• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ghostfreak

Moderator: DC, F&TV, S&G
Staff member
Has anyone else watched 'John Dies' yet?

Have watched it multiple times and damn does it not disappoint! It does vary from the book a bit but if you're looking for something with equal bits horror/mind-bending/quirky - then this is for you,

Trailer
IMDB
wikipedia

Man, I really hated this movie. I wanted to love it because I'm a fan of David Wong's worked at Cracked and Don Coscarelli directed Bubba Ho-Tep which was surprisingly awesome, but John Dies at the End felt really amateurish. Also I paid money for it, which is something I wouldn't normally do, so maybe I was expecting too much.

The acting, aside from Paul Giamatti's few minutes of screen time, was awful (especially the David Wong character). The script played like a mixture of a Cracked article (lots of Cracked-like bits of trivia) and retarded high-concept sci-fi peppered with lots of screenwriting tropes - it felt like it was trying too hard to be deep and insightful and ended up being masturbatory and lame. I liked what the film was going for but the execution left a lot to be desired, imo.

I don't mean to start your thread off on a sour note, just giving a contrasting perspective.

Hey that's fine MrGrunge :)

The first 15 minutes or so I was thinking to myself 'is this it?', after reading the book and its sequel but i really felt it picked up from there; especially the bits with the Soy Sauce, Arnie, and the friendship between Dave and John.

One thing that annoyed me was that they changed the dog's name to Bark Lee, I preferred Molly as in the book.

Watched it a few more times and it def has that 'Phantasm' feel to it.

I bumping this because I just saw it and I loved it. I didn't take any drugs besides weed, and I am kind of glad as it wasn't the easiest flick to follow. I will re-watch on LSD or shrooms some time. I am going to read book now for sure. I love Coscarelli, and Phantasm is one of my favourite movies. The tall man plays the phone in minister guy in John too.
IMO best "drug" movie in last few years, I was totally let down by A Scanner Darkly.

Had they not left so much of the book out, this would have easily been a five star movie. I understand that one page equals one minute of screen time and that there's only so much they can put on screen, but they cut huge chunks out. Most notably, the majority of Amy's story line and the ending involving
Dave being a clone
, which pretty much made the beginning, in which he was chopping up the body, go completely unexplained. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. Especially if you liked the movie.

Last edited:
Yeah the chopping of the body did not make sense i plan to pick up the book for sure.