• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Iv buprenorphine

Ragnathebloodedge

Greenlighter
To be clear I work in a hospital so getting the proper supplies has never been an issue for me so I don?t need a safety lecture. I guarantee I am safer than 99% of people on this site.

Second I?m not putting it in my ass. Never have put anything in my ass and I never will, at least until I?m in my mid 40?s and have to get a prostate exam and in which case someone else will be putting something in my ass... their finger.

I say these 2 things first because every search on the subject of iv buprenorphine leads immediately to you shouldn?t do it, buy a micron filter, or try putting it in your ass. Then leads to a whole off topic discussion about iv safety or the benefits of putting drugs in your ass.

I simply want to know if the effect lasts longer, or is more pronounced, or any details you can give me in comparison to sublingual. I read that bioavailability is only about 40% sublingual and seems to be a consensus across multiple sites medical and forums.

I don?t care to snort it either. Also if your story includes how you like to smoke weed, take amphetamines, and pop a few Xanax with it don?t even bother posting. Your post is null and void. I?m only interested in an actual sober comparison. However if you take a benzo daily as prescribed I?m willing to hear from you.

I?m not going to go home and try it tonight, I?ll wait for a legitimate response. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey there, this question isn't suitable for the empathogenic drugs subforum... I'm moving it to other Drugs.

MED -> OD

Sorry, missed the question.

Effect isn't more pronounced. Are you on other opiates and taking Sub for detox or what?

Higher bioavailability, somewhat shorter duration of action (still long), with no rush or even immediate onset. Those are the facts. Now for the opinion: It's not worthwhile. YMMV

Thanks for the replies, I?m on it for maintenance and will likely be on it for life. I take no other drugs except some meds for PTSD but those are not benzodiazepines. I don?t drink either. The VA said that I should be on it for life because of my history of replapse and overdose on drugs.
I wasn?t really planning on trying to get a rush from iv it but I thought that since the bioavailability is higher I figured you?d need less per day. Like it may help in a pinch.

I have IV'd bupe for a long time. I stopped a couple years ago. I cannot quote BA values, but it's definitely higher. The naloxone may alter this, or at least activity at the receptor sites. It also works faster- IV is instant vs the 30 sec to 1 min it takes for the SL to begin working. It takes less for the same effect. I also found no advantage to taking more than 1mg IV, while i found that taking 4, 8, 12, and 16 by SL route all give you incrementally greater effects. Whether the naloxone affects the IV route or it's just the nature of the drug I don't know. Are you IV'ing strips? You will also find that 2-3 injections/day are necessary to avoid WD, vs daily dosing for SL- longer duration (though I still preferred twice daily dosing of SL bupe).

If you had the bupe usually made for injections (usually supplied in ampules) this would be ideal, but it is pretty much unavailable to any patient, even on the street. Even though you don't want it I'm going to say it- you shouldn't do it. I find it pleasurable but it causes problems. For me it caused peripheral edema- my feet, ankles, and calves would swell with fluid and it has caused some nerve damage. It completely destroys your veins and MUCH quicker so than any substance produced for infection. Extravasion, or missing a vein will cause swelling, pain, and abscess; bad enough for possible amputation. My fingers and toes get colder than they used to and faster than before, and I believe bupe to be the cause by poor circulation. Where do the fillers end up? In your brain, lungs, microcapillaries?

If you ever decide to stop, quitting IV bupe is even harder than SL. Quitting heroin is considerably easier than bupe. I've done it before and a proper H taper is only mildly uncomfortable.

I know you didn't ask for the extra info, but I have to live with yourself. Anyways I hope I was useful. You will find little on the answers to your questions published, so you have to rely on anecdotal snippets.

ObieWan said:
IV is instant vs the 30 sec to 1 min it takes for the SL to begin working.

In my experience buprenorphine s.l. certainly does not start working after 30 sec. or 1 min., most pills won't even fully disintegrate so quickly IMO, honestly, it's the first time I see someone report s.l. bupe working so fast. When I started maintenance in 2012, I was getting hexagonal white (both 2mg and 8mg) Suboxone pills and they took ages to dissolve, a year or two later they must have changed the formula a bit as they were less hard and easier to break with fingers, but then I was switched to a generic buprenorphine-only pills and even though they disintegrate much quicker, I still crush them or make a solution and subjectively the earliest effects I can feel start after about 5 min. and only after 15 min. or so I can tell it's really working and by then I get the first relief if I'm already in mild withdrawal.

I IVd subs for years. IME, it causes a faster onset but no rush. Using more than 2mg at a time can leave a dirty feeling, somewhere in between feeling satiated and minor WD (maybe due to bupe partial agonist activity, maybe the IV naloxone at the higher dosages, I'm not to sure why this happens). After a few years ALL of my peripheral veins disappeared. I have to get blood draws through my subclavian now. Definitely not worth the toll it takes on your body.

All that being said I?ll stick to the SL route. I thought it would last longer iv since you get more of it but it doesn?t seem that way. I?m not even going to bother.

But thanks for the replies and not lecturing about safety or justifying the drugs in the ass methods?

If you want to get the highest absorption from the s.l. route and consistent effects from your dose, then go for a sublingual buprenorphine solution made from the pills. Just soak your dose in water, 0.1-0.15 mL per 1mg or less, just enough to cover the pills, in 5-10 minutes the pill(s) will absorb the water and disintegrate, you can add a few drops of water if it's too thick (alternatively you can crash them while wet), draw this liquid mass into a 1mL syringe, apply under your tongue, then wash the container with 0.2-0.3 mL water and draw it into the syringe, shake a bit, then apply it under your tongue. That way you have your dose administered with buprenorphine already dissolved in the minimum volume of liquid, you don't waste anything because of the time needed for pill disintegration and buprenorphine dissolution which is one of the main factors affecting how much is absorbed.

Above all, IV buprenorphine lasts faster and bioavailability is higher.
However, the effect itself depends largely on your experience with opioids. If you've been taking a lot of them, buprenorphine, regardless of the route of administration, will only stop withdrawal effects and slightly stabilize your mood. If you haven't taken it, buprenorphine can show its power - regardless of the route of administration. A long time ago, administering about 1mg IV gave me nod dreams that I haven't had with any substance. In addition, the duration of action was longer than in the case of classic opiates.

When I shooted Suboxone it definitely got me high because I had no tolerance but at the same time I got sick as hell and my liver enzymes shot through the roof. Also felt like I was in precips honestly

Don't shoot this stuff. I ran out of my hydromorph and last night figured i'd shoot a milligram of my emergency suboxone in my hand(easier to say i hit my hand then explain why my arms are a mess). I use clean needles and water but since then my hand feels cold. Zero high because i have a tolerance, just not worth it.

Oral is exactly the same, you may feel well a few minutes faster but that's about it

A total waste of time and effort. If you want buprenorphine injected into you in a aah that's effective, see if buvidal is available in your area via services. It's a life saver and you actually do get a bit of a buzz after the jab, even though you're not supposed to be interested in that should you get on the treatment.

(it's a slow-release shot of bupe that can be administered weekly or monthly and which is designed so that the bupe leaves your system so slowly, you barely have any w/ds - worth a shot for anyone trying to kick it).

But yeah, shooting bupe IV is a waste of time and effort. It will hit you faster but the bioavailability of subutex or whatever is effective enough. You'll get no rush or anything. Snorting it might help you if you're merely jonesing to get some kind of buzz but it isn't that kind of drug and the sublingual method works perfectly fine. Save your veins buddy.