due to lopes evidence backed risks of QT prolongation and fatal heart arythmea it is not a better choice than PST

IME 3 cups is just a little over a pound of seeds. When I'd buy them in 5lb lots I'd always measure out to see how many cups I'd get before I used any and always came out to around 14 cups. Not 100% accurate but it gives a good guestimate!
Watch it though PST can give you wicked stomach cramps!!!!

Nope there is no way to tell whatsoever, no dosages no guidelines sorry totally random you have to figure it out for yourself.

That is one of the biggest downfall of seeds quality is always a factor and varies greatly even from the same source. I would say it is an extremely poor substance to use for a taper unless you find a consistent source and just sip it until you are well or something. Other downsides are the stomach cramping and the fact that it is many different random chemicals also it is extremely disgusting. Heavy metals might be leeched in there, etc. Also easy to OD on.

The plus sides are it is still an opiate hey better than nothing.

I will suggest if you want a really strong dose you use a little lemon and cold water for your first wash leave for 10-15 mins. For the second use hot water and just a few minutes. Only cover the seeds as necessary. I'd say 90% of the alkaloids get washed off on the first pass. Anything past 2 is a waste despite what people say that's just placebo.

Again, impossible for anyone to tell you anything about how strong it is. It would be irresponsible to suggest a dosage if someone with even a strong tolerance did 5 pounds of certain seeds they would OD.